What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Retractable RV-10??

I actually looked at the feasibility of this on my -10. After much study of the structure and the mods required plus several potential show stoppers, it was clear that adding 75 lbs., 300-400 hours and 10-12 knots would not be worth it. This would be harder to do than on a 6, 7 or 8.

fmarino1976 said:
Retractable RV10??
ROTFL. Anything is possible with enough time and money-but worth it!?

rv6ejguy said:
I actually looked at the feasibility of this on my -10. After much study of the structure and the mods required plus several potential show stoppers, it was clear that adding 75 lbs., 300-400 hours and 10-12 knots would not be worth it. This would be harder to do than on a 6, 7 or 8.
The 10 is faired pretty well so 10-12 knots would be optimistic indeed, I would say 5-6 knots and a $10,000 per year insurance bill.

Based on the RV-4RG (Search this forum for details) that was built in Germany the 4 knot and 80 lb gain wasn't worth the effort, IMHO.

N941WR said:
Based on the RV-4RG (Search this forum for details) that was built in Germany the 4 knot and 80 lb gain wasn't worth the effort, IMHO.
My thoughts exactly. The weight penalty would be substantial, and speed gain minimal. I WOULD look cool though!! That is, after all, why people buy and fly retractables, right? :D ;)

w1curtis said:
ROTFL. Anything is possible with enough time and money-but worth it!?

The 10 is faired pretty well so 10-12 knots would be optimistic indeed, I would say 5-6 knots and a $10,000 per year insurance bill.

With the bigger wheels and tires plus the nose gear on the -10, I felt we'd be looking at closer to 10 knots.

The aileron linkage in the -10 is very different from the other RVs and in the way of the gear if made retractable. It looks like it would have to retract outboard like a Spitfire, giving a narrow track. This is due to the much lighter overall structure of the -10 compared to other RVs. The nose gear presented many potential problems as well as the central tunnel houses rudder cables, fuel system, heating system and is very structural. Also width and length of the tunnel is inadequate for housing the nose gear and actuator.

Of course anything can be done but after about 3 hours of looking at all the problems to solve and the disadvantages, it was a no brainer- add the turbos and get our 10-15 knots the easy way. :)

Back