Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Gear going up in video

Marc,

Thanks for the update. The pictures on your web page are great. For the convenience of everyone on VAF I am attaching the YouTube link to your plane taking off and gear retracting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zixbdyvkmKM
760 hr
Stoughton, WI
Formally of Lafayette, IN
Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
Not only has Bryan put in retractable mains, but his tail gear retracts as well. Better yet, it's taken him less than 4 years, start to finish on this aircraft which is ready for its first flight as soon as the paperwork arrives.

Fuselage is based on an RV-4, but Bryan stretched it by a few inches (4?) and is using an O-375 from Aero Sport. He calls it a Rocket because that simplifies the paperwork. I'm pretty sure some pics will appear in a few weeks.
If I were him I would not call the aircraft a rocket. It will cost him come insurance time. Because a lot of HR rockets have been on their nose insurance Is 3 times what you pay for a RV. F1 rockets don't have the issue but the insurance companies don't care and charge the same. There are a couple of rockets registered as io540 RV-4's and they enjoy much lower insurance rates.

George

Last edited by sailvi767 : 10-20-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-20-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc17522 View Post
The wrinkles are from the gear. I originally had the torque tube that it pivots on when retracting end there. I extended it to the rear spar to correct it. It tracks very good with the wide gear and is a blast to fly. I just got the gear doors on and will let you know how the performance is. I went on vacation before I got a chance to fly it. To learn more about it you can visit www.tropria.net/rv Marcus
Never mind the gear... I want to know more about that beautiful wing!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:45 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Marc, that is a GORGEOUS project - true experimental homebuilding!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 10-21-2012, 05:33 AM

Default Yes, a beautiful wing.

Wow! True experimenting..congratulations and welcome to VAF.

Would you kindly share some performance numbers?

Thanks,
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Bryan Carr's Rocket RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Horton View Post
If I wanted an RV with retractable landing gear I would track down Bryan Carr in Langley, BC. He's currently working on what I think is his tenth RV or Rocket, and it will have retractable gear (it's an RV-4, IIRC). One of his earlier creations was an RV-4 with retractable gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
Not only has Bryan put in retractable mains, but his tail gear retracts as well. ... Fuselage is based on an RV-4, but Bryan stretched it by a few inches (4?) and is using an O-375 from Aero Sport. He calls it a Rocket because that simplifies the paperwork.
A fellow aviation photographer from my area recently posted the following picture on a discussion forum that we frequent. I wonder if it's the new airplane or the previous one. Very cool, one way or the other.

PS: I think it's interesting that, when one contemplates the slick look of most RVs, a natural thought is "It would look even cooler with retractable gear". I'm sure that most people who even think about it, think about it due to looks and the engineering challenge (and the pride of having made something unique), not to gain a couple knots. It's funny how often the question comes up, e.g. here and here and here (including even a discussion about the possibility of only retracting the nosewheel). Only rarely do we get actual evidence of people doing it, like Marcus' beautiful RV-7RG here with its unique wing, and Bob Gallagher's RV-4RG in Memphis, and that RV-4RG in Germany. By the way, how much RV is in the Radial Rocket? I don't know about the history of the design, but the name (and its general look) implies that it's an RV derivative to some extent (but I could be totally wrong about that. It's significantly heavier and more powerful than 2-seater RVs).

Last edited by AirShowFan : 01-20-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Default Retract RV-4

The good thing about doing a retract mod is the ability to keep up with Lancairs with no trouble.

"Sure is nice to have smart friends"

Last edited by olyolson : 03-20-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirShowFan View Post
A fellow aviation photographer from my area recently posted the following picture on a discussion forum that we frequent. I wonder if it's the new airplane or the previous one.
I checked the Transport Canada Civil Aircraft Register, and C-FCPG was first registered in 2012, so it Bryan's most recent creation. Pretty aircraft.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 PM

Default RV-7 RG Operational experiance

Hi there gents. Has anyone heard from Marc with respect to how things are coming along with the RG? any performance numbers and final weights?

Regards,

Tom.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:15 AM

Default Any updates on this Project?

So interesting....