What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

dual controls

I'm New Here
i need guidence on installing rear controls in a completed rv-4. I know this has been done with some success by someone and i am trying not to reinvent the wheel, just inprove it. Thanks Russell

21779 said:
i need guidence on installing rear controls in a completed rv-4. I know this has been done with some success by someone and i am trying not to reinvent the wheel, just inprove it. Thanks Russell

Van sells a back seat throttle (no mixture/prop) and rudder (no brakes) pedals. The rudder pedals work but PAX have complained to me that it is hard to taxi. PAX have also complained that visibility as horrible in back on final...

Hi Russell
This is the quadrant that I installed in the rear seat of my -4

00002281yd.jpg

I used 1/4" 4130 tubes and rod end bearings from McMaster Carr to make the connection. The wear block are made from phenolic

00002270vq.jpg

very neat instillation, what did you use for the throttle quadrant. I would like pic or drawings of others ideas also. I am looking for options and ideas. Want to try to do it once. thanks russell

Quadrants

Hi Russell

I used SMCT2L quadrants from DJM Mfg Inc.They are avaible from Aircraft Spruce and direct from DJM Mfg.

Dayton Murdock said:
Hi Russell

I used SMCT2L quadrants from DJM Mfg Inc.They are avaible from Aircraft Spruce and direct from DJM Mfg.

Dayton,
How is the rear quadrant secured to the cockpit side skin? Is there a doubler or reinforcing piece of some sort? Could you send another photo to show how this is attached?
Charlie Kuss

Quadrant mount

Hi Charlie
This is the only image that I have of the quadrant mount. I made a hat section and rivited it to the side skin. Before doing that I installed some nut plates to the inside of the hat section so I could bolt the quadrant to the the hat section.
I hope this answers your question. Best of luck

0000213yo0.jpg

the red button

Dayton,

I am interested in the red button on the throttle handle end. Is it for the starter? I am using the deluxe quadrant from Vans, and would love to have the starter button on the end of the throttle handle.

I think the quadrant you have is made by the same people who make the deluxe quadrant that Vans sells and that I am now installing in my 8A. Do you know where I can acquire on of those red buttons and whether it will fit the deluxe quandrant?

Thanks,

Tony

Dayton Murdock said:
Hi Charlie
This is the only image that I have of the quadrant mount. I made a hat section and rivited it to the side skin. Before doing that I installed some nut plates to the inside of the hat section so I could bolt the quadrant to the the hat section.
I hope this answers your question. Best of luck

Dayton,
Actually, I was referring to how you mounted the REAR quadrant. Does it use the same type of hat section as a mount?
Charlie

Quadrant mount

Yes Charlie
The front and rear quadrants are mounted with the same type of hat section.

Tony
I produce the quadrants for Van's ( check my web site) the red button is a PTT button. When I am in the pattern my trim and flaps are in the grip and I can transmit with the throttle handle.

Dayton Murdock said:
I produce the quadrants for Van's ( check my web site) the red button is a PTT button. When I am in the pattern my trim and flaps are in the grip and I can transmit with the throttle handle.

I'd like to put a button on my Model: CT83F throttle quadrant for my RV-8.
Can you tell us where you got the red button, and if it will fit the CT83F ?

Button & Rudders

Hi Dave
I have a handfull of buttons in my shop. Send me your address and I will send one out to you.

Russell

Here is a pic of my rudder set up, I haven't installed them yet.

brakeassy2iu.png

Back