What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Magnetometer inside fuselage - Help

Fearless

Well Known Member
I installed my magnetometer at the second bulkhead behind the baggage bulkhead near the top under the skins. During my install I tried to check for magnetic conflicts and couldn't find any. The most metal back there would be the seat belt cables but I thought I was high enough away. I tried to do the calibration and am getting a fault/error even with the canopy closed. Has anyone been successful with an inside of fuselage install and not get the error/fault? I want to find out what was successful before I try to relocate it.

Last edited:
I installed my magnetometer at the second bulkhead behind the baggage bulkhead near the top under the skins. During my install I tried to check for magnetic conflicts and couldn't find any. The most metal back there would be the seat belt cables but I thought I was high enough away. I tried to do the calibration and am getting a fault/error even with the canopy closed. Has anyone been successfully with an inside of fuselage install and not get the error/fault? I want to find out what was successfully before I try to relocate it.

Not yet, but I plan to install the magnetometer forward of the baggage bulkhead hanging inside the channel connecting the baggage bulkhead to the roll bar.

Got mine mounted in the same place behind the baggage wall. Works fine.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Councelor

Not yet, but I plan to install the magnetometer forward of the baggage bulkhead hanging inside the channel connecting the baggage bulkhead to the roll bar.

Here's what I did on my -12:

photo2-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo1-2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I installed my magnetometer at the second bulkhead behind the baggage bulkhead near the top under the skins. During my install I tried to check for magnetic conflicts and couldn't find any. The most metal back there would be the seat belt cables but I thought I was high enough away. I tried to do the calibration and am getting a fault/error even with the canopy closed. Has anyone been successfully with an inside of fuselage install and not get the error/fault? I want to find out what was successfully before I try to relocate it.

Mine is installed exactly there (two of them) and has been working great. The seatbelt cables are stainless steal and won't effect the magnetometer that much. The only issue I had, I had installed the two Mags back to back, but they can not be mounted upside down so I mount both up right and since it has not had any issues. Calibration goes just fine with well within range of calibration and have hardly ever got split between the two AHARS.

I forgot to note that I have a slider. In the 12 we are building I plan to install it where Tom has his. I'm wondering if I got a bad magnetometer than. I'll move it a little first and if I get the same fault I'll send it back to GRT for an evaluation. Unfortunately I had if for a number of years and sure its out of warranty. Note to self - don't take so long building an airplane.

Magnetometer

I've been flying 8 years with a GRT magnetometer mounted exactly the same place you have yours mounted, never had a problem in 8 years, works perfect.

I I had if for a number of years and sure its out of warranty. Note to self - don't take so long building an airplane.

You know GRT changed the magnetometer a couple (?) of years ago. Make sure you have the software that's compatible with your box.
I'd also double check all connectors. Use a magnifying glass and make sure all pins are seated properly.

I have installed several magnetometers in that space and all have worked fine.
I did have issues calibrating a couple of times due to too much metal in the area where I as doing the calibration.
Once I moved to an open area away from metal hangars and reinforced concrete it calibrated without a problem
Might be worth a try
Good luck

Mine works great just in front of horizontal stab. Very easy to get to by removing the empennage fairing. I used brass hardware for the "leveler" screws, and secured the magnetometer with velcro....two strips on the underside and velcro straps (not shown) around the outside.

Like many others, mine is located at the top of the fuse behind the baggage bulkhead. Works great. The only difficulty was canting it at an approx. 8 or 9 degree angle to be perfectly perpendicular to the panel. That took a few measure-and -try iterations.

I initially installed my two magnetometers on fabricated gussets behind the rear baggage bulkhead. This did not work well as the slider when open had the steel frame of the canopy too close to them and interfering with the magnetometer. I moved it to the next bulkhead back using the same gusset. This position has worked just fine.

Magnetometer

I've got the dual magnetometer setup in my RV-8A. Located side-by-side on a bracket on 2nd bulkhead behind rear seat. Upgraded from single magnetometer which worked fine - now one mag calibrated without any problem, second mag has persistant calibration failure - all wires & connections checked. Any ideas?

John Moody

I've got the dual magnetometer setup in my RV-8A. Located side-by-side on a bracket on 2nd bulkhead behind rear seat. Upgraded from single magnetometer which worked fine - now one mag calibrated without any problem, second mag has persistant calibration failure - all wires & connections checked. Any ideas?

John Moody
I trust your second mag is not mounted upside down? I had done that with my two Mags, mounted back to back and that was a problem. They both need to be upright.

Hey Mike, I had an RV7 slider and that is where I mounted mine and if I booted the GRT up with the canopy all the way back it would cause about a 7 degree error but didn't change the location just didn't boot it up unless it was further forward.

Sent email to GRT

I sent an email to GRT asking if a software update could cause an issue with the magnetometer. Their reply was that it wouldn't. I tried the calibration page with canopy closed and the plane away from the hangar on asphalt and it still showed the fault. I might try the suggestion of booting up the EFIS with the canopy closed first and then check the calibration away from the hangars and see what happens there. After that I will wire an extension to the magnetometer and move it back to the empennage and see what happens then. If its still faulting then I will send it back to GRT.

Just a follow-up

I believe my issue was with the wiring of the 9 pin D-sub and not the location in the plane. Anyhow I have to decided to move the magnetometer to the right wing regardless. We will install the magnetometers in the RV-12 to inside the cockpit at the top before the baggage bulkhead due to the wings being removable.

Be careful here. Your location is good. Moving to the wingtip could be bad. Mine would not work in the wingtip of my 8 because of the aileron tubes. Created enough interferrence as to make the mag. be off in every noncardinal heading.
Others have had same problem with wingtip location and GRT advised me to move mine. Once in the fuse behind baggage compartment, they have been spot on.
I'd suspect a wiring problem .

Jerry,

I am thinking of not putting it out to the wing tip but around the first inspection panel on my right wing. If I can get inside with a 90 degree air drill to drill a couple holes for screws then it will sit there. I had the magnetometer sitting about four feet on the wing when I was testing the wiring and it showed an OK status. While I have the wires loose I could try it back in its original place and see what I get although I get tired taking all those screws on and off for access panels.

Back