VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 PM

I spend some time on Sat researching how to install the coweling. Today I installed the top half. This is looking more like an airplane every day I used paint sticks as spacers between the coweling and the spinner. I also used PVC pipes to simulate the Catto prop. Hope to start work on the cheeks and lower coweling soon.

West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 03-30-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 AM

Default Just My 2 Cents....

SWEET!!!!!
817-705-6300
bfreckman(at)tx.rr.com
Hangar 343 T67 Hicks (D/FW Sec)
Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 AM

Default Imitation is the greatest flattery...

Axel,

Looks great and nice work on the James cowl! When Dave Anders taxied up at Sun N Fun in 97 with his then polished fastback -4, I parked next to him with my polished, 928 lb 150HP RV4. My first thought was, Harmon Rocket fastback on a -4? Wow, Great idea!

It still is...

Smokey
HR2

Blasphemy!!!!!

PS:Really?..John Harmon would say otherwise, the 8 was designed after Van saw the HR2 prototype, which was constructed from a -4 kit, not 8A

Last edited by smokyray : 03-30-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Opulence, I has it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post
PS:Really?..John Harmon would say otherwise, the 8 was designed after Van saw the HR2 prototype, which was constructed from a -4 kit, not 8A

Really?...did you think that was a serious statement?

Joe
DFW, VAF #17

SOLD
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 PM

Bill, Smokey thanks. Slowly moving along. I hope she flys soon. Feels like I am down to months vice years now.
West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:45 AM

Thumbs up Cool RV4

Axel

Your -4 looks totaly BAD A$$

With the mods you have done it should be a 190kt to 200kt machine
VAF#408 RV4 N359DM Flying 886 hrs. 1/26/2017
Builder Log
Old 03-31-2009, 09:50 AM

Default I LOVE IT!

Hey Axel,

Looking GREAT! I love the look. I'm getting flashbaks watching your quick progress. Was telling Bill we need to do a FASTBACK -4 formation to OSH. Got my wheel pants done this last weekend so doing weight and balance this weekend, maybe DAR check next week. Our planes sure look fast anyway, hopefully all we expect!

I could not have got where I'm at without all the help from people on this web site!

Keep on pounding, grinding and riveting!
SOLD RV-6/RV-8/Rocket
Retired USAF, Current Boeing Driver
Dues paid ...thru 2016
Old 03-31-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetj01 View Post
Hey Axel,
Was telling Bill we need to do a FASTBACK -4 formation to OSH.
Won't be this year but.. number 3 is in.
West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM

Axel,
Can you briefly describe what you've done differently with your canopy side height ?? Something looks different about it (and I like it) and I read one mention of how you have lowered the sides. I believe I've seen a couple of RV's that seemed to have the canopy sides raised - making the see-through part smaller - and I didn't like that so much. I'm interested in yours; like do you know how much lower your canopy goes from standard i.e. does a simple 1/4" make that big a difference or does it take a full inch to make that difference ? Did you use another reference to determine your line ?
Rocket (under construction)
Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryj View Post
Axel,
Can you briefly describe what you've done differently with your canopy side height ??

Did you use another reference to determine your line ?
Larry,
this is what I did.

-I purchased a rocket canopy from Todd.
-Tried to fit the canopy to the RV-4 canopy frame.
-Spent over 2 weeks trying to make it fit. I cut every piece of metal that ran side to side on the frame (I also cut every weld after it was all said and done).
-Got the width of the canopy frame to fit the airplane, then tried to make the canopy fit the upper side tubes of the canopy frame.
-Looked at it for about a week and decided to instead of cutting the bottom of the canopy to fit the frame, I would make the frame fit the canopy. I just wanted the best possible visibility out of the back seat for my wife. That is the main reason for the choice.

If you look at the pic below, you will see the canopy frame bulkhead (between the pilot and copilot). If you look at the upper corners, you can see the old location of the side tubes. Those side tubes used to be welded to the bulkhead. The bottom of the canopy is almost 4 inches lower at the lowest location (the rear).

The front section:
If you look at the pics below you can see that I lowered the side tubes considerably in the front as well. The tube that used to hold the front of the canopy was cut and welded to the actual frame. The reason was so I could extend the canopy forward and down. The canopy is approximately 4 inches forward of the original location per plans. I really like the look and think visibility would be a little nicer. But then again the original visibility was not bad. Hope that help, and not confused you more. Send me a PM with you phone number if you want to talk.

The next step is to make the skirts out of glass. That will be a challenge. I have not figured out how to make it flow nicely yet. I need to rivet the fastback prior to the glass work. Still waiting for a bucking partner.

West Coast Ravens
VAF 2017 paid VAF 704