n8433w

My wife and I are hoping to use our RV8 for travel to an excellent viewing location for the total solar eclipse occurring April 8th and am interested in hearing suggestions for an airport on the line of totality. We are based in Northeast PA and ideally would prefer to be able to go round trip same day to avoid the challenge of finding lodging and ground transportation for that day. That said if there is a location that is just too good to miss we would make the effort.

Looking forward to the insight of the group and an RV trip to remember !

My wife and I are hoping to use our RV8 for travel to an excellent viewing location for the total solar eclipse occurring April 8th and am interested in hearing suggestions for an airport on the line of totality. We are based in Northeast PA and ideally would prefer to be able to go round trip same day to avoid the challenge of finding lodging and ground transportation for that day. That said if there is a location that is just too good to miss we would make the effort.

I, too, plan to fly to south/central Indiana or central Ohio for the experience.

Not sure which airport but definitely on the to-do list if weather permits! Urbana, OH - Grimes Field - I74 is probably a better choice. They have a restaurant that is open all day.

6B0 Middlebury Vermont is in the middle of the track ,I have a RV-10 based there. Thinking of climbing on top if it is overcast.

Great idea!

I was worried if Spring weather would be overcast and we would miss it but just get on top!
You must call the proposed airport(s) ASAP. Expect $100 tie down fees. Don't be surprised to hear that all tie-downs are booked. Expect substantial departure delays. And, expect a once in a lifetime experience, if the wx cooperates.

......or you can find a field somewhere to land in........😊 Easier to find with a Cub.....

That said, if you can go, GO! It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and there is nothing like it! This will be my third! Not telling you where we are going....I've been sworn to secrecy..... Much better to fly; then you can watch all the traffic on the ground backed up for MILES..... DSC_0128am.jpgDSC_0371 (1).JPGDSC_0355 (1).JPGDSC_0259.JPG
DSC_0128am.jpg

A few years ago, the total eclipse passed through Tennessee and South Carolina . Many airports along the line of totality were hosting watch parties on the ground, one of those being Triple Tree Aerodrome in South Carolina. We live in central NC, and knew the gathering would be huge at SC00, so being a little different than others (wife and I got married IN our RV-4), I suggested we view the eclipse at 11-12K above Triple Tree, ..of course, she was all in for that. We departed our home field of 8A7 about 45 min before the target time of totality and climbed through the small developing typical pop-up T-storms and hit 12K over SC00 (looked to be several hundred aircraft parked there)watching the onset through the "glasses" by switching who flys vs who looks at the sun. At totality, glasses aren't needed and for a minute you just stare at awe. Temps went from warm to cabin heat and darkness with a 360 degree sunset and the eclipse direct overhead...in a moment its over, and sled ride back to 8A7. We were in the air for about 1:45 and back home before many of the ground viewers got out of the Conga line at SC00...I would recommend "In air" viewing to anyone who wants to get the full effect for sure. The skies were nearly aircraft free that day, and we truly lucked out on a perfect event.

Attachments

• Total.jpg
    Total.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 76
  • 360 around.jpg
    360 around.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 80
I live in the Columbus, OH area, and plan on driving as it is so close, but you may want to have a look at KMFD Mansfield OH. It is a large clase Delta, that has lots of ramp space. The FBO had a Subway at one point, but I don't think that is open anymore. I have never paid a ramp fee there, but things may be different with the eclipse. While you are there you can check out the Shawshank (Redemption) prison. I have never done it, but I have been told, if scheduled, there is a crew car that they let you take to go see the prison.

You must call the proposed airport(s) ASAP. Expect $100 tie down fees. Don't be surprised to hear that all tie-downs are booked. Expect substantial departure delays. And, expect a once in a lifetime experience, if the wx cooperates.
Fortunately, we have a large number of sleepy country airports in the path of totality, mostly attended by cows and deer.

