What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A short trip to the west: Monument Valley, Page, Grand Canyon, and Seldona

tc1234c

Well Known Member
A short trip to the west: Monument Valley, Page, Grand Canyon, and Sedona

It has been a long time since I dreamed about flying my own airplane to Monument Valley and the area. Finally I did it. My wife had a conference in Chicago from October 31 to November 3rd. We decided to take the rest of the week off and fly to the west. In just a few days we have done so much and had so much fun. Here are a few of our photos and links to our albums and videos. If you are interest in more detailed writeup, please scroll to the end and find the link.

APRS track from October 30 to November 8. 2009
Track%20of%20KD8IIR%20-%20Google%20Chrome%201182009%2043933%20PM.bmp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Landing Chicago Midway 9:00 am on October 31. Ramp parking $60/day, hangar, $100/day. Not going back again.

IMG_3343.JPG

Final runway 31L:

IMG_3349.JPG

November 3, somewhere in western Kansas:
IMG_3757.JPG

Sunset over eastern Colorado:

IMG_3873.JPG

November 4, over mountains north of Durango.

Picture%20358.jpg

Monument Valley in sight:

Picture%20110.jpg

Parked at Goulding Lodge airport:
IMG_4360.JPG

Goulding Lodge museum:
IMG_4397.JPG

We flew the same places you listed... a few weeks ago. Drove to the north rim of the Grand Canyon from Page. We cheated a bit though. Only had to fly from Salt Lake City.. (2 hrs. to Page):) It's sure beautiful country though! Almost went back to Page/Lake Powell this weekend.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Marble Canyon bridges:
IMG_5547.JPG

November 6, ready to depart Page:
IMG_8561.JPG

Marble Canyon:
IMG_5666.JPG

Grand Canyon:
IMG_5789.JPG

Ted:

You always have wonderful write ups
Thanks so much for sharing your trips
They are very enjoyable reads
The photos are absolutely fantastic.

one suggestion: put copyright mark on the photos... they are valuable assets.

RVnoob,

Glad you enjoy it. Well, I am doing it for fun and don't mind people use whatever I have to share.

L.Adamson,

You live in a beautiful country!
My area has it own charm but not as grand as the Rocky and the south west. Definitely we want to come back. It only takes a few free days to make the trip.

Thanks Ted

Ted,

I have used your builders log a couple times for help. And now your trip for motivation. Thanks X2

Ted,
My buddy and I were tracking you guys almost everyday after you left New York. Great photo/video operator you have! Would it be possible to do such a nice trip alone?
Very motivational, thank You!

L.Adamson,

You live in a beautiful country!
My area has it own charm but not as grand as the Rocky and the south west. Definitely we want to come back. It only takes a few free days to make the trip.

Thanks, we do have some pretty diverse scenery around here! And your pictures came out a lot better than most of mine!

And BTW ----On a future trip, you can always go north to Jackson Hole & Yellowstone too.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

It is always fun to share the fun :).
Vlad, you need to find a right seater who likes to take photos. Maybe your 9A will help you to find one:D.

After our boys got their drivers license we did a week long driving trip from Indiana to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier, Mt. Rushmore, and Devil tower. Definitely I want to fly over those places. The national park I like the most is Yosemite. My wife also want to visit Alaska. Well, we need RV-10 to carry all the luggage for such a long trip :D. It is always nice to have something to wish for.

$60 parking at Midway?! Should have just flown into Meigs......err, nevermind. :mad:

Great write up and pics - I really like the one with the hot air balloons.

most photos and videos were taken with:

Canon PowerShot SD1100IS

A few photos were taken by:

Canon Digital Rebel XTi, EF-S 18-55mm lens and Opteka HD2 fisheye attachment

By the way, I feel compelled to point out that there is no 'l' in Sedona. Also, I keep seeing Grand Canyon area pictures but we never hear of anyone dropping in, even though there are 2.5 RVs in Flagstaff, and several in Sedona and Cottonwood (not to mention others scattered around the area and the whole Southern Arizona contingent).

Thanks for the correction.
The beauty of your area is overwhelming, no time for anything else:D.

Nice pictures Ted

most photos and videos were taken with:

Canon PowerShot SD1100IS

A few photos were taken by:

Canon Digital Rebel XTi, EF-S 18-55mm lens and Opteka HD2 fisheye attachment

Why is it that I always get canopy glare when I take pictures and you don't?

What is your technique for not getting the reflections?

Kent

Just move the camera around and find a spot and an angle that does not reflect. At least that what I do. My wife took most of the photos. I believe that is what she did too.

Back