VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-03-2018, 11:39 AM

Axel,

Your panel looks great! I can't wait to see a picture of it all lit up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Those "nuts" look like inserts used in injection molding... They give you a solid brass thread when molded into a plastic body. The knurling on the outside is to give good security in the plastic. Interesting application to use them as nuts to hold an instrument in place... The knurling is good for finger tightening too. Do they have a nylon insert or something for thread locking?
Those nuts are similar to what you describe but are designed for finger tight applications.

The back case in the EIC32 in Axel's panel is printed on (the front is injection molded) and we were afraid someone would over torque standard nuts and pull the threaded studs out of the plastic. That hasn't happened with these brass nuts, yet. A dab of Loctite can be used, but I'm not sure if it is necessary.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 09-04-2018, 04:08 PM

Default Wow, what a panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX-O View Post
CRYING DOES NOT HELP!

Since I am down doing changes and not flying, time to also get the avionic software upgraded and add ADS-B installed.

The first avionics upgrade is the new EICommander. A little bit of cleaning up on the existing panel hole, some lite sanding on the 3D printed instrument case and perfect fit. I lucked out on this one. There is about 1/16 inch between the face of the EICommander and the canopy bow. This will allow control of both PMAGs and provide feedback. Straight forward installation. It did come with a nut that I have never used before. I finger-tighten them. Installation should take no more than 2 hours. I got about 45 min in yesterday and all the wires are set up on the FWF side and ran into the aircraft.

Axel,
I have panel envy.
Daddyman