We flew into Walnut Ridge Arkansas last December and the FBO already had viewing classes for sale. The managers were the nicest people and said they expect a nice group of pilots to come for the eclipse. They have a nice FBO and a huge tarmac for as many planes as needed. It used to be a WWII training base. There is also a great Air Force and WWII museum.

If you are in that part of the country, i can recommend stopping there. http://walnutridgeairport.com/ KARG

I have seen 3x eclipses on three continents .
The weather prospects in the path of totality are the most important thing.
In this eclipse, the further south you go the better.
The best places will be in Mexico.
I am going to South Texas.
The cloud climate forecast for S. Texas is about 40%.
Mexico has about 75-85% chance of being clear starting about 100 miles south of the boarder.
Be prepared to changes location the day of the eclipse. Drive or fly.

Max

I have been searching for the path of totality overlayed on a sectional but no joy so far ☹️
If you are using ForeFlight, import the .kmz file linked below. Should work for Garmin Pilot if it allows importing .kmz files. Works with Google Earth, of course.

.kmz file --> Monday, April 8, 2024

Screenshot showing the center of totality and the boundaries of totality in ForeFlight:

IMG_1023.PNG

Last edited:
If the weather up there isn't good, we're in Texas so you have an alternative. The title says South Texas but we're in East Texas (northeast corner of the state) so we're a lot closer to you than the title states:

If you are using ForeFlight, import the .kmz file linked below. Should work for Garmin Pilot if it allows importing .kmz files. Works with Google Earth, of course.

That's awesome Carl, thank you!

Dave

Here the one of the best sight for information.

Get Eclipse viewers at someplace that sells telescope equipment, not amazon.
There have been counterfeit versions that could damage your eyes.
Try Agena Astro or high point scientific

They are only needed during the partial phases.
Be sure to remove them as soon as totality starts or you won't see squat
Lodging in many areas near center line have been booked for months.

Get Eclipse viewers at someplace that sells telescope equipment, not amazon.
There have been counterfeit versions that could damage your eyes.
Try Agena Astro or high point scientific
Good advice. Welder glasses: no. Layers of film negatives: no. Get specific-made equipment. If you want to take pictures of the partial phases, don't forget a GOOD camera filter. Not sure what is available for phone cameras.
Lodging in many areas near center line have been booked for months.
Have tent; will travel!! ⛺

Might be the most amazing thing you will see in your lifetime! BOOM!

Attachments

• DSC_0410.JPG
    DSC_0410.JPG
    779 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0381 (1).JPG
    DSC_0381 (1).JPG
    774.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0373 (1).JPG
    DSC_0373 (1).JPG
    751.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0336.JPG
    DSC_0336.JPG
    846.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0313.JPG
    DSC_0313.JPG
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 28
Good advice. Welder glasses: no. Layers of film negatives: no. Get specific-made equipment. If you want to take pictures of the partial phases, don't forget a GOOD camera filter. Not sure what is available for phone cameras.

Have tent; will travel!! ⛺

Might be the most amazing thing you will see in your lifetime! BOOM!
Why not a welder hood? If you can look directly at the sun with a welder's hood and it doesn't bother your eyes, why can't you look at a partial eclipse?

Why not a welder hood? If you can look directly at the sun with a welder's hood and it doesn't bother your eyes, why can't you look at a partial eclipse?
I would have *guessed* that a welder's hood would be okay. However, you must be sure that the glass/filter blocks UV and IR light that your eyes do not see. Otherwise your first warning sign might be smoke coming out of your eyeballs -:)

I would have *guessed* that a welder's hood would be okay. However, you must be sure that the glass/filter blocks UV and IR light that your eyes do not see. Otherwise your first warning sign might be smoke coming out of your eyeballs -:)
Then I guess the $39 Harbor Freight welder's hood blocks all that because it worked during the partial eclipse months ago and all of us who used it still have our eyesight with no complaints.

