What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Detect Problems

Teamfanok

Help! Ihave problems with Skyview detect. I go into detect page and Skyview detects no devices. I then use 9 pin wires supplied by Dynon and for instance go directly between Skyview and for examples the EMS module. Then thru setup Skyview detects the EMS modue. Then I reconnect Skyview thru RV12's harness and the EMS module works normally. So I fiquire that the wires are correct in RV12 wiring. Then I will go back into setup to detect other devices in network and the system again detects no devices. If I put 9 pin wires into the ADAHRS unit and go directly between SKYview and ADAHRS, the system then detects the module and then I hook up RV 12 wiring and system works. If I go back into setup, then detect other devices on network it shows no devices again. Called Vans and Dynon tech with no solutions from either.

Pulling out my hair and other Russians hair too.

Have you done the configuration step yet? I think you must do that first before they will detect them.
I am not sure as it has been a while since I installed mine.

Based on what you say, it kind of smells like the AV-5000A Control Module might be the culprit. Before you go much further, you might want to check if the Control Module is grounded properly. If I recal correctly, it receives ground throught its mounting screws, so make sure there is no primer under the screw heads. It's worth checking out before hammering further on Dynon or Van's.

Alex

Just in case - your master switch is on, right?
The avionics master also has to be on to power the transponder.
And the AP switch has to then also be on to, power the servos.

Jeff,
If you do a detect with the test harness and it works, then when you plug it in to the normal harness and it works, do you get an error about some wire connections being broken? This will show up in the message system as "network redundancy" and on the NETWORK STATUS page as specific broken wires.

There are two data pairs in the network cable. They can both be used to operate the device, but only one can be used to detect the device. So if the one pair is broken, you'll get your issue.

I assume in the plane the EMS LED is flashing. If that's true, it has power so you have to have a data issue. If the LED is flashing, the only thing you need to verify is that pins 1 and 6 make it properly between the EMS module and SkyView.

The switches are all on to power all the devices. This is what is so frustrating

To me (and I have experienced weird electrical problems with SkyView before) this seems to be another one of those bus errors that are caused by at least on failing device being on the bus and ruining it for all the other devices.
My suggestion is to start with the all devices are on situation, then switch one device off at a time and try to detect with SV again. Keep repeating switching devices off until you get a positive detection and then bring devices back on until you have identified the devices that cause the issue.
As to how to switch off devices, this might be a bit involved as they are not individually switched.

Back