What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking up your RV

rv8r

Changing tires is not so easy especially on round-rod geared RV's, so I wonder if someone has come up with a smart method to lift his RV up...?
Cheers, Dirk

A search of the archives will yield lots of info, gismos, and techniques.
Hint. Search, advanced search, jacking,search titles only.
Wallah!

Last edited:
Bingo, should have thought about it first:)
Thanks, Kahuna....
BTW, how many landings do your tires take until you replace them? 300 on pavement did it for my left tire (right one still good, seems a drilling problem at Vans with the gear legs..)
Dirk

Engine Lift Crane.

I use an engine lift crane with a strap around one of the members of the engine mount.
Jim Sharkey

Depends

For the A model at least.

In the hangar..use a HF lifting table with a few blocks of wood under tie down ring and jack away.

In the field, pa line boy $5 to sqat bent forwards under outboard wing and lift..Pull wheel and throw block of wood or similar under the axle..Fix tire and repeat.

The 2 seat A models are easy to lift this way but I never tried it on a taildragger

Frank

Bingo, should have thought about it first:)
Thanks, Kahuna....
BTW, how many landings do your tires take until you replace them? 300 on pavement did it for my left tire (right one still good, seems a drilling problem at Vans with the gear legs..)
Dirk

Accelerated left tire wear is typical. It is caused by engine torque on takeoff.

I rotate my tires to even out the wear.

Jack Stand & Muscle Power

I use Jack Stands and my Glute, Quads, & Hamstrings. First I position my jackstand in front of the wing near the jackpoint. Then I position myself with my spine along the spar, being careful to support my spine and pelvis on the wing. I am facing the center of the plane, outboard on the wing for leverage. I lift the plane with my legs and have a helper place the jackstand. I could probably do it myself if I had some foam between me and wing so I could extend my neck to see better. Use caution!

Trannyplane jack,........

Probably not the cheapest but certainly the easiest. Simple transmission jack from HF with pad under the wing spar. 1200 pounds as I remember it.

Bill S
7a almost there :)

Last edited:
More solutions from HF

Probably not the cheapest but certainly the easiest. Simple transmission jack from HF with pad under the wing spar. 1200 pounds as I remember it.

Bill S
7a almost there :)

I bought a 93116 table from Harbor Freight, on sale for $199, vice $249 regular. It is a 1000 pound capacity table, on large wheels with brakes, and an easy foot pedal to lift the table. It is very substantial (about 180 pounds) and moves easily. I pad the table top with some old construction phase seat cushions, and roll the table under the spar at/adjacent to the tiedown ring hole, and then lift the table to lift the plane. VERY stable. And the table goes to 36 inches, allowing more than enough elevation to float the gear leg.

Best of all, I can use the table for other purposes rather than having to store jacks or transmission lifts until the next tire/brake task. This is a cheap and effective solution that provides a lot of utility other than serving as a jack.

FYI, HF has a smaller table, lift capacity of 850# (as I recall) but it is priced at $179 and does not go to the same height. It would to the job with additional padding/blocking, not be as convenient, and save only $20.

Mike

Last edited:
I don't know Jack ! :)

...I used a variation on the Handi-Jack, which could also come in handy in the field, especially if alone.
-Block the other wheels securely.
-Put something like a cinderblock on end behind the tire.
-set a 5'-6' long 2x4 on it.
-tie a rope snug around the axle and the 2x4, ensuring the rope will not push on the brake line when under tension.
-Set a jack-stand or another block in front of the tire, and wire the 2x4 to the slider of the jackstand.
-do a proper squat lift with your back straight, and the jackstand will click up as you raise the tire clear of the ground, giving you easy access to the brakes,
wheel etc.

An inexpensive solution.

See attached picture. We welded the hydraulic jack to a stand made out of 1" tube steel.

Remove the tie down ring, insert a threaded rod or cut down bolt, lift.

Piece of cake.

wingjack.jpg

Easy

Took a small length of steel bar stock, turned one end to fit inside gear leg.
Pull off nut, insert bar, slide bottle jack (preferably one that has small V-groove on top jacking surface) under outer end of bar, leaving room to slide wheel off of spindle and onto bar. Then let spindle down on wood cribbing (4X4 block, etc., or could use small jackstand). Go to other side--repeat.

I built a set from those HF jacks for our cherokee a couple of years ago, and tried to use them on my RV8. They wouldn't work with a pin in the wing spar tie down, the tail would lift up before the wheel would.

Anybody else have that problem?

Sure happened to me!

I built a set from those HF jacks for our cherokee a couple of years ago, and tried to use them on my RV8. They wouldn't work with a pin in the wing spar tie down, the tail would lift up before the wheel would.

Anybody else have that problem?

I built two of the HF jack stands. The first time I tried jacking up my RV-4 with the nifty new stands I got quite a surprise... A friend and I were so busy equally jacking up each side that we failed to notice that the tail was reaching for the sky!

Solved the problem by tying a rope off the tail spring to two 50lb bags of sand (while the tail was sitting on the wood stand seen in the pic)

One other thing that works well is using two 1" sockets screwed into the wing tie down points using round head screws. The HF 'piston' fits loosely into the open end of the socket, and allows it to pivot on the round head screw, with no chance of the piston slipping off...

14uwd8k.jpg

of0qci.jpg

Tom
San Antonio

RV8 Jacking

Use those tall jacks on the RV8 by putting them under the gear legs where they bolt to the fuselage.

Remove the inspection covers for the gear leg bolts and U brackets.

I made a cradle that straddles the gear legs and is trapped between the two U brackets. The cradles have a pin that drops into the hole in the top of the ram. Gives me a more secure feeling when jacking the plane up.

The gear legs are far enough forward that jacking there doesn't lift the tail.

Some jacks might not have the vertical hole in the top of the ram. If so you can drill a hole in the ram or weld a tube on the cradles that slips over the jack ram.

Ted

Back