Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-01-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hill View Post
Does anybody know of occurrences of this cracking i.e. who / what / why / when triggered this SB? I have one possible suspicion...
Me too. It was the first thing I thought of...
Old 02-01-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
From reading the SB, inspecting before further flight and then every annual seems fine. So if you don't have cracks and don't think you'll get them just doing that until a crack (possibly) shows up some year seems like a fine way to go...
On page 2, Method of Compliance says:
If no cracks are found, no immediate action is necessary. Repeat this inspection at each subsequent annual condition inspection until such time that this service bulletin has been complied with in its entirety.

I read this as you can inspect as long as there are no cracks, but they do expect us to make the changes that are detailed regardless of whether cracks do form. I wouldn't assume that we aren't going to get cracks if we don't see them, though.

rvblog.thebrices.com
Old 02-01-2014, 08:04 AM

I find it strange that cracks in this area have never been reported here (at least that i can recall) on the most popula Vans specific forum in the world yet there apparently was enough evidence of cracks that the factory created an SB for them. This spar design spans decades and thousands of planes. Why now?

This is no minor SB, drilling out some of those rivets and then riveting them back without causing additional damage is going to be tough.

With many RV's being flown to the edge of the envelope on a routine basis, how many of them have seen cracks here?
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 02-01-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmingman View Post
On page 2, Method of Compliance says:
If no cracks are found, no immediate action is necessary. Repeat this inspection at each subsequent annual condition inspection until such time that this service bulletin has been complied with in its entirety.

I read this as you can inspect as long as there are no cracks, but they do expect us to make the changes that are detailed regardless of whether cracks do form. I wouldn't assume that we aren't going to get cracks if we don't see them, though.
No Cracks found No Action required until next Condition Inspectionů Then Repeat Until such time Cracks are found or SB complied with without the development of cracks

Required Action:
Inspect for cracks as described. If cracks are present, stop drill cracks and install HS-00001 Doubler (RV-6,7) or HS-00003 Doubler (RV-8) and HS-00002 Rib Flange Angle (RV-6,7) or HS-00004 Rib Flange Angle (RV-8) to both sides of the aircraft before further flight.

Time of Compliance:
Inspect before further flight and at each annual condition inspection until such time that this service bulletin has been complied with in its entirety.

Method of Compliance:
Inspection: Remove the Empennage fairing. Carefully inspect for cracks emanating from the stress relief notch at the inboard end of the forward horizontal stabilizer spar flanges. (see Figure 1 and figure 3). Clean the area and remove any paint, overspray or primer that could hide a crack. Cracks may be very small and hard to detect.

If no cracks are detected, no immediate action is necessary. Repeat this inspection at each subsequent annual condition inspection until such time that this service bulletin has been complied with in its entirety.
If cracks are detected, or if the doublers are to be installed as preventative maintenance, comply with the following steps:
Old 02-01-2014, 08:09 AM

They way they wrote it definitely leaves it open to some interpretation. I read it as check for cracks at every annual unless you have completed the SB.

This SB is gonna be pretty interesting. How many end up being cracked? What are the high time guys going to find? How challenging is the fix really going to be?

I'm going to check mine today.

RV-7A
Flying
Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 AM

My F1 Rocket kit has a similar but a much longer reinforcement plate on the back side of the HS front spar and also a reinforcement on the back side of the VS spar. There is also one on the front side of the rear spar. When I built the tail I thought these were very good mods and I would incorporate them on my -6 when I get around to rebuilding the tail.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Default compliance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Since I am a couple of months from bolting my HS on for the final time (and first flight), maybe I will wait until there are reports from the flying fleet before deciding to rip into it.
So what are other builders going to do with a HS built but hanging in the garage? This SB is some serious work. I don't mind but I don't want to damage a perfectly good HS.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.

Last edited by wirejock : 02-01-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-01-2014, 09:12 AM

I do not see how you are going to buck those rivets without removing the skin, let alone drill out all those rivets without causing more damage. There are a lot of folks that did not build their plane, I can see this being a very expensive repair.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:15 AM

550hr / lots of aeros / 2005 RV-8 HS.

The "relief notches" are not there, nor called for in the Builders' Manual (RV-3 "in build" I see I have somewhat notched). Drawings on close examination do appear to show them...

No cracks seen by close visual inspection nor zooming in to photos.

I am slightly unsure as to the implications if there were cracks - the thin HS-702 in this area is strongly reinforced by the HS-810 angle?

I might suggest Vans will sit on the fence, and maybe so should we, over whether to incorporate the additional parts even if no cracks. A pattern of how many / high hour? suffer from the problem might make it clearer.

If my/Brad's suspicion (above) proves founded, I would think more information will be forthcoming in later reports...
RV8tors
Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
It doesn't say for the 9 models, but I am reading this pretty close and will see if it is looks like it may apply.
The -9 (and -10 & -14) all have Hershey bar horizontal stabs with a flat, straight front spar profile, don't they? The 6/7/8 all have tapered HS with swept leading edges and angles bent into the front HS spar. The 4 has an HS very similar to the 6 so I wonder why it wasn't also included especially since 4s probably see more acro than the rest of the fleet.