What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

35-11: Canopy Deck install before Sub Panel Assembly

How did you finish your Canopy Deck parts?

• External Paint Color

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
I have finished my baggage floors and there’s a note about painting before moving forward. However, the fuse side “canopy deck” pieces are not installed yet. I was thinking it would be good to have these installed for cockpit painting.

The plans have you install the forward upper fuselage assembly on 35-08 BEFORE the canopy deck parts.

Does anyone think there would be any issue doing the canopy deck parts first?

Will I be able to install the rudder pedals etc and then drop the forward fuselage sub panel assembly in place with the canopy deck parts already installed?

Attachments

• IMG_7804.jpg
    IMG_7804.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7805.jpg
    IMG_7805.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 24
It seems from a quick fit up of the parts that the sub panel would slip down between the forward end of the forward canopy deck and the fuselage side frame.

Has anyone taken this approach?

Doing it this way would also allow me to glue on the air vent brackets and have these all painted final color at the same time.

I should also ask, I am assuming the canopy decks are normally painted in the cockpit color? Or do people paint them the external color?

Attachments

• IMG_7806.jpg
    IMG_7806.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7807.jpg
    IMG_7807.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 25
I left the canopy deck bare aluminum and occasionally shine it up. I figured it would stand up better than being painted. Its a pretty high traffic area.

I left the canopy deck bare aluminum and occasionally shine it up. I figured it would stand up better than being painted. Its a pretty high traffic area.

Interesting. Would you have a photo by any chance? Did you paint the inside faces and just leave the top? Or leave the whole part?

Back