I've been trying to make the canopy bow mirrors a la Bruce's technique and I keep running into failures.
The basic problem can be seen here:
Using the silicone adhesive to glue the PVC semi-circle to the back of the mirror as recommended, the connection fails. The problem is with the strength of the bond of the reflective layer to the acrylic - it's weak. You can see that the reflective stuff adheres to the PVC/silicone.
I need this bond to be very strong as I fly acro and I can't have the mirror falling off.
I'm trying to come up with alternatives. The only successful one so far can be seen here:
I took a piece of scrap PVC and cut it to the shape of the mirror but left 1/2" tabs on the PVC. I then hit them with a heat gun and bent them over the mirror, clamped them lightly, and let them cool and set. I then cut them back so that they don't cover so much of the mirror.
They grip the mirror quite well.
So failing other possibilities I will use this technique to mount the mirror to a PVC backing plate holder the exact size and shape of the mirror. Then I'll use PVC cement to glue the semi-circle to the back of the backing plate. That will be strong enough. I think the mirror curvature is a circle but I'll verify that. if it is then sliding replacement mirrors in and out will be possible.
I tried gluing some vinyl wire cove to the scrap PVC but that failed - PVC glue didn't grip the vinyl. I'm thinking of trying some automobile door edge guard made from PVC - gluing that to the edge of the PVC backing plate along the top and bottom edge. That would be a better looking solution *IF* the PVC cement actually glues them together.