What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Static Port Location?

BillL

Well Known Member
I was about to install the static port & run the line to instruments. Trying to ensure a properly located static port, did some research and studied my documentation. It seems there are two locations. The original static port kit has a hand drawn location just ahead of F-707, but drawing #28, dated 07-21-00 shows it it ahead of F-708 (one bulkhead further to the rear). I know this is not a new revelation. The reference location is slightly different as well.

Finally, the question(s):
1. Is the aft location the correct one?
2. Has there been any difference documented between the two?
3. Does anyone have a good trick for retaining the line under the rail in the passenger compartment?

BTW - I did a serious search here on VAF, but did not find definitive answers on VAF.

oh - I will be using the button rivet.

I ran into the same thing, only you did better than I did...I only noticed the discrepency after I put it in the hand drawing location. I think this is from the RV 6 era. I had to do a fair amount of filing down and flattening the dome shape to get the static system to work properly. I would go with the newer drawing location.

Thanks for the help Jeremy, Drawing 28 location it is. Apparently, you and I are the only ones to have this issue. I'll proceed tomorrow!

Happy Flying.

I would suggest that you install the static port where Vans recommends it. There has only been one location that I am aware of for the RV7. The RV 6 is a different airplane with a shorter fuselage.

My static kit from Van's for my 7A serial #1026 came with a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet hand drawing of the location, so I put it there. It was only after I was having issues in flight testing that I looked at someone else's 7A and the static port was one bulkhead away from where I put mine. He said he did it according to instructions. I went and got my hand drawn location sheet and they were different from the location shown on the big drawings. I then looked at my big drawings and they were the the same as my friend's big drawings. The problem was that there were 2 drawings supplied that disagreed with each other...the big sheet drawing and the hand drawing included with the static kit. I think Van simply neglected to remove the old location drawing from the static kit.

Back