What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switch lights not working now?

MLock

Well Known Member
I noticed in New Blue that since I did the latest Dynon software upgrade, my switch lights no longer work. Spoke with Ken Krueger yesterday. Here's the solution.

Get into the EMS Menu

Push "Setup"
Push "Global"
Select "Alarm config"
Select "Lgt Bhvr"
Set to "Dim Output"

Get out of menu

I tried it and it works.

Switch Lights

I noticed this to. It?s a very subtle thing. Basically the small green lights in the switches act like Annunciation lights after you do the software update. Turn on the Master Switch, then the avionics switch, then observe the lights in the switches and see what they do. I have the initial Alarms inhibited on the Dynon for 5 mins after power up per the installation manual. After power is supplied to the Dynon my green lights in the switches begin to blink in conjunction with the low EGTs and other alerts that are blinking on the EMS screen before engine start. After engine start when all the alerts go out because they are all now in the green arks the green lights go out altogether since there are no alarms. So any time an alarm goes off the green lights come on, no alarm no lights. Since most RV12s fly during the day I think no one has noticed this yet. Ill be up to the hanger in the next few days so Ill try this new fix. Thanks Mitch

John
RV12 N1212K

Had the same problem last week

We had the same problem last week as well- I was flying right at dusk and wondered why they were not on. However, they were on when we checked them on the ground after the flight. Pretty important for those of us who have the plane equipped for VFR night flight.

Thanks for sharing this Mitch.

Jeff

We're in touch with Vans, and it turns out that the setting that you've described got accidentally toggled on the master unit that they use to create the settings file that gets distributed to the fleet. So just know that there isn't a "software bug" in the sense that there is something broken or corrupt with the software, but just a setting that can be fixed with an updated settings file. Vans is in the process of updating that file, but until it's published on their site, the fix described here should work.

Mike Schofield
Product Manager

I noticed in New Blue that since I did the latest Dynon software upgrade, my switch lights no longer work. Spoke with Ken Krueger yesterday. Here's the solution.

Get into the EMS Menu

Push "Setup"
Push "Global"
Select "Alarm config"
Select "Lgt Bhvr"
Set to "Dim Output"

Get out of menu

I tried it and it works.

Mitch always comes thru! Just so you know, on a windy day when you're trying to put your canopy cover on (not a one-man job!) Mitch will appear just in time to rescue you. Thx Mitch.

I have a question?

So after Vans gets the new file done are we going to have to upload the 5.4 software again?

John
RV12 N1212K

No - the new settings file will just modify the existing settings. If you tweak the setting per above you'll have basically done the same thing that the updated settings file will do.

Hey Dynon

Hope that you are talking to Van's about an 'option' of installing a Skyview. It would be so nice to have that when I get to the avionics install my RV-12 in a year or so.

Also, since I don't know much about computers, I am concerned that I will have trouble performing updates, etc. Any thoughts?

Back