What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wilksch diesel / RV-9 update

kgood

Well Known Member
Hello,
Just letting you know that I now have 252 hours on my RV9 / WAM120 diesel. I have had zero problems with this engine / MT prop combination. Other than normal maintenance, and a few factory SB's, all I've had to do is put fuel in it and fly it.

I've flown it non-stop as far as Eugene, OR, on 24 gal fuel, almost the full length of the Baja Peninsula in Mexico, and all over Nevada, CA, UT and AZ.

I'm very happy with my little diesel. I mostly run diesel fuel, which saves me a lot of $$$ (in winter, I run Jet A). I have yet to find an airport that doesn't have Jet A available.

I've had a couple of interesting experiences: I had the lineman in Provo Utah fill me up with Jet A. I walked into MillionAire, the FBO, to use the restroom. As I came out, I saw the manager running out to the ramp in a panic. I ran out and asked him what the problem was, and he said he had seen the Jet A truck filling my RV, and had thought they were filling it with the wrong fuel. In Loreto, Mexico, I had a heck of a time convincing the fuel guys to sell me Jet fuel. They finally had to bring out the big semi truck that they fuel the big jets with! They had to rig up a funnel because the nozzle was twice as big as my fuel inlet.

As for Wilksch Airmotive, they have been very supportive and professional. Parts availability has not been a problem. They are still testing the newer 140 hp version, which is a larger bore version of the current one, with some improvements. I look forward to having one - the extra HP will be nice, although the current 120 hp has been more than adequate.

Kurt Goodfellow
RV9 / WAM 120 Diesel, flying since 2008.

Sig, you're all set...

"The company, founded in 1994, manufacture two-stroke compression ignition engines. An 80 horse-power version became the first two-stroke diesel aircraft engine to fly in over 50 years after its maiden flight in a Piper J-3 on 21 November 1997. This was developed into a three cylinder design which now offers 100 and 120hp versions. Design has been done on a 4 cylinder version which should offer 160-190 hp."

http://wilksch.net/

Jack

Thanks for the update! That is great news and I look forward to hearing how the "big" engine works for you.

Good to hear things are still working well Kurt.

When you say parts availability has been fine, does that mean you have had to replace anything?

Jack, any idea how close they are to releasing the big one?

How hard is it to redesign the fuel system?

Big One

Hi

Dont expect to see the four cylinder version anytime soon, we have been waiting on the uprated 120 for over 18 months. I spoke to the factory a few days ago and they are not expecting to release it soon but may start test flying the 140 hp in their Thorpe soon.

Development work is very slow unfortunately. The current engine is robust and has only had a couple of AD's. Its more than adequate for an RV9 we get good performance from ours.

WAM 120 parts avail

Ross,
The only parts I've had to replace are normal service items (oil, filters, etc. WAM wants us only to use their items), a power lever arm (my own fault), an alternator (again my own fault - not enough cooling air to the original), and some turbo pipe fixtures for my own experimentation to cut down on air inlet/outlet sizes. There have also been a couple of AD's, and parts have come professionally packaged in a timely manner.

It's fortunate that WAM's owners are committed to the project; they must see a future in JetA piston engines.

Kurt

You're right....

So..... why don't you increase the size of your fuel inlet and label it for diesel or jet A only??

....I did label the inlets "Jet Fuel Only", to keep anyone from making a mistake. But I have not increased the inlet size because it really hasn't been an issue until Mexico. All of the FBO's that have fueled me so far have adapters on their trucks - no big deal. But, a larger inlet would be the best thing to do.

Kurt

Ross,
The only parts I've had to replace are normal service items (oil, filters, etc. WAM wants us only to use their items), a power lever arm (my own fault), an alternator (again my own fault - not enough cooling air to the original), and some turbo pipe fixtures for my own experimentation to cut down on air inlet/outlet sizes. There have also been a couple of AD's, and parts have come professionally packaged in a timely manner.

It's fortunate that WAM's owners are committed to the project; they must see a future in JetA piston engines.

Kurt

I see. They want to take no chances with an aftermarket filter or something similar. Same as most OEMs. Can't blame them and sounds like you are happy with their service. I think many people were afraid of that aspect and adopting a wait and see attitude. Good update and good on the factory for doing things right.:)

Back