What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help finding an alternator

Darren S

Well Known Member
My alternator failed in flight yesterday. Finally the weather up here in Canada warmed up enough for me to get out. Now this delay:(

I pulled the alternator off. There is a broken mounting bracket (see pict) that likely caused the alternator to vibrate and the bearings to fail. I need to buy a new one but no one seems to know what type of alternator this is and where to get one. A fella told me it was an INTERAV alternator but I can't reach them, I can't get a hold of the previous owner, there is no Data Plate and there are no notations in the log books.

So off to VAF my favorite source of info. I want to find one and get it up here by the weekend so I can go fly again. I don't care what it costs. Here are some picts. Do you have one sitting around in your garage ??

GCVWalternator003.jpg

GCVWalternator006.jpg

GCVWalternator005.jpg

GCVWalternator001.jpg

Thanks,

Darren

I saved this from a prior post to keep in my toolbox. Not sure if this is yours, but it worked for me. You can find at Autozone in the U.S.

"The original 35a alternator that Vans sold for years is a NipponDenso as used on 1976-1979 Honda Civic CVCC without air conditioning. A common number you can find in Duralast and other reman alternators is 14184. The Beck/Arnley number is 186-0100. No problems with running the alternator "backwards" and you can leave the stock fan in place. A blast tube to the rear of the alternator is a good idea for diode cooling. A 1975 Ford regulator works great with this unit. You should be able to purchase alternator and regulator for less than 50 bucks. As long as you own the 1979 Honda you have a lifetime warranty."

"The original 35a alternator that Vans sold for years is a NipponDenso as used on 1976-1979 Honda Civic CVCC without air conditioning. A common number you can find in Duralast and other reman alternators is 14184. The Beck/Arnley number is 186-0100. No problems with running the alternator "backwards" and you can leave the stock fan in place. A blast tube to the rear of the alternator is a good idea for diode cooling. A 1975 Ford regulator works great with this unit. You should be able to purchase alternator and regulator for less than 50 bucks. As long as you own the 1979 Honda you have a lifetime warranty."

This paragraph doesn't apply to the unit in the pics as it appears to be a stock Vans/Nippon Denso 60a, internally regulated unit; the p/n for that is 14684, but I read previously that most auto part houses no longer carry that part number. I bought a new (reman) Dura-Last unit a couple of years ago from Auto Zone, p/n was 14824 and was a direct plug-n-play replacement, cost was roughly $100 USD with core return. Just search for a 1987 Suzuki Samurai alternator and you're in business.

Ok, thanks for the help with identifying the alternator. You guys were right, the alternator is a Nippon/Denso alternator. This particular one I have is commonly used on John Deere tractors and forklifts !! Sheesh.... the things we fly behind :)

Anyways, since I was no longer looking for an aviation part, nor an automotive part I started digging in the Farm equipment section of the yellow pages. Hee haw !! I struck gold.

Should be back in the air on the weekend. Thanks for the help VAF and the quick response.

Blue Skies await,

Darren

Check the mounting distances since your mounting bracket cracked.

Lycoming Service Instruction 1270A talks about shimming the mounts to within a 0.004 inch fit before tightening down the mounting bolts. This would seem to make sense as it would prevent a pre-load on the alternator mounting bracket and alternator "ears"...:)

Pictures of the other side of the alternator bracket here...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=53622

Darren

I have a new (reman) 14824 ND Alternator from an 1987 Suzuki Samarai. I believe it to be the same as the one you are looking for. It sounds like you have found one locally, but if no joy, let me know and we'll work something out.

Regards,

John Crate
rv6a(at)rogers.com

replace 35a?

Does anyone know if this alternator (14870) is a bolt-on replacement for the Vans 35A unit (14184)?

So what is it?

Ok, thanks for the help with identifying the alternator. You guys were right, the alternator is a Nippon/Denso alternator. This particular one I have is commonly used on John Deere tractors and forklifts !! Sheesh.... the things we fly behind :)

Anyways, since I was no longer looking for an aviation part, nor an automotive part I started digging in the Farm equipment section of the yellow pages. Hee haw !! I struck gold.

