What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal vs. Vertical Induction - CONFLICTED

Thanks

Bill, thanks for the clarification. Gosh, the more I read, the less I know.

Hey, I can't even find Larry Vetterman's email or phone number, can somebody give me a clue? What I think is his website is a series of blogs with no contact info...googling didn't help, and I can't find his advert on VAF.

I am surprised at the amount of response to this question. I have been dealing with these issues for 3 years now and have drawn some conclusions as a result of builder/customer input.
Where is the discussion about horsepower versus cost. If you want a forward facing sump and are looking for one, Good Luck. Option's are few and choices are Superior cold air or Barrett.

Rod,
Superflite used to carry an IO-360-M1B style sump and intake kit. It was about $2000. I don't see it on their web site now. I wonder if they still carry it. Do you know anything about that?
I see A.E.R.O. has the Superior sump kit you mention above for $1495. See

http://shop.aeroinstock.com/p-30561-cold-air-sump-kit.aspx

I was going to mention Sky Dynamics Maxi Sump system, but it appears that it is unavailable till spring of 2010. They are currently re-designing it. See

http://www.skydynamics.com

You are correct, that it's hard to find a good used Lycoming forward facing sump & intake tubes off of an angle valve 360. I was looking for over a year till I found one for a price I could live with.

Both are costly and how much HP is gained over the vertical sump, found on most engines, is still up in the air.

You are certainly right about the high cost of the forward/horizontal induction systems. I don't know what the exact ratio is, but I suspect that Lycoming probably has produced 20 [if not more] 360 cubic inch engines with vertical induction, for every one with horizontal induction.

snipped
Conclusion:

Looks aside, the vertical sump is more available and suffers very little pressure loss. Less costly.
Use an elbow to provide the horizontal servo and lower cowling profiles.
If having an extra inch MP, going up 1000' higher and saving fuel is important, go with Ram Air, Higher compression, flowed heads and electronic ignition.

Rod Bower
Starduster II
RV-3
RV-4
RV-8
RV-8 Bronze OSH 08
Stewart S-51 mustang

One other benefit of the vertical sump is that it is quite a bit lighter than Lycoming's horizontal sump.
Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
Back