What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MS Flight Simulator a real gas!

pboyce

I've got a couple hundred hours on my RV-7A and can't get enough of it. So I purchased Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 to "fly" on those days when I'm at home. It turns out that there is a company that will sell you an RV-7/7A for the simulator for $8. Add some Dynon instruments for another $22 and it's like flying in my own plane! The feel is very realistic and there is all sorts of ways to configure your plane. Here are some sample outside shots:

fs2004-1smaller.jpg

fs2004-2smaller.jpg

fs2004-3smaller.jpg

Regards,

Paul

MS FS Question

I, too, bought the sim. My RV is not flying yet. I find that the sim has a hard time losing altitude even when I reduce power as much as possible. This seems kind of unrealistic to me. Also, I can't get the flaps to work. Do you have the same experience or can you suggest what I may be doing wrong? Thanks.
h

FLaps

The breaker seems to trip within a few seconds of being reset.
The flaps will work for a short period following the reset.
I think they have a bug in the software.
They are hard to slow down.

AL Smith
RV6 FF N 495AB
KEOS

Flap Failures

If this is the RV7/A from Flight Factory, the software is working normally. There is no bug in the software of which I am aware.

You have a failure in your airplane and you must fix it. If you go to the "Aircraft" menu and scroll down towards the bottom you will see a "Flight Factory -> Settings" option. This option will open a window that allows you to set failure modes, failure options, and perform maintenance on your plane. Go to the maintenance tab and it will show you what problems you are having with your plane. Fix them and the tripped breaker issue should go away.

You must be careful with your plane. It you take off before oil temp is up you will create untimely wear on your engine and it will begin to use oil and power will suffer. If you land too hard you will create structural problems that you will have to repair before you get full functionality back. I suspect you put the flaps down above max flap speed and hosed them up.

cool! thanks tom! i have the flight factory sim as well, and am having the same flap "problem". i agree with the others that it does not slow down and come down well. other than that, i love playing rv-7 pilot! :D

Flap Motor

Yeah...same thing for me when I first started playing...er, uh, practicing with this. I read the instructions (gasp, a first for me!) and discovered the failure thing. Kinda cool if you think about it.

-Greg

Slow Down/Come Down

cjensen said:
... i agree with the others that it does not slow down and come down well... :D

I believe that if you search these threads and talk to others flying "real" RVs they will tell you that they don't come down real easily either. RVs have been classified as "very slippery" and as such one has to be on a constant vigil with airspeed. Descents must be planned well in advance to provide ample time to "get down" and to "slow down" to pattern airspeeds. Care must be taken to enter loops and split-S's at reasonable airpeeds to prevent overspeed at the bottom. The fixed-pitch prop helps act as an airbrake but from what everyone says, RVs are fast aircraft. In this regard I think the simulator is very accurate. I can't tell 100% for sure but from what I can tell this simulator is probably as accurate as they come.

P.S. Don't forget to check your maintenance log frequently. If you don't change your oil at the proper intervals you will ruin your engine. Or if you want to just fly and crash, you can turn off maintenance mode and not have to worry about it.

Source for add-ons ??

pboyce,

Could you please post the source for the RV7/7A and Dynon add-ons?

thanks,
John R.

I have a friend that does flight sim models who is thinking about doing a free -7 for me. I just have to get him 3-views :).

How does the Dynons appear in game? My pet peeve with MSFS is the jerky gauges in the virtual cockpit.

My two favourite simulated aircraft are both from RealAir sims, the Spit XIV and the SF-260.

http://www.realairsimulations.com/

Terrific flight modelling, sounds and crisp, butter-smooth gauges in the virtual cockpit! (Sideslipping actually does something to the VSI as well...)

