What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mindless Trivia

Rick6a

Well Known Member
Yesterday, I chose to assemble the passenger seat. My pneumatic alligator squeezer is the last tool I'd ever give up! :D Anyway, when completed I was curious as to the actual number of rivets in the assembly as shown AND its total weight measured by postal scale. How many rivets do you think it contains? How heavy is it? Before you click to see the answers, try to guess what the numbers actually are.

errata14515hi8.jpg

my.php

Alligator squeezer

Rick, why do you like the alligator squeezer so much? It seems like it's much harder to get the right setting as it is not adjustable like the other pneumatic type. I have both and never use the alligator. Maybe I just got frustrated early with all the set heights and shims needed, or am I just missing something?
I can see that once it's set for a particular rivet height, you can run it all day but when you get to a rivet that's shorter or longer, you need to change either the set or shims or both.

captainron said:
Rick, why do you like the alligator squeezer so much? It seems like it's much harder to get the right setting as it is not adjustable like the other pneumatic type. I have both and never use the alligator. Maybe I just got frustrated early with all the set heights and shims needed, or am I just missing something?
I can see that once it's set for a particular rivet height, you can run it all day but when you get to a rivet that's shorter or longer, you need to change either the set or shims or both.
Ron,

I too possess the "C" type pneumatic squeezer and the alligator. I have used both types of squeezers not just extensively, but very extensively over the years. My alligator has a deepish throat, unlike the much more common type of alligator that sports a small and limited depth throat. Throat depth means everything. As far as handling goes, the alligator is more ergonomically confortable to use and easily reaches any number of riveting scenarios that the "C" squeezer cannot. The first photo illustrates a typical situation that I am talking about. Why? Because in this situation using a "C", you must approach the rivets with the squeezer held in the vertical position and as often as not, the squeezers' own housing will conflict with the assembly, making it impossible to use. The only time I use my (double piston) "C" type is when I need the extra horsepower to squeeze 3/16" rivets. Other than that, my smaller pneumatic "C" squeezer is used only infrequently......maybe 5% of the time. In a real time apples to apples comparison of speed, my alligator will squeeze 100 rivets or dimple 100 holes in significantly less time and using less effort than a comparable "C". Setting it up to squeeze a given rivet length is quick and easy...you just add or subtract a given number of thick and/or thin stainless steel washers used as shims. The second photo illustrates shims stacked under the dimpling set. The photo also illustates how easy it is to approach the job. Both sides of this aileron skin can be dimpled while sitting in my chair using a minimum of motion by simply moving the skin to the edge of the table. Using a "C" squeezer will certainly work in this situation, but it is a virtual certainty that you will have to reposition the skin frequently to accomodate the squeezer......sort of like the tail wagging the dog. Many people complain that the alligator is too this or too that. That may be if you are talking about a small throated alligator. But the fact is, in the production environment I came from, most workers almost always preferred to use the alligator when given the choice because of the reasons I have outlined. If the alligator had the bad rap that many homebuilders attribute to it, it would have been banned from the production environment years ago and that is simply not the case. Far from it.

Ron...That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D
technique0240ay2.jpg
ailerons03615it0.jpg

The enclosed 1 minute video shows me re-dimpling (for illustration purposes only) an RV component found in the empennage group. I really don't think your average pneumatic "C" squeeze proponent is going to compete with me and my alligator squeezer in any dimpling or riveting competition and expect to win. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR2giHt2Mi0

Last edited:
Alligator squeezer

Rick, thanks for taking the time to write back. It looks like your squeezer has the 2 1/4" jaws; mine has the 1 1/2". I'm sure yours is more versatile in most applications. I never bought the "bent rivet" theory with the alligators, as the rivet is being squeezed only in the last bit of travel when the jaws and sets are parallel anyway. My riveter is the short body model, and I'm not sure if it will accept the longer jaws and still have enough power to squeeze 4's. It would probably be OK with 3's, though.

I guessed 87 rivets and 3 lbs. ( you wasted 16 rivets somewhere.) :)

I was messing with that rear seat also. And the front.

I ordered some RV-7 seat back material and we're going to try to make a larger front seat fit. (rv-4 orig.) I'm not sure what the problems will be. back seater feet-- less room etc.

041807007mu9.jpg

As I look at these simple pieces I wonder how much of a demand there might be for preformed carbon fiber substitutes.

I'm always trying to figure out how to shed an extra pound here and there.

Back