What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KX165 stuck on transmit

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I've removed the radio from the plane due to this issue. Made the bare minimum connections on the test bench. On powering up, the "T" light stays on continuously. Radio seems to be putting out a weak signal heard on a portable, but no voice. However, when PTT switch is activated, it transmits voice perfectly. Nevertheless, no reception because the T is on. Anyone experienced this before or any ideas before taking to avionics shop?
--Jose
PS-Earlier I had discovered one of my aircraft mic jacks had tangs that were bent and touching. Could this have ruined the radio's transmit/receive switch or diode?

I had that happening to my SL30. It turned out that the guy who wired the setup for me, had put one wire in the wrong spot and thus transmit was on all the time. Once that was fixed, everything worked.

Are you sure it is transmitting? The displays can age or fail and have the t come on faint. Carefully removing the display and cleaning with a pencil eraser can help. In rcv mode it should draw less than an amp. Xmit mode around 7 amps.

Jay

Not a wiring error. Definitely transmitting a carrier. Wound up sending to Gulf Coast Avionics as they stated they had seen the problem before and were willing to quote probable and upper limit repair costs. They did a King recommended service to upgrade some components and problem went away. Radio is back on its way home and hopefully all will be alright.

Back