I assume the RV-7 uses the standard gauges which can be a bit choppy, but for $8 I guess I can't refuse. :D

Thanks

I found the Flight Factory settings and fixed the flaps. BTW, can only access that screen with engine off and if in virtual cockpit mode, it blacks out my screen. With full flaps, descent rate is now reasonable. I hope this is a good training tool. It's certainly harder to fly well than a real airplane.
hh

Control Sensitivity

hevansrv7a said:
I found the Flight Factory settings and fixed the flaps. BTW, can only access that screen with engine off and if in virtual cockpit mode, it blacks out my screen. With full flaps, descent rate is now reasonable. I hope this is a good training tool. It's certainly harder to fly well than a real airplane.
hh

I found that this flight sim is very sensitive to control surface input, especially aileron input. I know the real RVs are also responsive but I thought this sim was a little over the top. I could barely keep the wings level. I had to adjust the joystick sensitivities way down near the bottom (about 1/2 inch to right of bottom) to make it reasonable to fly.

I agree with the other poster, why have your friends create a new sim when this one works very well -- for less than 10 bucks!

As far as choppy gauges are concerned I am not seeing this problem. My guages all work very smoothly. I am just guessing that it may be something with your hardware such as processor speed or total memory. If you haven't already done so, try setting the FS display settings for lower quality and see what happens.

Tom Maxwell said:
As far as choppy gauges are concerned I am not seeing this problem. My guages all work very smoothly. I am just guessing that it may be something with your hardware such as processor speed or total memory. If you haven't already done so, try setting the FS display settings for lower quality and see what happens.

The framerates otherwise are fine, I have tried numerous settings and have a fairly up-to-date processor and video card. It's just a limitation in the way MSFS animates gauges and it could be that I am a bit picky.

Other more combat oriented simulators such as IL-2 Sturmovik and Lock On both use 3D rendering in the gauges and they are also very smooth - in the latter it's particularly good. Switch off electrical power on the ground and the gyro will tumble....after a while you can't really tell its moving but you can tell it's in a different place than it was a few minutes ago!

RealAir take quite a bit of pride in their "SmoothGauge" technology and they will be updating their older models (Scout and Decathlon) with this soon. I am not affiliated with them in any way, but I must again give my warmest recommendation to the Spitfire XIV. A stunning piece of virtual art!

FS is harder to fly-in some ways

hevansrv7a said:
I hope this is a good training tool. It's certainly harder to fly well than a real airplane.
hh

I have had every version of Microsoft's FS since it came out. I have always thought that it flew like junk compared to a real airplane. Lack of peripheral vision is annoying too. But hey, it's gotten better and getting a new airplane is dirt cheap!

Ola said:
How does the Dynons appear in game? My pet peeve with MSFS is the jerky gauges in the virtual cockpit.

My two favourite simulated aircraft are both from RealAir sims, the Spit XIV and the SF-260.

http://www.realairsimulations.com/

Terrific flight modelling, sounds and crisp, butter-smooth gauges in the virtual cockpit! (Sideslipping actually does something to the VSI as well...)

I assume the RV-7 uses the standard gauges which can be a bit choppy, but for $8 I guess I can't refuse. :D

Now that we've turned this "real airplane" forum into a simulated aircraft forum, :D

I use the RealAir Marchetti SF260 as my simulated RV. Very smooth guages as mentioned, along with a good looking virtual cockpit with sliding canopy, and it runs high on the frame rate scale. And as mentioned, it's probably the best side slipping plane available for any flight sim. Does well the aerobatics that an RV can do too. The designer/programmer of this simulated aircraft excells in slips, spins, aerobatic capability, and smooth gauge technology.

As to the simulated RV-7, I used the taildragger version for quite a long time. It's only real drawback, is that it does not get down as fast as a real RV, when using a C/S prop for "carrier landings". It does not have near the virtual panel, looks wise, that the RealAir SF260 has, nor the smooth gauge technology. But then it's an older model, and much cheaper.

L.Adamson

...been building a FS 7A in my spare time also (which I've posted before) Here's some progress...every rivet...Classic Aero seats...RXP GNS530..

ext13gj.jpg

ext26st.jpg

ext35uz.jpg

I'm working on the interior now...still a long way to go...but it's getting there.
int31ol.jpg

Danny
CZBB

Danny......

