What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Connecting male & female D-sub connectors

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,
I'm trying to connect a male and a female D-sub connector together. I purchased a set of screw locks, but I can't seem to figure out how to install the parts to make it work. Can anyone please tell me how to put the connectors together or show me a picture.

Thanks,
Jerry

I guess your question is that you have two d-sub blocks and they both have the little retainer screws and you want to connect them together, right? I dug through my parts bag of PC hardware and found elongated hex nuts that I just put between them and threaded the retainer screws into them. I assume you can buy these nuts at Fry's, Radio Shack, etc. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Quick and dirty connection

I didn't trust the screw-together connection so in a couple places I just ran safety wire through the holes. Very quick and easy and it WON'T come apart!

Bob Kelly

I have about seven or eight DB connectors "in line" that I have to mate/demate to remove my panel. I use those elongated nuts that were mentioned above by Jamie - we have a local electornic parts surplus place, and they have bins of them. They seem to hold really well. I hadn't thought of using safety wire - neat idea! I don't think I'd want to use it with lots of connectors, as I'd end up with lots of little bits everytime I removed a connector, but I'm going to remember that for a few other places in the airplane that rarely get disturbed or inspected.

Paul

Hello Guys,
Thanks for all of your replies. I finally found some of those elongated nut things in the Mouser catalog. Thanks for all your help,

Jerry

Back