- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2015, 04:52 PM

Lightbulb RV-7ForMe

Hello fellow builders,

This is my first post but I have been reading on here for the past few months.

I guess I should introduce myself. I am a kid from the 90’s and I have grown up around airplanes. I currently fly 172s and what can I say… I love them! They are good old birds.

I suppose that is what got me into this mess. I help out our A&P during annuals on the Cessna and I love it. There is so much to learn. I think it made me a better pilot. A few things I got quite early. Things always take about twice as long as expected and cost about three times as much.

I am pretty good with electronics and I do enjoy working with my hands. However, have no real skill set that applies to building airplanes. I guess the learning curve will be pretty steep

I made a few decisions thus far. I started looking at the RV-10. The perfect Travel Machine? Well, it is too expensive. I went back to VANS looking for some guidance.

I defined my mission: 2 seats, side-by-side, maybe a loop or two? Leaves me with the RV-7 and the RV-14. I like the plans of the -14 better but I can’t justify the added cost for better plans and a bit more room.

This WILL change, but I have a simple and cheap to operate RV7 in mind:
-O-320/O-360 with low compressions to use with unleaded fuel probably used.
-fixed pitch prop, I hear good things about Craig at Catto
-very simple VFR panel. 1 com, I like the look of steam gauges. Probably electric. whatever is a good bang for the buck at the time of finishing.
-some sort of engine monitor with 4 EGT/ CHT. I want to know if all are willing participants before take off
-2 axis AP
-TipUp

But this is all in the very distant future.

Looks like it is “RV7ForMe”

Last edited by RV7ForMe : 02-06-2017 at 06:58 AM.