What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing riveting sequence

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
I am getting closer to the stage of final rivetting of the first wing and have decided on the following sequence as I am working alone and want to maximise what can be done with my pneumatic squeezer. Appreciate any feedback on this proposed sequence:
1. Leading edge (on bench, landing light installed)
2. Leading edge to spar (can squeeze the spar rivets top and bottom)
3. Top skins
4. Flap hinge brace and aileron gap seal
5. Bottom skins

Associated question, does autopilot servo choice need to be made (and installed) prior to closing up the wing?

Roll servo install

I installed the TT roll servo in my right wing prior to riveting the bottom skins on. I hear it can be installed later, but I think it would be best if installed during construction of the wing. Although the servo can be mounted through the inspection hole without too much trouble, routing the wiring becomes more difficult after the skins are on.

I would at least install the wiring harness in the wing before riveting the bottom skins on.

Bryon

I installed the servo AFTER my wing was finished. You don't have to do anything now. In the case of TT it's utterly simple to install it later. Run your conduit in your wing, pull some string through and don't sweat a thing.

Back