What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FADEC

BobCollins(AA)

Well Known Member
Hi,
Empenage and wings completed working on fuselage. Looking at engines for my RV-7A and trying to get an education on FADEC system that would also control the prop.

Hi,
Empenage and wings completed working on fuselage. Looking at engines for my RV-7A and trying to get an education on FADEC system that would also control the prop.

For this class of engine, the most advanced and promising FADEC system that had been on the market was that from Aerosance. It implemented fairly sophisticated closed-loop control of mixture and ignition timing (but still excluded any control of the prop). Though it was still maturing, it showed a lot of promise technically. Unfortunately, the with the acquisition and relocation of Aerosance by Continental a few years back, this FADEC product line is dead and buried. It is no longer available, and those already in the field are now orphaned and are unfortunately left for all practical purposes without support.

There is the Eagle EMS system from Precision Airmotive, which some have referred to as a FADEC, but that's a stretch. It's essentially just electronic ignition and fuel injection, with only very primitive open loop control maps, and still require manual mixture adjustment under some conditions (so what's the point?). Also, no prop control.

The only real FADEC I'm aware of today that falls into the category you're asking about is Lycoming's IE2 system. It looks very promising technically. But to my knowledge (from speaking with Lycoming people about it at OSH), it hasn't been made available to our market, and won't be any time in the foreseeable future. This isn't a bolt-on replacement for mags and FI on a legacy engine. Rather, it is more highly integrated with the engine and airframe, and according to Lycoming, requires a significant collaborative integration effort between the engine designer (Lycoming) and airframe designer. In other words, if Lycoming and Van's collaborate on a firewall forward package for an IE2 engine (as Lycoming did with Lancair for the piston-powered Evolution), that's the only way you'll ever see one on an RV. Lycoming won't sell you an IE2 engine as a one-off.

Last Monday went to the Monthly local chapter EAA meeting and had a great presentation from Precision Airmotive LLC on their FADEC system. It is called Eagle EMS system. It comprises of dual electronic ignition with electronic fuel control.

I didn't know Precision Airmotive is going under. Bummer! Never mind their Eagle EMS system, which I found disappointing. But I wonder what this will mean for their RSA-style mechanical fuel injection, which is dated, but is still a good product, having seen popular use for many years and enjoying a good service record.

Last Monday went to the Monthly local chapter EAA meeting and had a great presentation from Precision Airmotive LLC on their FADEC system. It is called Eagle EMS system. It comprises of dual electronic ignition with electronic fuel control.

Just to reiterate, the Eagle EMS system is hardly a FADEC. It does implement electronic ignition and fuel injection like you said, but without any real intelligence in the control algorithms. Operationally it's almost identical to the legacy ignition and fuel metering systems. The Eagle EMS uses fixed ignition timing, just like a magneto. And it uses an open loop mixture map plus a mixture adjustment knob in the cockpit, just like traditional RSA-style mechanical fuel injection.

You should get a hotter spark and cleaner plugs thanks to the EI portion of the Eagle EMS. That is one benefit. But you would get that benefit, plus the benefits of intelligent variable ignition timing, from any of the several decent EI products on the market. And as for the EFI portion of the Eagle EMS, the way they implemented it, there's really no apparent benefit. It doesn't implement cylinder balancing, nor does it implement closed loop mixture control. So to operate your engine efficiently with the Eagle EMS, you're still left having to twiddle a mixture knob in flight, same as with mechanical FI. And it will still have the same cylinder balancing limitations as mechanical FI because they didn't implement per-cylinder closed loop control.

So in the final analysis, the Eagle EMS system adds cost, weight, and makes your engine electrically dependent, while giving you almost none of the benefits of a real FADEC.

Good info roee. So what options are there for modern EFI?

I was hoping to ditch the mixture knob on my RV-7A. But the more I research, the more it seems like a good mechanical fuel injection system paired with p-mags and/or Plasma II or Silver Hawk would be a good way to go.

I don't really want to bother with fuel return to the tanks. A bit more weight, more complexity, more points joints to leak.

Thanks,
Russ

Good info roee. So what options are there for modern EFI?

I was hoping to ditch the mixture knob on my RV-7A. But the more I research, the more it seems like a good mechanical fuel injection system paired with p-mags and/or Plasma II or Silver Hawk would be a good way to go.

I don't really want to bother with fuel return to the tanks. A bit more weight, more complexity, more points joints to leak.

Thanks,
Russ

I know that today there is an EFI offering from these guys: http://www.flyefii.com/, but I can't comment on it because I don't know much about it. It's relatively new on the market, and wasn't far enough along in development / testing to be a contender for my 7A when I had to make my engine decisions about 2 years ago. And since it was no longer relevant to my project, I haven't kept up on these guys since then.

