What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1st messup. Replace this part, or get on with life?

Supereri

Well I was out in the garage doing my first work on the tail section. I mounted the Scotchbrite wheel. I was using the Scotchbrite wheel to cleen up the edges of the HS-603pp. The inboard bottom edge of this caught on the Scotchbrite wheel and bent the corner. This is the very center of the rear spar near where the bearing is located. I took the following pictures of the area in question.

I plan on calling Vans, but I wanted to get some feedback from fellow builders as well.

Also please please please give me some idea of the best edge deburring technique. I don't seem to be able to do this well.

Big pictures lie ahead.
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4

talk to Vans but.....

If this is the worst you ever do you'll have a pretty good plane at the end of the job. As always check with Vans but I wouldn't loose any sleep over this.

Peter

I tried to bend it back to shape asbest I could, and the pictures are after that. It seems to lie flat.

I am just like most new builders when they start and a little paranoid.

Any tips on edge dressing?

Thanks for the input.

I use the V-Shaped deburring tool, sandpaper and scotchbrite pads and roloc wheels depending on the job at hand.

You are on the right track.

Just press on.

:) CJ

Eric:

As has been stated earlier, this is definitely not of concern. As you get further into your project, you will have little mishaps like this (that is if you are mortal) and you will learn how to get around them. When you do run up against a challenge, always ask yourself these questions:

1) Does this make the airplane less safe?

2) Is it really an obvious flaw?

3) Will it bug me the entire time I own/fly the airplane?

4) Is the cost and hastle of replacing a particular part worth the effort?

5) Do I expect to win an award at OSH?

The most important question is number one. Everything else is purely cosmetic.

Have I made mistakes? Oh yeah! Have I ordered new parts? Yep, but not always. Do I fret over little mistakes and let them bother me? Yes, but to a lesser degree than when I started. Do I expect to win an award at OSH? Nope. Is my airplane going to be safe to fly? Definitely.

Try to do the best job that you can, but don't fret over too little of a detail like this. The sage old builders out there will tell you that you are building an airplane, not a watch.

As to edge prep...The deburring tool John mentioned is handy. You can do the same thing with a small file, followed by sandpaper and then a scotchbrite pad. I used to use my scotchbrite wheel on my lathe all the time, but now I just use the deburring tool or a file and then have at it with the sandpaper and scotchbrite pad.

Hope all this helps. Sorry about the pontificating.

Regards

Most of that part of the spar will be ground off when you set the elevators cause the horns will hit the bottom of the spar flange. Check out drawing 3, a detail by the ISO view explains this.

Hey Roberta, I saw your picture in Sport Aviation in the Insurance ad.

Did you get free insurance for posing next to your plane for them!?!

:p CJ

p.s. nice pic!

No, Just free publicity. My agent asked if I would do it. I think it's kind of nice to get a chance to show off your plane. I think anyone can do it, as long as they are your underwriter. Just send them a pic. They change the add frequently and give many builders and restorers their chance at 15 seconds of fame.

Like Roberta said, the flange will get cut off on the BOTTOM to clear the elevator horn. This much easier to do BEFORE the spar is riveted. The plans & instruction are pretty vague about this.

Derrell Brooks
[email protected]
RV7A Finish

Thank you all so much for the advice. I pressed on today and made some great progress. My hand is very tired from all of the clecos, but I am having a ton of fun.

Thanks again!!

If your hands are tired from clecoing, then you need to check this out:

http://www.yardstore.com/index.cfm?action=ViewDetails&ItemID=313&Category=88

There aren't that many parts on the empennage that require a large number of clecos, but when you get to the wings, you will find several times when all 200 of your #40 clecos are used-up. The pneumatic cleco installation/removal tool really helps. If you don't like it, then it only cost you $25. Also, Scott Haskins sold this very same tool on Ebay for $42 to a guy who let the bidding get out of hand.

Just flatten it out with your seaming pliers and press on. You will have many more head scratching moments in months to come. ;)

Jim Kinsey
7A Wings

Back