What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Curved Roll Bar Cockpit Rear View Mirrors

N62XS

Well Known Member
In the 80s, when flying in USMC fighters, we had these curved rear view mirrors that mounted on the canopy bow frame, like the ones in these photos. Does anyone know where one can purchase either new or surplus?

Thanks,

Robby
s0953660pz.jpg
s0954072jv.jpg

Last edited:
More shots

OK RObby,
Here are some shots take from my cockpit. Look Closely at the views from both front and rear. It is very cool and my wife says "Makes me feel like Im up there with you like in the 6." She can see me, I can see her. And as a flight lead is is amazing. I can watch my wingman easily and keep an eye on things. In trail I can see ALL 3 planes behind me. Neat!
miror6.jpg

mirrir8.jpg

mirrir9.jpg

:cool:
Enjoy,

Autozone - which mirrors?!

OK Kahuna, I LOVE your mirrors, and since I pass an Autozone every day on the way to the airport, I pulled in to pick up a set today...and found that they have different ones for Ford,Chevy, Dodge, etc......each is sized and shaped a bit differnt. Who'd have thought they'd be that specific? :confused:

Being a natural tightwad, and not wanting to blow $7.99 on the wrong ones to fit in my -8, I figured I'd put off the instant gratification and ask if you remember which size you got? :)

Paul

Autozone Mirrors

I did not have this selection. I grabbed the ones that looked like they would work. Sorry but I have no idea what they were for. Kicking myself for not writing it down. Have had lots of requests off-line for the part number. I got no clue.

Oh and use velcro. I have already snagged one getting in and out and the velcro saved my mirror and probably my fibergalss strip over the windscreen.

Best,

Ford!

OK, I solved the mystery...printed out the pictures on Kahuna's site and took them to Autozone with me...matched them up by looking at the various shapes, and the ones for the Ford are what you have. (of course, I didn't save the part number on the bubble-pack, so don't ask...) I bought a set, and flew with them this morning, and you're right - they are GREAT!

Of course, I don't have anyone in teh back seat to look at yet, but still...very fighter-like...

Paul

Part Number

I picked up a couple of these today. AutoZone didn't have the Ford model but I found them at Pep Boys. For future reference, they are called "Blind Spotz", they are from CIPA Mirrors and the part number is #08910.

Maybe good for -6 or -7?

That could be just what I wanted for checking the controls for freedom before flight and verifying the position of the trip tab. I cannot see it with the canopy closed on my -7A. THANKS.

Back