What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static port location

geostephenson1

I'm New Here
Hello Paul,
This may sound dumb but I can't find on RV7A plans where the exact position of the static ports should be. I purchased the SafeAir1 kit for pitot and static ports. No instructions included and since they don't know which RV model I'm building it's moot. Other than calling Van's, (which I shall), any ideas?
Thank you,
George Stephenson

It's on DWG 28 detail E

_static%2Bport%2Blocation_Page_31.jpg

question

I have a question - anyone think there would be any problems with moving it forward an inch to 1-11/16"?

I have a question - anyone think there would be any problems with moving it forward an inch to 1-11/16"?

Not sure about 1" but I (and many others) have the Safair ports and moved them forward just enough to clear the bulkhead flange so they sit flush on the skin. I'm not flying yet but it seems to be working pretty well for others. I also used Proseal to attach them directly to the skin. No rivets. They won't be moving anytime soon. I got this idea from Mike Bullock (Thanks Mike!) http://www.rvplane.com/?categoryid=4&dayid=506

Last edited:
That was exactly why I asked the question and what I was planning my install to be. Hope the 1" additional wont be a problem. If the safeair doesn't work out as designed I guess I can just drill it and install the rivet.

One inch may not matter, but then again, it might.

Here is how I mounted mine. It seems to work just fine. Never mind I lost 1/64ths of a knot by surface mounting them.

Back