What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Number of rivets in RV-7,8,9

Hi

ever since I started building, people that know of this inevitable ask me how many rivet this aircraft has.

Experienced something similar?
Does someone even have a number?

Just curious,

Thomas

I'm dimpling the right wing on my 6 now. With the fuel tank I think that there's somewhere around 1500 rivets on the one wing.

Chad Jensen's numbers off his website. WOW!!!!

"Total rivets including factory set (wings & center section) 16,229

Total rivets set (including drilled out) 16,018

Total rivets set (without drilled out) 15,808

Total drilled 210

Percent set right the first time... 99%"

thing is... not the number of rivets you have to set matters at all. more important is number of problems/questions you face during the project. could be close to 16k. :D

more important is number of problems/questions you face during the project. could be close to 16k. :D

Ah, like tonight when just about every rivet turned out to be a problem. I'm well on my way to that 210 figure. :rolleyes:

I paid little attention when I built the -6A but my curiosity is up now that I'm on the -10. My log keeps a cumulative total of the rivets, except for ones drilled and reset. Nor will it be official because some rivets will be for modifications, such as the 24V battery mount. But I'm doing it for fun, not as a compulsion.

Having said that, now I'll shake the OCD tree a little: how many screws are in your RVs?:D

Rivet counting pays off!

I just pulled the wing spars out of the box and so the first thing I went to do was count the rivets to add to my build log (no, I'm not taking credit for them, I count factory-set rivets separately). Imagine my surprise when I found one that apparently is missing. I've got an email out to Van's to be sure, but I'm glad I caught it now rather than later. Not that I wouldn't have caught it even if I wasn't counting rivets. Just sayin'.

FP28022011A00010.jpg

Chad Jensen's numbers off his website. WOW!!!!

"Total rivets including factory set (wings & center section) 16,229

Total rivets set (including drilled out) 16,018

Total rivets set (without drilled out) 15,808

Total drilled 210

Percent set right the first time... 99%"

210 rivets drilled out Chad?

When I saw a bad rivet I just threw it in the trash so I wouldn't have to drill it out later! That saved me ALOTTA TIME!

Casey, Thanks for pointing this one out!

;) CJ

Back