What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

912 External Alternator Install?

BobRv4

Well Known Member
Anyone install an external alternator on your 912? I'm helping a buddy install one on his 912. The kit came from Australia with zero instructions or drawings. How did you disconnect the internal alternator? Did you wire the new alternator to the old external voltage regulator?

No idea what to do for the install, BUT------I believe the stock internal alternator has a couple of coils dedicated to the ignition system. You probably do not want to alter these.

Last edited:
Anyone install an external alternator on your 912? I'm helping a buddy install one on his 912. The kit came from Australia with zero instructions or drawings. How did you disconnect the internal alternator? Did you wire the new alternator to the old external voltage regulator?
The link below will give some info. Page 29-33 have a diagram.
If you intend to remove the spline driven alternator (it has built in regulator) you can reuse the connecting wires.
On the old alternator, the excitation terminal R provides power to the built in regulator.
On the new alternator, the Field terminal gets a regulated current (A) from the new external regulator.
The current (A) going to the Field terminal varies to uphold the set voltage (V).

Good luck

Last edited:
Consider utilizing both alternators with the original one being a backup to the external one. Set the voltage regulator output of the original alternator 1/2 volt below the setpoint of the new external one. The original internal alternator will not output any power unless the aircraft electrical system voltage drops.

Consider utilizing both alternators with the original one being a backup to the external one. Set the voltage regulator output of the original alternator 1/2 volt below the setpoint of the new external one. The original internal alternator will not output any power unless the aircraft electrical system voltage drops.

IIRC, the electrical power from the internal winding is actually a generator with a permanent magnet and does not have a field winding to modulate. (That's why we have a lot of power to dissipate in the external regulator and the resulting lifespan issues with those regulators.) It may make sense to rely on the internal 912 generator as primary with the external unit kicking in at 0.5 V below your regulated output.

(That's my understanding of the 912ULS. The 912iS has a different system. I belive it has two independently wound generators on the same rotor.)

IIRC, the electrical power from the internal winding is actually a generator with a permanent magnet and does not have a field winding to modulate. (That's why we have a lot of power to dissipate in the external regulator and the resulting lifespan issues with those regulators.) It may make sense to rely on the internal 912 generator as primary with the external unit kicking in at 0.5 V below your regulated output.

(That's my understanding of the 912ULS. The 912iS has a different system. I belive it has two independently wound generators on the same rotor.)
In 2019 I installed a 40 amp alternator on my Kitfox 912ULS to accommodate a fuel injection retrofit. Rotax dynamo (and regulator) power the MAIN fuel pump. 40A powers the main bus. 40 A Alternator schematic.jpgWorks quite well.

Thanks Floog! Im thinking just to make things simple, disconnect the 18amp alt and run only the 40? But will see once I get at it. Thanks agin for the drawing.

Back