Should be back in the air on the weekend. Thanks for the help VAF and the quick response.

Blue Skies await,

Darren

So what did you determine is the correct direct replacement for the 60a?

The cracked "ear" looks really wimpy. My alternator looks almost exactly like it except the ears are both part of the housing casting.

Alternator.jpg

Last edited:
My alternator looked exactly like that,couldnt find any numbers on it,a 1980 suzki samurai is an exact replacement,the bracket is cast instead of sheet metal ,worked great,found it a oreilly auto parts.

To Ron LEE...it looks like a split lock washer has fallen through the cooling slots and is laying on the wiring of the alternator. Yes / No??

Mine failed also.

Do yourself a favor and go out and buy a Plane Power or a B&C. My Plane Power unit came with a real nice mounting kit and belt. It's smaller than the Nippon and has a built in regulator and over voltage crowbar cutout. The B&C is about the same price but you have to buy an external regulator. So the Plane Power ends up cheaper. I think it was $400 or so. Well worth it. It's also 60 amps. I installed mine after 50 hours on the plane and the original Vans unit failed. I now have 200 hours and it's working perfectly. Check out their web site and see what the unit looks like. The Vans units are cheap rebuilt units. Each one comes with it's own problems. On mine the pulley spun on the shaft and stopped charging. Good luck.

NOELF, you are very observant. That may explain the problem I was having with that alternator. I was getting indications of a higher than normal voltage so I replaced the one in the picture with my spare alternator.

Now I need to understand how a split washer got into the alternator. Perhaps a boo boo when I mounted it the last time.

Update: so far I can't get it out. I may have to take the alternator apart to remove it.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and go out and buy a Plane Power or a B&C. My Plane Power unit came with a real nice mounting kit and belt. It's smaller than the Nippon and has a built in regulator and over voltage crowbar cutout. The B&C is about the same price but you have to buy an external regulator. So the Plane Power ends up cheaper. I think it was $400 or so. Well worth it. It's also 60 amps. I installed mine after 50 hours on the plane and the original Vans unit failed. I now have 200 hours and it's working perfectly. Check out their web site and see what the unit looks like. The Vans units are cheap rebuilt units. Each one comes with it's own problems. On mine the pulley spun on the shaft and stopped charging. Good luck.

But Van's does have the best price on the PLANE POWER.

Replacement for 14184

Does anyone know if this alternator (14870) is a bolt-on replacement for the Vans 35A unit (14184)?

Sam

I purchased a p/n 14824, 55 amp alternator from Advanced Auto parts today and used it to replace the original 35 amp model from Van's on a 0-360. It was a direct replacement. Used the same mount, bolts, connector & belt. It was $95 and I traded in the old 35 amp unit for the core. $24 core charge if you don't have an old one. Came with life time warranty.

Sam

I purchased a p/n 14824, 55 amp alternator from Advanced Auto parts today and used it to replace the original 35 amp model from Van's on a 0-360. It was a direct replacement. Used the same mount, bolts, connector & belt. It was $95 and I traded in the old 35 amp unit for the core. $24 core charge if you don't have an old one. Came with life time warranty.

Yes, but did you prime it first? Your airplane will fall out of the sky if you don't prime it, you know!

Sam

Thanks, Tommy! Since the 14824 is internally regulated, what wiring changes did you need to make at the connector?

Alternator replacement

Thanks, Tommy! Since the 14824 is internally regulated, what wiring changes did you need to make at the connector?

Sam

The 35 amp alternator I replaced was also internally regulated. The green wire out of the 3 wire plug goes to the alternator switch for switching the alternator on and off. The other 2 wires in the plug and not needed. The old 35 amp alternator was purchased from Van's in 2002.

35A Alternator and Voltage Regulator

I found an alternator for a 1970 Toyota Pickup 1.9L has a fan turning in the correct direction. At Autozone Duralast 14129. I believe this is the same alternator that is on the 1977 Honda Civic CVCC ( Duralast 14184) except for the fan direction.

Also for the voltage regulator Motorcityreman.com sells a P8-405 ( non-adjustable) or P8-405A (adjustable)
Another part no. Is VSH-6201JY

Pete W

Back