WOW! I am impressed, to say the least! Your renditions look like actual photographs of real RV's! Terrific work!

That sort of designing is WAY beyond me. Very cool stuff!

Have some fun

Ditto...and here I kept very quite to myself having fun thinking I am alone. I have never been in a RV, never flown one, but ordered and started the kit, based on flight reports and what other said. At the same time I bought the Flight Factory RV model plug in for MSFS. If it flies anything remotely close to sim I am going to have a lot of fun.

Now do not try this in the real thing...I would not, but you can in a sim!

This is over the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Bridge in Australia:
rv_sim_01.jpg

Going Vertical
rv_sim_02.jpg

Upside Down under the Bridge:
rv_sim_03.jpg

Looping the Bridge:
rv_sim_06.jpg

Go get it and have some fun...

Regards
Rudi

PS: Very Nice Danny...keep us posted on your progress..I would love getting yours as well.

RV-10 Sim

Steve said:
Goto www.simviation.com to download an RV-4 for MSFS 2004.
Steve
Okay, all of this MSFS talk and pictures has made me decide to dust off my CD rom and re-install MSFS. Anyone know of an exisiting or planned RV-10 plane for MSFS 2004? I, too, have had every version of MSFS. This simulator, in fact, is one of the main reasons why I decided to get my PPL in the first place. I think someone needs to develop an RV-10 for the sim!

Mark

flydoc said:
Okay, all of this MSFS talk and pictures has made me decide to dust off my CD rom and re-install MSFS. Anyone know of an exisiting or planned RV-10 plane for MSFS 2004? I, too, have had every version of MSFS. This simulator, in fact, is one of the main reasons why I decided to get my PPL in the first place. I think someone needs to develop an RV-10 for the sim!

Mark

Ditto...I started 20 years ago with the old SubLogic Flight Sim for my AppleIIe....I've been an adict ever since :)

jcoloccia said:
Ditto...I started 20 years ago with the old SubLogic Flight Sim for my AppleIIe....I've been an addict ever since :)

Double ditto! Now that's funny, I started with the exact same setup, only it was around 1980-1... so it's been 24+ years. Man, I feel so old.

And, as others have said regarding Danny's -7A model, I have to add another Wow! to the list. Beautiful, perfect work.

Edit: just found this Flight Sim History website... check out the old screen shots! It's amazing to see just how far FS has come since those primitive old days.

http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/timeline.htm

Last edited:
I guess I'm even more ancient

I started with the original SubLogic flight sim on the TRS-80 Model I.

Guages

Do any of you guys use the multi-screen setup when using MSFS. I know you can adjust the views on single screen w/ the guages, but it seems like it would do better w/ 2 screens.

Matt Berry
Round Rock, TX

I just downloaded the RV7 sim for MSFS. Anyone know why I dont see any instruments on the panel? :confused: All I have is black holes....certainly makes the takeoffs and landings interesting.

thanks
Scott

Worked like a champ. Worked so well I went ahead and got the Dynon package while I was at it!

Now all I have to do is find the flaps on the simulator....that thing is fast in the pattern :eek:

Dual monitors

mgberry said:
Do any of you guys use the multi-screen setup when using MSFS. .......

Yes, I bought a $100 GeForce FX(?) video card with dual screen outputs, dusted off an extra VGA so I could adjust the left screen and nail my base and final turns. It's great for hamerheads, straight up in reference to the ground. It's great for looking around when practicing IFR, VOR navigation....... I only wish I had bought a 3 output video card so I could look out both windows. I built my own computer so it was just a card swap. Now if Mr. Bill would perfect that 3D headset he was wearing sometime back....

It's a pretty cool tool....