Just FYI, I too was very much hoping to do away with the mixture knob on my 7A. But alas, in the end, I didn't. I'm a big proponent of FADEC technology in principle (find some interesting reading on the topic here). But when it came time to make the best decision I could for my airplane given what was available at the time, I found that for this class of engine there was simply no FADEC or electronic FI product available that made good sense. So, just as you suggest, I ended up going with dual P-Mags and the Silver Hawk mechanical FI as the best compromise given the available choices at the time.

Is VAF community interested in FADEC?

Would I get my money out of of FADEC system when it comes time to sell? Probably not. Before buying anything that I might eventually sell, I consider exit strategy, and based on the surprising low number of views of this thread, it apparently does not intrigue the VAF community as much as it does me. I am going in Roee?s direction.

EFII

For any of you guys considering a complete modern engine management system, we are continually growing our base of flying aircraft that are using our electronic fuel injection and high energy ignition system. It is an easily maintainable system that you can grow with. Any of our ignitions can be upgraded to the full system if you want to take it one step at a time.
More info is available on our website at www.flyefii.com.

If you have any questions, send me a note at
"robert at protekperformance.com"
Robert Paisley

Discussion with Eagle EMS engineer

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the email. I'm assuming you're referring to my comments posted on the VAF Forum. I'll post your email there, along with my reply to it (below). But I also encourage you to join the forum yourself and participate in the discussion there directly. Your input would be most welcome. And if there are any misconceptions or misunderstandings about your product, then by all means, let's clarify them.

On 1/14/2013 8:51 AM, Dennis Anttila wrote:
Hello,

I am commenting on your statements about the Eagle EMS from Precision Airmotive. You seemed concerned that one had to use a manual mixture control. This is not true. The Eagle does all the computations for air-fuel and there is no need for a mixture control. The Lean Pot you are talking about is used as a economy tool in that when at cruise altitude one can lean out from 12.5 to 1 to 17.5 to 1 or what value give a comfortable EGTs. This can be also set up in tables via a laptop so one does not need to use the Lean Pot for economy. It seems most pilots like the manual mode always setting it to their best number and fly from there. Either way the lean function is disabled when full throttle is requested such as a change in altitude. This system has been proven up to 27,000 feet (with oxygen) and set a record.

The Eagle does not have prop control but could be an option with additional hardware. Please feel free to contact me for any other information as I work for Precision Airmotive and am the Hardware and software designer here. All I want is to clarify any mis-beliefs about the system.

Sincerely, Dennis Anttila

Precision Airmotive LLC
Marysville, WA 98271

Unless I missed a subtlety in your explanation, it is entirely consistent with my understanding of your system (which I obtained from your published documentation, as well as from presentations and discussion with your colleagues at Oshkosh in 2009/2010).

As you said, when talking about manual mixture adjustment with your system, I was referring to the Lean Pot. I understand that your system can function on its mixture base maps alone, without the Lean Pot. I don't doubt this. My criticism pertains to the inclusion and need for the Lean Pot to achieve optimal leaning across different operating conditions associated with different phases of flight.

As I'm sure you're aware, the optimal fuel-air mixture does vary between different operating conditions, spanning at least three possible distinct operating regimes that one might employ: best power, best economy on the rich side of peak EGT ("ROP"), and best economy on the lean side of peak EGT ("LOP"). Best power mixture is called for when full power is commanded, and I understand that you do implement this. But when less than full power is commanded, there is more intelligence required in order to find the optimal best economy fuel-air mixture. A first order cut at it can be just another mixture map, which I think is what you're describing as the alternative to the Lean Pot. This would presumably be only for ROP if there is only one best econ map, because LOP operation must be further restricted to a narrower set of operating conditions. But in any case, further fine-tuning of mixture from the map value does does require closed-loop control, because open loop maps by their nature must be sufficiently conservative to account for all possible worst-case variations in unmonitored operating parameters. And this is where, if my understanding is correct, your system doesn't implement the necessary closed-loop control, but rather leaves it to the pilot to fine-tune mixture via the Lean Pot. Is that correct?

As I'm sure you're aware, finding best economy mixture is not as simple as just adjusting mixture to find a target EGT number. EGT-based leaning is certainly a valid approach, and is the approach commonly used by pilots with legacy fuel metering systems. But there's more to it than just a target EGT number. Absolute EGT numbers are fairly meaningless. They will vary substantially under different operating conditions, from one engine installation to the next, and even between different cylinders on the same engine. Variations in cylinder, intake and exhaust geometry, and tolerances in the injectors themselves will also lead to mixture imbalance between cylinders (which I don't believe you compensate for, but you could!), and subsequent differences in EGT peaking between cylinders. So with all that, EGT-based leaning requires (by the conventional approach) sweeping mixture over a range, detecting peak EGT points per cylinder, and then adjusting mix for a prescribed minimum margin on the desired side of peak EGT, which in itself is also a choice dictated by operating conditions. Optimal leaning also requires careful prevention of operating in detonation regions, as well as monitoring for signs of actual detonation (typically via cylinder head temps for lack of a knock sensor...).