Then I guess the $39 Harbor Freight welder's hood blocks all that because it worked during the partial eclipse months ago and all of us who used it still have our eyesight with no complaints.
Be careful with auto darkening welding helmets. I don't believe looking up at the sun is enough to get the auto darkening to work. In my experience, they need the flash of an ark to start darkening.

Be careful with auto darkening welding helmets. I don't believe looking up at the sun is enough to get the auto darkening to work. In my experience, they need the flash of an ark to start darkening.
I know it's enough to darken them because that's what it did every time.

Heck, I wouldn't worry much about your eyes! They aren't THAT important. :oops:

Injuries to the retina (the part of the back of your eye you see with) can be insidious. If you have a good ophthalmologist (that would be an MD, not an OD) that can do a retinal scan, it would be interesting to see if you did any damage that you can't detect. That light also has to go through the lens of your eye and cataracts can be an effect of Sun exposure. As it is damage the effects of which can show up later, I would not risk my eyes using something that was not specifically indicated for viewing the Sun.

IMHO. (I do have a smidge of a medical background.....) But it's your eyesight. YMMV....

Hardware store bolts are OK for airplanes, right? They look the same. They are still where I put them when I tightened them up......:oops::oops::oops:

Heck, I wouldn't worry much about your eyes! They aren't THAT important. :oops:

Injuries to the retina (the part of the back of your eye you see with) can be insidious. If you have a good ophthalmologist (that would be an MD, not an OD) that can do a retinal scan, it would be interesting to see if you did any damage that you can't detect. That light also has to go through the lens of your eye and cataracts can be an effect of Sun exposure. As it is damage the effects of which can show up later, I would not risk my eyes using something that was not specifically indicated for viewing the Sun.

IMHO. (I do have a smidge of a medical background.....) But it's your eyesight. YMMV....

Hardware store bolts are OK for airplanes, right? They look the same. They are still where I put them when I tightened them up......:oops::oops::oops:
Actually I got a retina scan last month and have been doing it every 2 years because I know how important my eyes are. My ophthalmologist is Dr Bains (John Hopkins med school graduate with 27 years experience) and he's pretty good.

I also get one with the eye exam for my glasses every year (but I only end up needing new glasses every 4 or 5 years) but it's not as complete as the one done by the ophthalmologist.

My Hangar buddies and I are planning on sending out invites to all our RV friends to fly to our home base, KGEZ for the eclipse. This airport is within walking distance of totality. Watch for future updates. I'm sure all airports in the track will be covered the day of the event. Stay tuned:).

Don’t know that an auto darkening welding lens would react dependably, but NASA says welding shades 12,13 and preferably 14 are acceptable. Just go dig out that old ancient helmet before they came out with that new fanged auto-magical darkening thingy
3124827C-DDD6-4204-BB42-3A562A1E55E3.png

Don’t know that an auto darkening welding lens would react dependably, but NASA says welding shades 12,13 and preferably 14 are acceptable. Just go dig out that old ancient helmet before they came out with that new fanged auto-magical darkening thingy View attachment 56309
Well it looks like my experience has been validated by NASA, cool.

I, too, plan to fly to south/central Indiana or central Ohio for the experience.

Not sure which airport but definitely on the to-do list if weather permits! Urbana, OH - Grimes Field - I74 is probably a better choice. They have a restaurant that is open all day.
If you're looking for a place in central Indiana, come to KGEZ, my home base airport. My hangar is on the southeast side of the airport. We have 3 RV's, a Carbon Cub, and one other experimental in progress. As of now, the airport managers have not do not have plans of charging for tie downs, etc. My hangert is experimental friendly, and we will probably be grilling burgers, etc, and maybe try and get some food trucks to show up. There is plenty of room for aircraft parking, and cars too. We are extremely close of the path of totality:).

