What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's nosegear leg SB - do it in place?

brian

Well Known Member
There was some talk on a couple other lists about the idea of trying to do the Van's nose gear SB in place. I'm not sure why, but it seems the Eggenfellner customers are especially interested in the idea. Personally, I 'd much rather pay as much as several hundred dollars for some sort of carbide die that I can use to cut the new threads, even if one use ruins it. For me, that's much better than what appears to be a HUGE undertaking to remove my engine, at least to the small extent that all the wiring & lines will let me, just to get it out away from the firewall enough to TRY to drive out the very-tight gear leg bolt that I used a 6x rivet gun to drive into place.

For me, I'd do/pay most anything to not have to try to remove the leg. Even if I can get the engine frame out away from the firewall enough to clear the nose gear leg bolt, I think that bolt is going to be VERY difficult to remove. It was driven in from below, and there isn't a lot of access from the top for trying to drive it out. It was driven in with the intention of never loosening or coming back out. I suspect that the force required to drive it out will inevitably swell/mushroom the shank, making removal even more difficult.

Several people are talking about trying to modify the gear leg in place. Cutting off the 1" should be rather trivial. Cutting another inch of threads is the tricky part. People have talked about trying to find a carbide thread die. I haven't heard yet of anyone who's found one.

For me, the idea of partially removing the engine to remove the gear leg is a very discouraging thought. One idea I had was to lay out the threads by hand, very carefully use a Dremel cutter to partially extend the threads by hand, then apply the die as a final cut. That way, the die would be working through much less steel.

I've heard the gear leg is extremely tough and hard to cut. Because I have an Eggenfellner engine and frame, I started with a gear leg with NO hole in it, and I had no problems at all drilling the hole. It didn't seem to me to be that difficult to work with. To me, it seems feasible to cut the threads in place, especially if a carbide die can be found.

Has anyone attempted adding the threads in-place? Does anyone plan to try? Does anyone know of a source for a carbide die? (I believe we need 1 1/4 x 16). Does anyone have any other ideas on doing this threading in-place?

I think removing the gear is a very quick operation. Took me <1 hr to pull the tail down, put some safety supports up front and remove the bolt (just a wrench and it came out pretty easily).

No engine removal involved (at least for my old school engine) but my bolt was not driven in, just drilled and inserted. After 200 hrs there was no elongation of the hole or any play in the leg even after the nut was removed.

Last edited:
Yes

Brian,
We found a die quickly and our machine shop ordered it for us. I posted the source earlier. www.mscdirect.com also has them....around $50. If you try and rotate the die holder WITHOUT backing up, it'll clog. Move the die about 45 -90 degrees and back up. Then do the same thing over and over ...forward, backward, forward and so on. I've drilled my nosegear leg twice with a standard drill and it's not that hard.

We're going to lower the leg onto a 2 X 6 or similar after threading the die on while still suspending most of the weight by a cherry picker hoist.

Regards,

Another option

Don't do it. If you never go onto unpaved surfaces I doubt that it is an issue. I did it before the SB came our because my engine was off and I had removed my engine mount to clean and paint it.

I suggest sending it to Langair if you can get the gear leg off.

Perhaps that's why it seems Eggenfellner customers are especially interested in doing it in-place. Maybe it's a difference between the Van's Lycoming frame and the Eggenfellner frame. With Eggenfellner frame (at least for the STi, which I have), it is completely impossible to remove that bolt without removing the engine frame from the firewall and moving the frame out at least several inches away from the firewall.

Then, even with the engine completely removed, I think it's going to be a real bear to get that bolt out. We were told to put the bolt in TIGHT, and tight I did. It's a press fit.

thanks

Thanks, Pierre.
I found the thread you spoke of. I'd seen the early entries, but not the later ones in that thread. I'll follow the advice there.
FYI for others - that thread is here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23482

And here is a quote from the Eggenfellner list from a customer who saw the work being done at LangAir:

"I recently witnesed first hand the operation of shortening and rethreading the gear leg at Langair, the mnfg., as I am not too far away from the shop. Cutting is a simple matter of using a chop saw, however, the steel is the same kind of steel used in the leaf springs on most trucks. It is nearly as hard as HSS. At Langair they cut the new threads using a milling machine with a spining cutter wheel and even then it takes awhile. I had considered attempting the threading myself but after seeing it done at Langair and learning a little more about the TOUGHNESS of that steel, I am glad I had them take care of it for me. "

Brian,
We found a die quickly and our machine shop ordered it for us. I posted the source earlier. www.mscdirect.com also has them....around $50. If you try and rotate the die holder WITHOUT backing up, it'll clog. Move the die about 45 -90 degrees and back up. Then do the same thing over and over ...forward, backward, forward and so on. I've drilled my nosegear leg twice with a standard drill and it's not that hard.

We're going to lower the leg onto a 2 X 6 or similar after threading the die on while still suspending most of the weight by a cherry picker hoist.

Regards,

got mine back today

it is absolutely perfect....i would not do the dremel deal. that sound very risky and almost garuntees error. however if pierre's method worked i would go that route as shipping alone was almost 85$. the threads are smooth as silk. langair had mine in and out in no time. 2 weeks total and it took a week to get there. so i guess Harmon did it while the ups man waited.;)
very nice guy.

Last edited:
The SB is completed!

I have the same good story with Langair.
Sent it UPS Ground on Nov-20, tracking
showed it arriving 7 days later.
I received it at my front door 9 days
after that. Beautiful work, $30 shipping,
(from Ohio), and it is now back on the plane.
All the fairings fit fine using the old style
fairing mounts. My brackets stay on the
axle and attach to the fairing with nutplates.
My only work was to drill the new fork for
the #10 bolts to stake the bearing mushrooms.
The rest of the work was only to bolt up the
assembly. The plane was on jacks for about
23 days.
Tom

Have the die and holder to do the thread, let me know if you would like to use it.
612-817-3242 420V

Back