Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Default Garmin G3X Touch Software V6.20 (September 12, 2018)

Good Moring! As of just a few minutes ago G3X Touch software version 6.20 has been posted to the Garmin website. You can download the software here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/coll...t=010-00G3X-00

Version 6.20 contains the following changes with respect to version 6.10:
  1. Added support for GTN vertical navigation guidance
  2. Added display of VNAV target altitude to PFD (GDU 46x only)
  3. Added annunciation of secondary armed vertical flight director mode
  4. Added VFR annunciation to HSI
  5. Added Navigation configuration page
  6. Added configuration for VNAV deviation scale
  7. Added EFIS/Airdata 2 ARINC 429 output format
  8. Added GPS AGL height sentence to Text Out RS-232 format
  9. Added configuration option to invert display of elevator trim gauge when using Vertical Power position data
  10. Changed autopilot airspeed annunciation display
  11. Changed default name for coolant temperature gauge
  12. Improved interface with GNC 300XL and similar navigators
  13. Improved flight director command display across multiple displays that use different attitude sources
  14. Improved display of Mogas availability
  15. Improved airspeed comparison between multiple GSU 25Bs
  16. Improved Rotax FADEC caution/warning annunciation
  17. Improved Connext data interface
  18. General improvements to system operation
  19. Includes update to G5 software version 5.60
  20. Includes update to GDL39 software version 4.81
  21. Includes update to GEA24 software version 3.40
  22. Includes update to GMC507 software version 2.50
  23. Includes update to GTR20/200 software version 3.20
  24. Includes GAD27 software version 2.20
  25. Includes GAD29 software version 3.00
  26. Includes GDL5X software version 2.11
  27. Includes GI260 software version 2.70
  28. Includes GMA245 software version 2.40
  29. Includes GMA245 audio software version 2.20
  30. Includes GMA245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
  31. Includes GMU11 software version 2.00
  32. Includes GPS20A software version 2.20
  33. Includes GSA28 software version 4.10
  34. Includes GSU25 software version 3.70
  35. Includes GSU73 software version 3.70
  36. Includes GSU73 IGRF database version 1.03 (Base Year 2015)

Recently, we announced the release of GTN version 6.50 software. If you missed that announcement, you can read about it here: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=162365
NOTE: If you do not have a GTN navigator, the G3X Touch continues to support the same VNAV functionality as was previously available. In addition, the magenta VNAV target altitude will now be displayed above the altitude strip.

One of the key new features of the GTN is support for VNAV constraints at multiple waypoints in the flight plan. When loading an arrival or an approach, the GTN will auto populate the altitude constraints.

The integration of this feature in the G3X Touch enables the display of VNAV deviation and altitude constraint on the PFD. In addition, the autopilot when engaged in VNAV mode will follow the vertical descent profile. Take a look at the next post for an example approach using this new capability.

Thanks,
Levi
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 09-12-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Post Example VNAV Approach

You are flying to Leadville, Colorado at 16,000 feet listening to your favorite tunes as the autopilot guides you toward your destination in NAV and ALT modes. As you approach Leadville, ATC clears you for the GPS RWY 16 approach. Upon loading the approach, each waypoint is auto populated with a vertical constraint on the GTN flight plan page.

Arming the VNAV autopilot mode you cruise along until you can see the top of descent (TOD) indicated on your GTN map display. As you approach the TOD, the VNAV deviation indicator begins to move down the vertical deviation indicator on the PFD. The first VNAV target altitude is shown on the PFD above the altimeter.

As the VNAV deviation indication centers, the autopilot captures the vertical profile and centers the VNAV deviation through the decent. The ALTV autopilot mode is automatically armed. When the VNAV constraint altitude is reached, the aircraft levels out and maintains altitude until the next VNAV descent leg.

At any point on the last VNAV descent segment, the APPR mode can be armed. Nearing the final approach fix, the approach vertical guidance is ghosted on the deviation indicator as a gray diamond showing a preview of glidepath (GP).

NOTE: If APPR mode is armed prior to capturing the final VNAV descent leg, the autopilot will not capture the final VNAV descent leg.

As you cross the FAF, the autopilot captures the glidepath (GP) and flies the final approach segment.

The new VNAV capabilities introduce a new level of automation to the G3X Touch allowing the autopilot to fly both the lateral and vertical profiles from cruise to your missed approach point with just two button presses. After the approach is loaded, arm the VNAV autopilot mode. Once you are on your final VNAV descent leg, arm APPR mode and the autopilot will capture your glide path for the final segment of the approach. It really is that simple!
There are new configuration settings to allow you to enable and customize this new feature.

To get the additional VNAV information out of the GTN, the GTN GPS A429 output will need to be changed from "GAMA FORMAT 1" to "GARMIN 429". Also, verify that the GTN A429 input is set to EFIS Format 2, but this didn't change.

Thanks,
Levi
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 09-13-2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:34 AM

Downloaded without any problem. Now I just need to get done with the wiring
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 09-12-2018, 02:15 PM

I don't see a G3x 429 input option for EFIS Format 2. Might you mean the 429 Output?

My input options are Garmin GPS, Garmin VOR/ILS, or None.

EDIT: I suspect this is actually in the GTN config, not the G3X config.

Last edited by gfb : 09-12-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
To get the additional VNAV information out of the GTN, the GTN GPS A429 output will need to be changed from "GAMA FORMAT 1" to "GARMIN 429". Also, verify that the G3X Touch configuration is set to EFIS Format 2 for the A429 input.

Thanks,
Levi
Levi,

I changed to “GARMIN 429” and lose my VNAV button.