Aside from the general fun factor, if you're adept at using some graphics tools and know how to deal with re-skinning the MSFS aircraft, it's a useful tool for designing your paint scheme. I wanted to see what this one looked like on my -7.

AOPA1.jpg

Hi folks,

Forgive in advance... but I can not for the life of me find the link to aquire this great RV for MS 2004... someone willing to help me out?

Thanks,

John in Miami, FL

Another way of 'prototyping'

Jim P said:
Aside from the general fun factor, if you're adept at using some graphics tools and know how to deal with re-skinning the MSFS aircraft, it's a useful tool for designing your paint scheme. I wanted to see what this one looked like on my -7.

I do a lot of prototyping with GIMP (www.gimp.org), which is a free program equivalent to Photoshop.

Some examples:

http://n466pg.blogspot.com/2006/01/its-gimptastic_04.html

http://n466pg.blogspot.com/2006/01/thoughts-about-panel.html

http://n466pg.blogspot.com/2005/12/another-gimp-masterpiece.html

You just can't beat it for the price!

Last edited:
I love MSFS but lately I have been flying Aces High II. It has a more realistic flight model, I think, and GUNS. To top it off Aces High is owned by a fellow RVator.

:)

how 'accurate' ... realistic... is MSFS for the novice to acquire some experience/knowledge re: flying a RV 9? I have an earlier version [maybe 5-6 years old] somewhere... but I'd happily buy the newest if it is even a 3 or 4 on a scale of 10... worthwhile.

thanks

newbieJohn

Skyhawk promo video

RE: the above mentioned video

COOLLL!!!

Man, I loved flying the scooter, as did just about everyone who got to fly the A-4 in advanced Navy flight training. Got about 100 hrs in her, doing fam, formation, acro, ACM, weapons (rockets/guns), even took her to the boat. After that, you knew you were ready for anything.

That simulation is awwsum! The modeling/aircraft details, lighting, shadowing, even the characteristic nose strut bounce with brakes on as the plane captain looks on, standing by to chock and chain her (though he should be a brown shirt, not a green shirt) - totally unbelievable the sophistication available in a desktop PC program!

Wish I owned an A-4 now, guess I'll just have to pound some more rivets on my day/VFR fighter RV-4.

Doug Seward
RV-4 wings

Deuskid said:
how 'accurate' ... realistic... is MSFS for the novice to acquire some experience/knowledge re: flying a RV 9? I have an earlier version [maybe 5-6 years old] somewhere... but I'd happily buy the newest if it is even a 3 or 4 on a scale of 10... worthwhile.

All depends on the specific model, as to how well the flight dynamics are re-created. IMO, the Real Air Simulations Marchetti SF260, that's been previously mentioned, is as good as it gets, when it comes to rudder control for aerobatic type manuvers and side slips. This model also performs some good spins & recoveries. For taildragging fun, it doesn't get any better than the Real Air Spitfire. Using rudder pedals, and my Saitek joystick with seperate throttle, it seems amazingly real.

Another requirment is rudder pedals. Twist grips are a bit too touchy, and the "feel" just isn't there. "Feel" is actually a product of our mind in combination with what we see on the screen, and the joysticks spring resistance, with our brain filling in gaps, yet it's quite amazing sometimes.

There are also many mesh scenery additions that duplicate mountain areas with very good accuracy. This is excellent for pre-flying routes to un-known airports, and getting a good idea of the airport in relation to the terrain. The nav & airport/ runway data is from Jeppeson, but it's a few years old.

I think a future benefit of desktop flight simulation will be duplicating glass panels. The Dynon and Avidyne systems have been modeled to a degree, and the Garmin 1000 is a way's off. GPS's such as the Garmin 430 & 530 are already duplicated very well.

A desktop sim, won't create a seat of the pants feel, for a non-pilot. But lately it's being proved over and over, that a desktop simulation gives a student pilot a great head start. This applies to basic controls, as well as navigation. FS2004 also contains a number of flight training scenarios & lessons.

L.Adamson

Back