Last edited:
Attached is my planned route from Midland for an in-flight eclipse experience.
Coming in from California day before, meeting my wife in Midland TX (Southwest cheater) and staying overnight.
Depart Midland, troll along the path as long as possible10.5K, then head back. All WX permitting.
Hope to hear other RV's in the air (what freq ?).

Attachments

• Eclipse- Texas route-1.pdf
    215.5 KB · Views: 75
If you live in the South Central of the U.S., one of the best places will be KRUE, Russellville, AR. I understand that this is one of the
places that NASA is planning to visit.
Dwight Talburt, Ph.D., CFiI, ATP
RV9A, N939DT

Reiterating a post above….call ahead to any airport along the path you plan to use. We are hearing of fees in the $100-150 range, but have seen one at $400+!! Some are earning those fees with services, facilities, and fun events at the airport. The $400 location will only get you a place to tie down and a ride to/from town. Research= time well spent.

With this getting closer, anyone near ft Worth or san Antonio have updated info on places to fly into or events that are happening? We're planning on heading to new Mexico the day before, taking the 2ish hour flight to TX in the morning, then heading back to NM right after.

EAA 323 at KGYI Sherman Texas will be doing burgers and brats starting 11ish. 99.977 totality. Peak at 13:44 come join us. Check out RV 14A in progress

My wife and I viewed the 2017 eclipse from our RV-6A at 9,500 over Tennessee. The weather was clear and it was a great experience. A few things to note. 1) There was a surprising amount of other traffic doing the same so keep a good lookout, 2) I could hear at least three airports announcing skydivers jumping in the dark so I would avoid any airport overflights, and 3) I suggest offsetting your course a few miles to the upwind side of the centerline. The reason is that hundreds of instrumented weather balloons are launched into the path all the way across the country. They climb very high, then release their instrument payloads to free fall down to about 3,000 feet before the chutes open. The info is in notams, but pretty useless obviously.

My airport - KHAO - is in the path of totality, but so is my patio. Some of my non-pilot friends have informed me that there will be a party on my patio - and I’m invited……. so no need to fly anywhere. This will be my last total eclipse, unless I’m the next Methuselah.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this eclipse. I already have a reserved spot at Gillespie airport (T82, Texas). Hope to see other RVers there.
BUT, also looking forward to wildflower overflights, returning home, at Anza-Borrego and Carrizo Plain's. Bonus final stop at Halter Ranch Ranch (via their airstrip) to pick up the Spring wine release.

For everyone joining us at Vaca Moo Airport TA37 in East Texas (up to now 37 RVs have requested to come plus a few Cessnas, Pipers, etc), if you're already here camping during the weekend that's great, but if not we might have lots of planes trying to get here that Monday morning.

For EVERYONE coming here that day or this weekend, please text me your N number ON THE DAY OF your arrival as soon as you have your ETA. This way we'll know who you are when you call us on our Unicom 123.00 as you're getting close.

You can get my phone number on AirNav.com, or practically any aviation app under TA37, or you can PM here.

No lights anywhere around here so it's going to get dark. Look at these pictures I took last night of my golfcart. One picture without flash and the other with flash, same 3' distance, didn't move between shots !

Aside from that, the runway has long orange fencing markers across each approach end (see picture of the view from my neighbor's property). Please land on the runway, not the tillered area on the side of the runway or on the taxiway. Sadly a few days ago a pilot learned the hard way what could have been avoided if he had his radio on the correct Unicom frequency and landed on the actual runway (zoom into the picture).

Attachments

• Golfcart no Flash.JPG
    Golfcart no Flash.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • Golfcart with Flash.JPG
    Golfcart with Flash.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 55
Up here in the NorthEast.. my plan is to fly to the airport with the shortest runway .. the thinking is that most pilots will be going to the "normal" size airports.. or alternatively, go to Plattsburgh Int'l which is a Class E field with a 10,000' runway and an apron the size of rhode island.

don't use welding goggles.. they apparently don't block enough of the UV or IR. i forget which..