What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Previous travel write-ups

Dorfie

Well Known Member
This is my first post. My name is Johan and I live in Lexington, KY. Have been interested in RV's for years, and finally bit the bullet and bought a RV 10 empennage! Hope I can do this!!
Within the past year someone had a great write-up on a trip to the Grand Canyons area if I remenber correctly. My wife and I are planning a flying trip from LEX to the Canyons area early Sept. I can remember one photo of a landing strip in the foreground and a hotel/motel in the background in what seemed a desolated area. The owners from the hotel picked them up at the strip. On the same thread were many beautiful pictures of reddish rocks and water worn valleys etc. That hooked me and would like to explore that area. I have been unable to locate that write-up. Any help in locating it will be appreciated, as well as suggestions what to see and do in that area, where to fly and not to fly.
Thanks.
Johan

That was probably Monument Valley. I did it years ago and a more recent one was probably by Scott Schmidt (RV-10)

http://www.airnav.com/airport/UT25

www.gouldings.com

Do take a tour of Monument Valley. Fly over the Grand Canyon. Get the official map showing the flight corridors. You can also land at Grand Canyon and stay in the park.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!!!!

This is my first post. My name is Johan and I live in Lexington, KY. Have been interested in RV's for years, and finally bit the bullet and bought a RV 10 empennage! Hope I can do this!!

Johan

Johan, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

The 10 is a piece of cake to assemble, the instructions are totally top notch, and the pre punch work is dead on.

That said, you will probably benefit greatly from a weekend builders school.

At the very least, if there is a local EAA chapter, join it.

There is a "white pages" list in the front page of the website, try clicking on the big VAF logo on the top left of any page, it will take you to the home page. Look at the list on the left, and you will find the white pages offering.

Look up someone in your area, pretty sure they will be willing to help.

Of course, you may very well get offers here on the forum long before you can get through the white pages stuff.

Again, welcome aboard.

The ten is a great plane;)

My son and I just flew the Grand Canyon two weeks ago, on our return from Oshkosh.

We began our Grand Canyon tour by stopping in Sedona KSEZ for lunch. Get fuel there and the airport will give you a rental car for up to two hours - free! Sedona is located up on a mesa, and is shaped like an aircraft carrier. In fact, for $2.50, you can purchase a certificate, complete with your name and N-number, stating your accomplishment of landing on the USS Sedona.

From Sedona, we flew direct to Bar Ten 1Z1. This is located within the rim of the Grand Canyon, and has a beautiful B&B lodge located just above the airstrip. The Bar Ten Lodge caters to the Colorado River rafting business, but the place is just as good for fly-in guests.

284451_2291745737713_1371100627_2732320_1996000_n.jpg

The runway isn't very wide, but it's easily handled by an RV. Announce arrival on CTAF, and they'll be down to pick you up in a Gator before you finish tying down.

252152_2291752097872_1371100627_2732329_7937934_n.jpg

Bar Ten Lodge has three different places to get some shut-eye. First, they have about fifteen canastoga wagons for lodging. The wagons have a double bed in the rear. This is a great way to be outdoors but still have your own "place" to call home. Second, a lot of guests simply lay out sleeping pads on the deck and sleep under the stars. The weather is so mild in the evening that this is a favorite among the younger crowd. Finally, there are about five inside rooms that are good for a family with children or maybe the "older generation".

283454_2291748177774_1371100627_2732326_3374307_n.jpg

281541_2291749817815_1371100627_2732328_5887437_n.jpg

Dinner and breakfast are included in the basic package, and are worth every penny. Bar Ten is a working cattle ranch, so the steaks on the BBQ are fresh and local! Breakfast is huge - come hungry! For those not riding the river, there are daytime activities, including ATV rides, saddle rides, hikes, pistol and skeet shooting , helicopter rides, etc. There's plenty of time to relax and read a book or nap or ... In the evening, they put on a little variety show and then make s'mores around a campfire. (Basic package was about $110/person)

The next day, my son and I flew the Grand Canyon, following the VFR corridors depicted on the Special Grand Canyon Sectional. At the end of our flight, we landed at Marble Canyon L41 and stayed at the Marble Canyon Lodge. The lodge is located across the street from the airstrip. There's a nice diner/cafe at the lodge, and Lee's Ferry is about five miles away. There are a couple of day hikes nearby - the motel staff have a handout with info about things to do.

283294_2291757418005_1371100627_2732333_4747383_n.jpg

I will probably take my wife to do the Grand Canyon - now that I've practiced it with my son. Next time, I'll skip Marble Canyon. I'll fly into Bar Ten for an evening, fly out the next day for a quick overflight of the Grand Canyon, and then back to Bar Ten for a second night. Sedona is about 45 minutes south of Bar Ten, Las Vegas is about an hour west.

I wish I had pictures to post, but they're all in my son's camera.:(

Last edited:
Thanks to all

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, found what we were looking for and much more.:D Both very excited and looking forward to the trip. Did not know one can overfly the canyons!! Will take some time for my plane to get to that kind of altitude to overfly!:eek: (TB10, lovely touring a/c though).
Once again thanks for all the replies. Cannot be better! Amazing website this!!
Johan

Back