What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fueling the RV-12-Looking for Ideas

MartySantic

Well Known Member
Looking for ideas.....

The best that I have been able to find, so far, is the steel gas caddy from Northern Tool to get auto gas to the hangar and into the RV-12. Not cheap $350 and then more for the filter unit.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...00338576?cm_sp=Xsells-_-Manual-_-Product Page

I am looking for something a bit smaller (10-20 gal), with a pump (electric or hand pump). All of the other smaller gas caddies are gravity feed (not too convenient for the RV-12).

Anyone have any ideas???

Last edited:
If you use one of the 4' x 4' Harbor Freight trailers as a base and then add one or two 55 gallon drums equipped with an air driven pump (seen of ebay) and a small old air compressor to run the pump (off the volume of air in the tank and the compressor can be plugged in at any time to refill the tank). Plumb and attach everything solidly, use a real fuel hose and nozzle, they even have quantity meters that go between the hose and the nozzle if you need the information on how much fuel you have put into the aircraft.

It can save many trips to the gas station but is still small enough to allow for fresh fuel.

Best regards,
Vern

Thanks Vern,

Have found a number of ideas in the 40+ gallon range, I am looking for something a bit smaller.

Fuel storage

You guys probably don't have this problem, but the airport where my plane will likely be hangared does not allow fuel storage in excess of 5 gallons. Might be good to check airport rules if unsure.

Tony

Your car's fuel tank

If your car or truck has an electric fuel pump, you could put a "T" and a valve in the fuel line and install a switch to turn on the fuel pump. I did that several years ago on a car before computers controlled everything. A disadvantage is that it took a long time to pump. And some airports might have rules against driving your vehicle to your aircraft.
Joe

Portable tank

Search for part number 40855T64 at http://www.mcmaster.com The 14 gallon tank should be adequate for most flights, assuming you did not run the tank empty on the previous flight. This tank requires some type of pump.
Joe

If your car or truck has an electric fuel pump, you could put a "T" and a valve in the fuel line and install a switch to turn on the fuel pump. I did that several years ago on a car before computers controlled everything. A disadvantage is that it took a long time to pump. And some airports might have rules against driving your vehicle to your aircraft.
Joe

Driving the car or pickup next to the plane is not a problem for me.

You guys probably don't have this problem, but the airport where my plane will likely be hangared does not allow fuel storage in excess of 5 gallons. Might be good to check airport rules if unsure.

Tony

That is exactly why I was looking for a system in the 15 to 20 gallon range with a hand pump or an electric pump. That way I would have less then 5 gallons stored (off-plane) at any one time.

Bykas Fueling Systems

I saw this gadget at the Fly-In at Arlington over the summer. They are a local outfit in Oregon. The system comes in 2 flavors 16 gallon or 30 gallon. It has a regular fuel nozzle and is powered by a CO2 tank. Kind of spendy, but I was thinking of geting one and mounting it in the back of my truck or mounting it to a dolly and taking it in and out of the truck on ramps. It appears that they started as a unit for people with Quads and snowmobiles.

http://www.bykas.com/

Do you happen to drive a pickup or something similar so that you can mount a small tank in the back? In my ultralight days, I scavenged a stainless steel beer keg (15 gallons), drilled a hold in it, had a threaded bung hole welded on, and then mounted a 12V fuel transfer pump to it (google Tuthill fuel transfer pump), and wired that up to the car battery. Worked great.

erich

My fuel system

I just finished welding up this fitting to go on the towbar to carry a 60 liter drum from the service station to the airport when I saw this thread.

Tony

4898.jpg

4899.jpg

4900.jpg

Keep it simple...

I had planned to get a transfer tank & electric pump to put in the back of my pickup to fuel my Subie powered 7A.
But due to cost, I started just using 5 gallon (plastic) cans. They've worked well enough that I doubt I'll ever spend the money (probably about $600) for Plan A. Just toss them in the trunk, or the back of the pickup, and fill them up the next time on the way to the airport.
At 5 gal/hr (or less) for the RV12, a couple or three 5 gallon cans (at less than $10 each) is hard to beat. I suggest giving it a whirl for a while to see if a more sophisticated solution is worth the money - and the hassle of handling a larger volume container.

Here is my 100 gallon fueling rig sporting a new paint job & new (dual) filters, and new batteries in the fuel meter. I've pumped a lot of fuel through this baby, I'm over 5,500 gallons now. I save a minimum of $150 ever time I fill it up.
fuel_tank.JPG

Okay, so it has a few new chips in the front. What can I say? It gets used... alot!

Last edited:
Before you guys spend too much money and time on a system you should check with the local Fire Department. They usually are responsible for rules and regs. regarding storage, transportation and handling of gasoline. It's probably better to start with a safe compliant system than have problems later.

A different solution for a complicated problem

So I have thought about this, all the gas in AZ is buggered up with Ethanol. We can get non corrupted gasoline on the reservations. Having a 1-ton truck there is a tank that fits the bed that is split 40 Gal Diesel that is fed through a transfer to the main tank of the truck to extend range, and a separate tank that is 40 gallons with a pump and hose. That should do me for the airport.

For a little more fun. I completed the measurements on my toy hauler, with the wings off in a suitable cradle I can get the whole plane into it (Weekend Warrior FSC4000 40') the tie downs are all over the place, I have never had a buggy or cycle come loose. The trailer has an 80 gallon fueling station with hose built in. With a separate 40 Gallon tank for the genset. This will make for some real fun camping out in a remote desert location and flying all week.

Hmmm. Tundra tires on the 12 anyone?

Anyhow one company that makes the truck tanks is Transfer Flow.

hey Don

I agree with Dennis on the 5 Gal cans. Get one of these jiggler valve syphon hoses from HF http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47334
and you won't have to stand there and hold the tank. I use this for lawn tractors and boats and it works very well. Make a stand on castors that is higher than the tank you are filling. It is easy and almost as quick as pouring it directly from the can.

I use 4* 5 gallon cans to fuel the 7a from the corner store and its hard for me to jump from this solution to a trailer tank/pump setup..However holding those cans up is a bit of a pain so i was interested in the jiggler pump.

its is easy to avoid getting fuel everywhere but in the tank?..How does it work?

Thanks

Frank

The "jiggler" is sort of a self priming siphon. The gas can has to higher than the plane's fuel tank. The "jiggler" has a ball check valve at one end (the brass end). When you raise and lower the "jiggler brass end" hose in the gas can it fills the hose, then the siphoning action starts and will transfer the fuel to the plane.

The "jiggler" arrangement eliminates the need to suck on the end of the hose to get the siphon started.

See this link...... Harbor Freight Jiggler

Thanks i guess my question was more about how well does it work in real life like, how easy it it NOT get fuel all over me and the outside of the wing...I guess it won't be in my mouth though..:)

Cheers

Frank

Back