This is the level of engine management required by the pilot to keep the engine healthy and operating at optimal fuel economy. And this is the level of engine management I would expect a FADEC to implement for it to have a an attractive value proposition. It could implement that level of functionality by these methods or others. But in any case, it should implement this level of functionality transparently and autonomously, relieving the pilot of the mixture management task.

P.S. About prop control, are you saying simply that it's possible (of course it is) and that your architecture could hypothetically be built upon to support it? Or are you saying that you actually have this option implemented, tested, and available to customers?

Thanks,

-Roee

More info from Eagle EMS engineer

More info from Eagle EMS engineer:

On 1/14/2013 3:12 PM, Dennis Anttila wrote:
Thanks Roee,

Because the system is tuned to each type engine usually only one number needs be changed - the volume of one cylinder i.e, 320cu = 80, 360cu = 90 etc. But that doesn't account for the type prop, exhaust and intake. These are controlled by the VE tables. Second the EQR (Equivalent Ratio Table) is set to 117 for all conditions of "best power". The lean pot modifies these values such that they may be changed to 100 (14.7 to 1 air fuel) or Stoich at the desired MAP an BAP conditions. We leave this up to the owner of the system as every aircraft is different. The same is true for advance/retard timing and is dependent on the type prop used among other things like over temp cooling and high altitude. This is why we have customer support but as shipped 27 degrees is the max we set it for. It can be set to more but not without testing for harmonics. Anything other than factory settings should be discussed. I hope this helps more than confuse. Anyway thanks for the input. I'll check out the forum.

Dennis

Eagle EMS

I would have to disagree with part of what is said about the Eagle FADEC system. I have it installed and have been using it since mid 3009 on my RV8 running an IO-360. It does have a lean knob to allow the pilot to change the fuel mixture ration, but what was not mentioned is the fact that you don't need to. At the zero setting the air/fuel ration is tuned to 12.5 to 1. This was determined to be the best power setting. No matter what throttle position you have your throttle in or altitude your at, it will always stay at that setting. If you want to lean the mixture, you just adjust the knob like you would your lean control lever on your normal throttle system. The main difference here is that if you lean it to peak, it won't matter if you climb, pull back on throttle or accelerate, it will always stay at peak. This can all be done automatically if the pilot wishes with a change in the configuration of the system. I chose to manage the fuel myself since I would like to go lean of peak sometimes to see how much I can save. I have noticed about 1 gallon per hour fuel savings at a minimum. The biggest thing I noticed was the complete absence of hot starts. If you run a fuel injected engine, you know what I mean. When I start my engine (hot or cold) I simply crack the throttle about a 1/4 inch, turn on the boot pump momentarily to raise the pressure and then crank. It will fire very quickly. If you have any questions regarding this system I would be happy to help answer any of them. I do not work for Precision but I have been a happy customer for several years now. That said, I also like the system being offered by EFII as well. I still have more information I would like to get from them on the complete system but am currently checking into it. I think moving aircraft into the 21st century is long over due. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Info on Eagle EMS

I have been doing some research on the Precision Eagle electronic fuel injection and ignition. Reading the many posts here on the forum I had some reservations on the system. A little more research and some phone calls revealed the following:

Is Precision Airmotive is in Bankruptcy? Precision Airmotive was purchased out of bankruptcy and is now a going concern. The long term prospects sound good. They are continuing to develop the Eagle system and are now working on a six cylinder version (for the RV 10?). lhttp://precisionairmotive.com/Publications/PRacquisitionFINAL.pdf

Can each cylinders fuel injector be adjusted indivually to adjust for an unequal air charge? This is what you do with an analog (mechanical) fuel injection by swapping out injectors for one that gives a little more or les fuel. The answer is yes. The manual tells how to do this by changing the percentage of time each injector is open relative to the other injectors. I do not know if the EFII system has this feature, but it is important to me.

Eagle takes up the back two wells for CHT probes. How can you possibility monitor the aft two cylinder Head temps on your engine monitor without using the klunky spark plug gasket type probes? This was a deal breaker for me until I discovered that they make "piggyback" probes that attach on to the bayonet fitting where the probe is installed. It looks like a big ring terminal that is sized to go under the bayonet fitting in stead if the spark plug. Both EI and JPI make these probes depending on weather you want a ungrounded or grounded probe.
EI is ungrounded, look for EI P102 3/8 at Spruce. Probably not as good as the probe that goes down into the cylinder, but an acceptable compromise.

Back