What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue Mountain Avionics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ten4teg

Well Known Member
Will the Blue Mountain EFIS units with built-in WAAS GPS perform the same functions as a Garmin 430/530 i.e. com, nav, gps, approaches, etc.? Also, is it legal for IFR certification? I looked on their web site, but couldn't find this info. Thanks

Will the Blue Mountain EFIS units with built-in WAAS GPS perform the same functions as a Garmin 430/530 i.e. com, nav, gps, approaches, etc.? Also, is it legal for IFR certification? I looked on their web site, but couldn't find this info. Thanks

No,

No, &

No

Bill,

You can use the BMA EFIS for flight instruments in IFR legally http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/pdf/IFR%20equipment.pdf but I believe his question was can it perform the functions of a Garmin 430/530 com/nav/GPS approaches thus my answer is no.

Some reasons that come to mind are it has no com, no nav as in vor/ILS, no RAIM, no external anunciator, no scalability of the CDI, no approaches in the database.

Blue Mountain has often stated they will not pursue getting their GPS IFR approved.

From BMAs Q&As
Q: Is EFIS/One certified for GPS approaches?

On the advice of our most trusted avionics dealer and partner, we have decided not to pursue it. For what it will cost to do TSO C129A testing and certification, we'd have to raise the price of the EFIS by more than the cost of a high-volume certified unit. We think it's a better deal to have a reasonably priced glass cockpit, and the interconnect available for those who want to fly GPS approaches. If you have a certified GPS, you can plug it in to drive the flight director and autopilot in approach mode.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...91c85226f86256e35004c638b/$FILE/AC20-138A.pdf

Last edited:
Milt,

I was responding to just this question:
...Also, is it legal for IFR certification?...
I wasn't clear about the rest. Even with the research I did last week on the subject, there are a number of people who wouldn't go IFR with just a GPS driven EFIS, unless it was a G900 or greater.

Note, I'm not saying it is safe, smart, etc.; just legal based on my findings. Also, I'm not an attorney, FAA or EAA representative, etc. Each person will have to review the regs, etc. and make up their own mind.

BMA is only useful for IFR if you can see the road!

It is no less useful than a Dynon, GRT,AFS,Odyssey etc.

and it is just as, if not more, reliable than an engine driven dry vacuum pump and therefore the instruments that rely on same.

Lets not confuse BMAs business model with the quality of the product.

Milt,

I was responding to just this question:

I wasn't clear about the rest. Even with the research I did last week on the subject, there are a number of people who wouldn't go IFR with just a GPS driven EFIS, unless it was a G900 or greater.

Note, I'm not saying it is safe, smart, etc.; just legal based on my findings. Also, I'm not an attorney, FAA or EAA representative, etc. Each person will have to review the regs, etc. and make up their own mind.

But did you stay at a Holiday Inn express last night?:D

I have actually flown a good bit of IFR behind Gen 1, 3, an 4 BMA EFISs.

In my F1 I had a G1 EFIS1 with a G3 EFIS lite as a backup and in my current plane I have a G4 sport and G4 lite with a standard gyro artificial horizon as a backup.

100_0986_Small.jpg

The only EFIS failure I had was the EFIS one went TU once while updating the database and a static spark jumped from my hand to the card reader.

I did however have the standard gyro artificial horizon go TU during an IFR flight.

As in any ifr panel backups are necessary.

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree!

As far as the BMA by itselt?

Ditto on Milt's reply...it's pretty cut and dried from my perspective.

Cheers,
Stein

I have had direct experience with three airplane with the EFIS One system sold in the 2004-2006 time frame. After repeated updates, returns, phone calls, etc., none of these systems operate in a reliable manner. One is down now, not airworthy for VFR flight certainly not IFR flight, as I write and the current support, IMHO, is mirriors the quality of the three EFIS One systems I have experienced. Newer revision may have changed in Stein's perspective, but not in mine. BMA's products and support are not nearly as good or responsive as the other EFIS vendors(I've owned GRT and Dynon. AFS has outstanding customer service, as well).

Sorry, but ask offline. You will get the same story I've experienced. Not bashing, just facts from my experinces.

FWIW

huh???

I have had direct experience with three airplane with the EFIS One system sold in the 2004-2006 time frame. After repeated updates, returns, phone calls, etc., none of these systems operate in a reliable manner. One is down now, not airworthy for VFR flight certainly not IFR flight, as I write and the current support, IMHO, is mirriors the quality of the three EFIS One systems I have experienced. Newer revision may have changed in Stein's perspective, but not in mine. BMA's products and support are not nearly as good or responsive as the other EFIS vendors(I've owned GRT and Dynon. AFS has outstanding customer service, as well).

Sorry, but ask offline. You will get the same story I've experienced. Not bashing, just facts from my experinces.

FWIW

You lost me. Stein agreed with Milt on the No, No, & No. Which you also agreed with in the another post. But in this last post you respectfully disagree and go on to say how bad they are???? It sounded to me like Milt and Stein both answered the original question with those posts. :confused:

Seth,

I think Rob was just responding to the thread not necessarily to Stein. He was also relating first hand experience in response to one of mu queries.

1st hand experience is just that it is not vendor bashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back