What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Ground points

Graham

I am currently wiring my RV-6 fitted with a Dynon D100 & D120, and am looking at options for grounding my cockpit wires on both sides of the firewall.

Has anybody used the B & C Brass plates with soldered "Faston" lugs & brass bolts as recommended by Bob Knuckolls? If so where on the firewall did you insall them and did you put a 2nd fitting back to back on the firewall fwd face.

I have the -7 firewall fwd kit & odyssey P680 batery.

My preferred config is to mount one behind above the battery picking up on the battery ground point that Vans recommend. If I do that putting one on the fwd face interferes with battery removal, as does one of the bolts.

I am thinking of putting the grounding fitting higher up & lengthening the battery earth cable but that wll foul the oil pressure line.

Other than the crankase ground there are only 2 other separate ground wires reqd from the engine, being the oil press, & carb temp, so I may just take them back to the brass bolt on the B & C fitting, & not bother with one on the fwd face.

All suggestions, especially photos, most welcome.

Thanks

I have a -4 so I have no input on location. I did mount it high though.

I bought the double sided B&C although I didn't hook a single wire to the firewall side. The way I had it run it made sense and looked better to have it all run through a grommet on the firewall. It's not that many wires.

I will use this fast-on style on my next airplane. It's worth every penny.

I used only one, on the inside side of the firewall, for grounding all avionics and items with "active" circuitry i.e. LED nav lights. I positioned it inboard of the battery, such that the brass lug lined up with the negative lug on the battery, which made connecting the ground trivially easy.

I did the same as ChiefPilot; same location, no tabs on the firewall side. I was also glad I bought the 24 tab strip from B&C ... I ended up using every tab, and only had to double up wires on one.
I actually bought two GB24s just in case. I'll make you a deal on the second one that I never used. Sent a PM.

We used the B&C one with tabs on both side (24 per side) mounted it top just to the right side of centerline on firewall. Convenient for battery and braided cables to engine case. Used all tabs in the cockpit side for grounds and about five on the firewall side.
Phelps

Back