Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-03-2015, 03:52 PM

Lightbulb RV-7ForMe

Hello fellow builders,

This is my first post but I have been reading on here for the past few months.

I guess I should introduce myself. I am a kid from the 90’s and I have grown up around airplanes. I currently fly 172s and what can I say… I love them! They are good old birds.

I suppose that is what got me into this mess. I help out our A&P during annuals on the Cessna and I love it. There is so much to learn. I think it made me a better pilot. A few things I got quite early. Things always take about twice as long as expected and cost about three times as much.

I am pretty good with electronics and I do enjoy working with my hands. However, have no real skill set that applies to building airplanes. I guess the learning curve will be pretty steep

I made a few decisions thus far. I started looking at the RV-10. The perfect Travel Machine? Well, it is too expensive. I went back to VANS looking for some guidance.

I defined my mission: 2 seats, side-by-side, maybe a loop or two? Leaves me with the RV-7 and the RV-14. I like the plans of the -14 better but I can’t justify the added cost for better plans and a bit more room.

This WILL change, but I have a simple and cheap to operate RV7 in mind:
-O-320/O-360 with low compressions to use with unleaded fuel probably used.
-fixed pitch prop, I hear good things about Craig at Catto
-very simple VFR panel. 1 com, I like the look of steam gauges. Probably electric. whatever is a good bang for the buck at the time of finishing.
-some sort of engine monitor with 4 EGT/ CHT. I want to know if all are willing participants before take off
-2 axis AP
-TipUp

But this is all in the very distant future.

Looks like it is “RV7ForMe”

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 02-06-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:04 PM

Great choice and welcome to the best RV discussion tool in the world. The 7A will also be my choice when I get ready to build number 5.
Eagles Nest Mentor
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 10-03-2015, 07:33 PM

Willkommen in der Gruppe!

The -7 is a great machine, and most of us here have had no airplane building experience prior to starting our kits. The skills are easy to learn, especially if you can find a mentor builder to show you some early tricks. Any EAA chapters in Germany? You can't find a better and more helpful group of people anywhere. If you can take one of the intro to riveting classes, that would be great. I'm pretty handy, generally, but had no metalworking experience. A weekend class taught me so much. In lieu of a class, get Van's practice kits (mini wing and toolbox) and find a mentor. In a weekend, you'll be good to go! My 10 year old daughter, in fact, built the mini wing for a school project. She did great (with a little help from dad) and her quality was fantastic.

... and, you will find as you build what many wise builders have said before: "If you're feeling bad about the quality of your rivets, just go an look at a Cessna on the flightline. You'll instantly feel better" Very true!

Have fun.
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Working the baffles
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 PM

Welcome to the forum! May I ask you where in Germany you are located? I am originally from the Stuttgart area.

If you are concerned about whether you have the skills to build a RV, you might want to give the training kit and the practice toolbox a try:
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...aining-project

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...roduct=toolbox

My wife and I visited the factory a few weeks ago, sat in the RV-7A and flew the RV-14A: Even though we aren't the biggest people, the 7 felt really tight inside. The 14 appeared to be much more comfortable and suitable for longer flights.

The factory tour and the quality of the kits were also really impressive.

We therefore decided to build the practice kits above and then a RV-14A.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Arrow #2

Thank you all for your kind words!

I do no think EAA chapters are available. However I am in no rush. I like to work on the 172 as much as I like to fly her. I am still relatively young so at the moment I do not care if this project takes 5 years. As long as I have fun along the way and did something more productive than hang out on FB or watch TV shows in my spare time I will call it a success.

I am currently doing a lot of research and trying to piecemeal a few used tools before I order both practice kits.

For now my apartment is going to be my shop until I outgrow the space available. I read the closer the project is to your bed the quicker things get done…

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 01-22-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
[...] I do no think EAA chapters are available. [...]
The EAA's website lists two chapters in Germany, one in Wilhelmshaven and another one in Munich:
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-chapt...an-eaa-chapter

I however couldn't find any information on the one in Wilhelmshaven and only an apparently abandoned website for the chapter in Munich.

The best starting point for home built aircraft in Germany is the 'Oscar Ursinus Vereinigung'. I believe that they are also involved in the certification process of home built aircraft and that the LBA relies on their judgement: http://www.ouv.de/fly/

I saw in your profile that you are still a student - if funds are a concern, a RV-9 might also be a great option, as it is one of the more modern kits with pre-punched holes, but which can also be combined with a smaller engine and a fixed pitch prop. A friend of ours has built one from a standard kit in 3 years and couldn't be happier with it.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:40 PM

Default Welcome

Welcome RV7forme. Interesting first and last name.
Best of luck with the build.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:03 AM

Arrow #3

Hello Oliver,

Thank you! your lead about the OUV is spot on. I contacted them and the are sending me an Info pack.

Funds are an Issue. I did consider the -9. But I think I will rather accept a used 0-320 with a F/P and still build a very simple -7.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:56 AM

Arrow #4

Compressor stuff:

I ordered a belt driven oil compressor online. Turns out what I received was pretty much worthless. I took this particular model because it was advertised for 75 dB(A). This was actually sort of true. I measured 80 dB(A). The problem was it came with rust all over the place and was leaking a little air after the first run. After the 5th run it was leaking air so much I could hear it coming out. It was also pretty banged up before it came out of the box. The seller claimed that the scratches and dents are "normal" but the leaking air and rust is not. They left me with the choice of getting the same model in working condition or to reimburse me. I chose to get my money back and start looking elsewhere.

In the meantime I am building a Compressor Box on wheels, so I can move it around if I have to. I think this is going to come in handy. The idea is to reduce the noise of the compressor.
I salvaged a some dissembled IKEA furniture when one of my neighbors moved out for this. I think there is enough material to work with.

I also bought some more stuff to read and watch:

Standard Aircraft Handbook 17th E.
Orndorff Sheet Metal Tool Video & RV-7 Empennage Video

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 01-02-2016 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 10-08-2015, 06:37 AM

5 dB equal more than three times the noise...
Then again, they might have taken the measurement from a greater distance.

Back in Germany I had good success in the 'cheap but good' category with Güde compressors.