VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-30-2017, 08:49 PM

To get a better bond, just bond something to the back of the mirror that is the size of the entire mirror, then bond it to the pvc and It will hold better. Doing this you are contacting a much larger portion of the mirror back and it should hold. You could use some thin aluminum, or maybe some plastic sheet, etc.
Worth a try.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:34 PM

Default PVC U channel

While the 3D printing guys are working very hard to come up with a solution, I thought I'd try one more time for a PVC-based solution.

I saw, on Amazon, this product:

Universal Car Door Edge Guards Edge Trim 16-ft U Shape PVC 3-Color Options (Black)

Since it was PVC I thought there was some chance that it might glue solidly to a 1/8" thick PVC backing plate. So I got some.

I glued a piece of the U-channel to a scrap of PVC and let the glue set. Then I tried to remove the channel - it was stuck there really well. I got it off but some of the channel was left on the scrap PVC. So this looks good.

I cut out a backing plate very slightly larger than my test mirror, cut a piece of the U-channel, put a piece of wax paper on the back of the test mirror and slid the mirror edge (with the wax paper) into the channel.

The wax paper was to prevent any glue from sticking to the mirror.

Then I put a liberal amount of PVC glue on the edge of the backing plate.

Here is a photo of the bottom edge being glued on:

Here is a photo of the setup after the glue set with the rubber bands removed and the mirror partly slid out:

Now I need to locate a mounting ring to the backside of the backing plate. I found that if I used a combination of PVC glue and small screws the ring will stay stuck to a slab of PVC forever.

I'll show that in my next post.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

Default Two Mirror Backing Plates

Ok to today I fashioned a second style of backing plate for the Canopy Bow mirror. This one is of solid 1/8" thick PVC and has tabs which were heated and bent into place:

This shows the backing plate drawn out on the 1/8" thick PVC sheet. Holes were drilled in the corners so that there are no sharp corners:

The backing Plate is rough cut out of the sheet:

One by one the tabs were heated with a heat gun, folded over onto the practice mirror and clamped until cooled. Then I sawed off most of the tab so that there is just enough to hold the mirror. Here, two of the tabs are sawn:

Here is the finished backing plate (with tabs), a new mirror cut from the blank with it's protective plastic on, and the practice mirror I've been using:

The new mirror in the holder:

And here we have both backing plates: one with PVC U-channel at the bottom (new mirror installed) and the one with the tabs above it:

So tomorrow I take the backing plates and some mounting rings and mark the best location for the mounting rings onto the backs of the plates.

More later.
Old Today, 12:40 PM

Steve, is that a "head banger" in the case of a off-airport landing or a flip-over?
Old Today, 12:52 PM

probably, use at your own risk. It's for RV8. I posted this on the wrong thread. moving it.

Simplicity is the art in design.

Last edited by Steve Melton : Today at 12:54 PM.