What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Piano Hinges on Elevator Trim Tabs

cderk

Well Known Member
Gents -

I'm so close to finishing my elevator - I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I riveted the piano hinges to the trim tab and elevator last night. While doing so, the hinge moves slightly every time I squeeze a rivet. In the end, things are not perfectly aligned that enables you to just push the pin back in with ease. Is there a trick to making this a little easier? I tapped one in with the flat side of a pair of pliers. Second one is more difficult.

Can I lube the pin with teflon spray? WD-40? Not sure if there is an easier way.

Thanks
Charlie

hinge pin

For any of these which were difficult to insert I lubricated and spun with a portable drill. If needed a little pumice will subtly hone the eyelets. YMMV, but that worked for me. Good luck!

It helps a little if you leave the pin in while riveting or, the whole other hinge half too if not riveted yet. Also helps to use a hand squeezer and skip rivets like you were cutting sine waves in half (center, ends, halfway between, etc.).

Thanks...everything is already riveted together, but I can see how putting the pin in while riveting could help some. Will remember that for the ailerons.

When I am doing this, I cleco the hinge (both halves) to the parts in question and make sure they move correctly. Then I remove the pin, leaving the halves clecoed in place. Next I take some spare hinge and pin it to the hinge half I am going to rivet. I rotate the spare so it is at 90 degrees to the half to be riveted. This rotation keeps the hinge aligned and a sqeezer yoke will fit over it. Do the same for the other hinge half and the parts should pin together without much difficulty after riveting.

Thanks...everything is already riveted together, but I can see how putting the pin in while riveting could help some. Will remember that for the ailerons.

There's no piano hinge for the ailerons.

Back