If I switch back to GAMA FORMAT 1 the VNAV button reappears. Do I need to select the “UPDATE CONFIG MODULE” button after changing to Garmin 429?

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017 donor and happy to do it.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planecrazy232 View Post
Levi,

I changed to “GARMIN 429” and lose my VNAV button.

If I switch back to GAMA FORMAT 1 the VNAV button reappears. Do I need to select the “UPDATE CONFIG MODULE” button after changing to Garmin 429?
Hello Anthony,

Your configuration is fine.

When you are using external flight planning with GTN V6.50 and later, the VNAV function is provided by the GTN since it now has this capability built-into the flight planning.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-13-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Anthony,

Your configuration is fine.

When you are using external flight planning with GTN V6.50 and later, the VNAV function is provided by the GTN since it now has this capability built-into the flight planning.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, Thanks for the quick reply- love the excellent support, and the QWERTY keyboard!!

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017 donor and happy to do it.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:30 PM

Hello G3Xperts!

I installed the newest G3X and GTN updates this morning and went out to test them. I fly coupled IFR quite a bit these days so that is the area I am testing at present. I have some questions. GTN650, G3X touch, GX Pilot

First, I am a bit confused on when to switch from VNAV to APPR mode for the coupled approach glide path intercept. For reference, the approach I flew twice today was KBKV RNAV 9. I set up north of the airport at 2500 feet (500 over the approach altitude). I then loaded and activated RNAV 9 starting at DEWIX. Selected autopilot NAV and VNAV on the G3X. Garmin flew me to DEWIX at 2500 turned towards ASKEH and started descent to 2000 as expected with the target altitude right where you said it would be.. Ok, I’m on the approach clicked APPR...and it took me back to 2500. Oops..Garmin didn’t like that, this time I’ll wait until the descents are done and it’s looking for a glide path. Broke off and reset again. Garmin flew me to DEWIX at 2500, turned to ASKEH and descended to 2000, from ASKEH turned inbound to OWAGO and descended to 1800. One thing to note, it waits until it has a 700ish descent rate to cross that point at proper altitude then dives to it. A 200’ descent at 700fpm went pretty quick. I clicked APPR, but had missed the GP so altitude was no longer coupled. Ok, fine...I hand flew it from there. First question is, when are we supposed to switch to APPR mode and why can’t VNAV and APPR be on at the same time and simply perform a handoff inside the box?

Second question, while I understand the safety behind staying high for as long as poissible, can the VNAV descent rate be adjusted in the GTN? Hmm, just occurred to me...is that controlled in the G3X?

Please keep in mind I was limited on time today so only took a couple runs at it. It’s entirely possible I missed something simple and I am happy to take the public flogging if I have. I love the new keyboard by the way!

Cheers!
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan

Last edited by ColoRv : 09-13-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:34 PM

Did the 6.2/6.5 update yesterday and went on a couple flights. I noticed that since the update the beeps seem a bit distorted. I'm talking about the AP disconnect, 1000' and 200' beeps.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:32 PM

Default Changing default flight path angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRv View Post
Hello G3Xperts!

I installed the newest G3X and GTN updates this morning and went out to test them. I fly coupled IFR quite a bit these days so that is the area I am testing at present. I have some questions. GTN650, G3X touch, GX Pilot

First, I am a bit confused on when to switch from VNAV to APPR mode for the coupled approach glide path intercept. For reference, the approach I flew twice today was KBKV RNAV 9. I set up north of the airport at 2500 feet (500 over the approach altitude). I then loaded and activated RNAV 9 starting at DEWIX. Selected autopilot NAV and VNAV on the G3X. Garmin flew me to DEWIX at 2500 turned towards ASKEH and started descent to 2000 as expected with the target altitude right where you said it would be.. Ok, I’m on the approach clicked APPR...and it took me back to 2500. Oops..Garmin didn’t like that, this time I’ll wait until the descents are done and it’s looking for a glide path. Broke off and reset again. Garmin flew me to DEWIX at 2500, turned to ASKEH and descended to 2000, from ASKEH turned inbound to OWAGO and descended to 1800. One thing to note, it waits until it has a 700ish descent rate to cross that point at proper altitude then dives to it. A 200’ descent at 700fpm went pretty quick. I clicked APPR, but had missed the GP so altitude was no longer coupled. Ok, fine...I hand flew it from there. First question is, when are we supposed to switch to APPR mode and why can’t VNAV and APPR be on at the same time and simply perform a handoff inside the box?

Second question, while I understand the safety behind staying high for as long as poissible, can the VNAV descent rate be adjusted in the GTN? Hmm, just occurred to me...is that controlled in the G3X?

Please keep in mind I was limited on time today so only took a couple runs at it. It’s entirely possible I missed something simple and I am happy to take the public flogging if I have. I love the new keyboard by the way!

Cheers!
ColoRv,

With regard to explaining the exact behavior you saw, I would recommend you contact us via email and provide the datalog from your flight. We can take a look and let you know exactly what was happening.

You can change the default flight path angle on the GTN. To do this, go to the home menu, then select "Utilities", then select "VNAV". On the VNAV page, press "menu" at the bottom of the screen. A page will pop up to allow you to set the default VNAV angle. The default angle is 3.00 degrees. You may want to set this to a more shallow angle.

With regard to arming APPR mode, if you see the ghosted Glide Path (GP) indicator coming down the vertical deviation indicator, you could go ahead and allow the autopilot to capture GP rather than using VNAV for the final descent to the FAF. APPR mode should always be armed prior to the FAF.

At this time, the ability to arm both VNAV and APPR modes is not available in the G3X Touch, but we are considering this as a future enhancement.

Thanks,
Levi

Last edited by g3xpert : 09-13-2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: minor wording change