What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding air to RV-10 tires...

broken1234

I'm looking for a creative solution to the problem with adding air to the tires on an RV-10...
Has anybody come up with the magic tool to easily access the valve stems through a reasonably small (1") hole? I see odd tire tools in A/C Spruce and Snap-On catalogs that may be useful...
A curved, rigid valve stem on the main gear would also make this an easier task. Is there a tube out there that would include this on a 15 X 6.0-6 tire?
An alternative would be a camlock-attached access panel giving you a larger hole to work through, but I hate to have to do that at this point (after paint)

Thanks!

Brad

I think so... I've been looking in the Snap-On catalog at a similar device. On the nose gear, that is probably the solution... use a nutdriver to remove the cap, then this tool to add/check air, then replace the cap using the nutdriver.

On the mains, the installed tube has a straight, flexible valvestem. I'm thinking about trying to find a tube that has a rigid curved one... this would align better with the hole. I've seen this type on Lancairs, so hopefully it exists...

Brad

air

rotsa ruck!!! a hole with cover like 'cirrus' helps on main gear--still a real struggle to get extension on, then ok. nose gear--remove panties. if anyone has a better idea i'd love to hear it. maybe solid tires so you don't have to worry about air!! (obviously 'leak' proof tubes makes need for air infrequent. larry

Just pucker up your lips and blow...you know ho....never mind:rolleyes:

Nothing short of pulling the front wheel pant cover, not a bad thing really. I think those little RF pressure senders would be cool, at least you know the pressure without pulling the pant apart...but nothing magic I've found to date for filling/checking them.

I saw one this weekend on Bill Gibson's RV-10.

They're putting a hole in the wheel pant that's around 1.5" in diameter. .

They can push the door in and access the valve stem.

The way they did it is by building a door that plugs the hole perfectly. Then gluing the door on the end of an old hacksaw blade cut back to around 6". So if you looked at it, it would look a lot like a lollipop. At the other end of blade (the part of the lollipop that's held in your hand) they secured it to the inside of the wheel pant with a single screw.

This lets them push in on the door and slide itout of the way on the inside of the wheel pant. (Door pivots at the screw previously mentioned)

Once they're done, they can slide the door back into position and the hacksaw blade holes the magic door into position from the backside.

Looks pretty good so far. I'm curious to see how it looks after some vibration and weather. But it really doesn't look bad at all....

Sorry I don't have any pics. If I had seen this thread earlier, I would have snapped some with my blackberry last weekend.

Phil

I'v seen tha hacksaw blade trick done before... it's pretty tough to get the tension just right, then the blade fatigues over time (actually, not much time). If I try something like this I may opt for a spring loaded hidden hinge intended for use on a cabinet door, assuming there is room.

Am I the only one who likes to pull the wheel pants just to check the condition of the tires?

I do this every month or two when I need to fill the tires. Of course, this might change now that I have just installed Airstoppers.

Nearly two hours

to check air pressure and look at the brakes. Just did it yesterday. 98% of the time was spent removing and replacing fairings.

OK... answer me this question; if I had a stiffer valvestem I think I could fabricate a nozzle to slip in through my 1" hole and add air. The mains take a 15 x 6.0-6 tire. Can any of you guys tell me if there is a brand/type of tube out there that incorporates a stiff straighter valve stem. This would eliminate the need to stick one's hand in there to hook up the air tool.

1" hole in pants

I have a 1" hole in each of my pants. This is plugged with a snap in cover. On the nose tire it is located so that when the curved valve stem is straight back from the axel I can fill it with a straight air chuck like the truck guys use.

On the mains I use the truck type with a 45 degree chuck and have no difficulty filling all the tires in under 10 minutes.

Gary Specketer

Saw-blade installation

Here are a few pictures (I hope.. first time to download pictures) of the sawblade solution. This in conjunction with the 45 degree chuck should solve the problem of airing up the mains. Did the same thing on the nose wheel pant. Let me know if the photos don't come thru.

N730WL is now in the paint shop here in Conroe. Hope to be flying again soon.:)

Here are a few pictures (I hope.. first time to download pictures) of the sawblade solution. This in conjunction with the 45 degree chuck should solve the problem of airing up the mains. Did the same thing on the nose wheel pant. Let me know if the photos don't come thru.

N730WL is now in the paint shop here in Conroe. Hope to be flying again soon.:)

Good to hear that Bill! Are you coming to Sun-n-Fun?

The only problem with the side ports is when you don't have a compressor around. I had to help fellow RV-10 pilot out at Osh who had a flat tire. I had one of those car tire pumps so we still had to take the wheel pant off.

Florida here we come

Todd, yes we plan to be at Sun N Fun. In fact, we are planning to be in Florida in March for Astros Spring Training in Kissimmee.

Once N730WL is out of the paint shop, we'll reassemble and fly locally for a while to pile up some hrs. (and confidence) before we go cross-country. It'll be like starting over Phase I. We made some changes to the cooling system, ECU, and I installed a new MT 3-blade prop taking some weight out of the front-end. Should make the 10 feel a little lighter on the nose.

Back