What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NARCO Avionics- what effect on X Com?

rjtjrt

Well Known Member
NARCO Avionics In Liquidation.
How does this effect X-Com radios?
John

Last edited:
Reply from XCOM Avionics

Hello John, thank you for posting your question which has been referred to me by another forum member for answering.

Fortunately, XCOM Avionics knew about these difficulties early in the year, very early January if I remember correctly and we have been working with the Narco owner at putting systems in place where it won't affect our business whatsoever.

The XCOM Radio has been built in the USA by Narco avionics, Narco don't actually do any of the board loading, e.g. putting electronics on the circuit boards because this is done by another US contract company. That same company will continue to load XCOM boards exactly the same as they have done for the past three years.

Many of the Narco employees are close or overdue for retirement but there are a few there still with a few years left to run and these guys are starting their own business supporting and repairing Narco products in the field and also doing the final assembly and testing/tuning of the XCOM Radio.

Basically it is the same manufacturer and the exact same people putting it together and testing as what has happened for the past several years. We don't expect any problems whatsoever because nothing has really changed for XCOM Avionics.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Alan Hanks who is the owner of Narco Avionics for doing such a great job over the past three years that we have been involved with them. It is been a pleasure to have this business cooperation and also their friendships. We wish the retiring Narco employees all the best in the future.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Many thanks Michael Coates XCOM Avionics

More Info

Michael also promptly replied to my personal e-mail inquiry, and below is his reponse with some additional info. I'm proceeding to install my Xcom radio plus the remote head control for the rear cockpit of my 8A. My personal opinion is that Xcom (Michael) has a well-planned response to the Narco closing and may end up with a stronger, more focused, Xcom product and support system than before the closing.

Bill Palmer :)

Hello Bill,

Thank you for the e-mail. It is business as usual at XCOM Avionics because we have known about Narco's problems since the beginning of January and have implemented plans from that date because they told us they would only last until April unless some huge contracts came through from Lockheed Martin. Unfortunately the contract didn't come through and Narco closed last Friday. The radio will be continued to be manufactured in the USA using the same contract manufacturer who did it before. Example is Narco didn't actually put the parts onto the circuit boards this was done by a contract manufacturer and the same company continues to make XCOM Radios to this day. Narco assembled and tested the XCOM Radio and many of the people that were working for Narco have committed to continuing the building of XCOM Radios under their own company when they start again in three weeks time. Basically with Narco closing I understand they are having a two or three week break and then they start again in a new location building XCOM Radios and supporting Narco radios in the field. At the same time we are starting parallel manufacture with a new manufacturer in Europe which will satisfy our European customers and requirements so there is no problem with support of the product for the foreseeable future because we are still making them in Australia and have our own engineering team, we had an engineering team in Europe and will shortly be starting manufacturer there as well and we have about 300 collective years of experience with the Narco boys who are starting up their own venture and will also continue to assemble, test and tune the XCOM Product. I doubt any customers will know any difference because as mentioned it is still the same people loading the circuit boards it is still the same people testing.

Thank you again,

Michael Coates, XCOM Avionics

Narco Avionics Closes Doors

For those of us who have Narco radios, this does not bode well. I have a MK-12D in both my PA-20 and -6. They work well right now, but I guess will be paperweights in the near future. Here is their home page:

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret to inform you that after over 65 years in business, Narco Avionics, Inc. has closed. A trustee will be appointed shortly to oversee liquidation of assets and assure return of Customer's property, such as Customer's Radios sent to Narco for service, as soon as possible. We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience this causes and thank all loyal Narco Customers, around the world, for their loyalty over all of these years! Please monitor this web site as informational updates will be provided as soon as possible

No post-NARCO support for X-COM in the US yet

On April 25th Michael Coates of X-COM said in a private e-mail that "We have not resurrected a service centre yet in the USA but it is something we are working towards in the next few weeks". But as of today (June 28) I have yet to hear back from him with details.

Don't be impatient ! ...... if you need something repaired we have the ability to do this in the USA at the moment but we have not appointed an 'official service centre'.

We are waiting to speak with some repair shops at Oshkosh before we make a commitment and spend thousands on training etc. many thanks Michael

From personal dealings with Michael Coates, I know him to be a man of his word. I suppose getting things done right can take a bit of time.

Bob

Back