What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mel question about AW inspection and OP lims

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I am about to take my project to the airport. The Illinois FSDO WAS SURPRISINGLY CORDIAL ABOUT HELPING WITH PAPERWORK AND AW INSPECTION. Myquestion is, if I cannot finish Phase1 before some unknown life event would force the sale of the airplane, what would be required of a new owner to continue phase 1 ?
Could a ferry permit be obtainable ?
Is a new AW inspection required ?
who could amend the OPLIMS ?

my concern is it might be smarter to sell the plane before AW Inspection if a relocation for new owner is too impractical 😒

I am about to take my project to the airport. The Illinois FSDO WAS SURPRISINGLY CORDIAL ABOUT HELPING WITH PAPERWORK AND AW INSPECTION. Myquestion is, if I cannot finish Phase1 before some unknown life event would force the sale of the airplane, what would be required of a new owner to continue phase 1 ?
Could a ferry permit be obtainable ?
Is a new AW inspection required ?
who could amend the OPLIMS ?
my concern is it might be smarter to sell the plane before AW Inspection if a relocation for new owner is too impractical 😒
The Op Lims don't change because of a sale. The new owner can continue phase I per the Op Lims.
A ferry permit may be obtained depending on at what point the aircraft is in the testing phase and how far the aircraft needs to move.
The FAA or a DAR can amend the Op Lims. If the aircraft needs to move a great distance within phase I, a ferry permit is not likely, especially if it is early in the testing stage.

Under normal circumstances a new A/W inspection would not be required.

If it is moved outside the assigned test area it is a simple matter to get with a local DAR or the responsible FSDO and get a new test area approved. Sometimes you can get a permit to fly it to the new location if some testing has been completed. I've done a few where they were allowed to be moved after 5 hours of testing was completed. The route had to be over unpopulated areas and DAY VFR only.

Vic

Back