What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving an RV-6

Humrnv

My RV-6 is down getting the engine overhauled and new panel being done. I have since moved about 4 1/2 hours away for a new job since this has started. I’m looking for a hangar closer to me so my thoughts was to remove the wings and use a 26’ Uhaul to move it. I’ve done this with other planes but never an RV. Will this work and any thing I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance
Ken

My RV-6 is down getting the engine overhauled and new panel being done. I have since moved about 4 1/2 hours away for a new job since this has started. I’m looking for a hangar closer to me so my thoughts was to remove the wings and use a 26’ Uhaul to move it. I’ve done this with other planes but never an RV. Will this work and any thing I need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance
Ken
Should not be a problem. I've moved an RV-6 in a 21' rent truck from Kansas to Texas and it was a bit tight, but a 26' should give you plenty of room. Just use lots of moving blankets.

Use a powered ratchet, have some cushions to kneel on, a few brass bars to ease out the bolts and a brass end for your rivet gun.
The wings are not heavy but 3 people makes removing them easier. Have some stands nearby to rest them on. It will take most of a day...

Any tips on removing the wings?
Pretty simple on a -6. Drain fuel, disconnect fuel lines, remove pushrods, wiring, and bolts (Lots of bolts) and pull. Minimum of 3 people.

This is all assuming it is a -6 and not a -6A. RV-6A is a totally different story!

Last edited:
Pretty simple on a -6. Drain fuel, disconnect fuel lines, remove pushrods, wiring, and bolts (Lots of bolts) and pull. Minimum of 3 people.

This is all assuming it is a -6 and not a -6A. RV-6A is a totally different story!
Do not forget that there are #8 countersunk SCREWS under the wing / fuselage that must be removed before you can pull the wing spar out of the fuselage.

Good time to check and make sure you have the break away slot mod in the front tank bracket. If not, it’s easy to do while wings are off. Same for the fuel pick up anti-rotation bracket.
Both are SB’s you can download from Vans.

In a situation like this, I'd be tempted to leave the aircraft assembled, and take a weekend or two at the remote site to reinstall the engine once it is ready. Pulling and reinstalling the wings on a -6 is a lot of work. Then you're talking about transporting it 4.5 hours. Uggh.

In a situation like this, I'd be tempted to leave the aircraft assembled, and take a weekend or two at the remote site to reinstall the engine once it is ready. Pulling and reinstalling the wings on a -6 is a lot of work. Then you're talking about transporting it 4.5 hours. Uggh.
True but I’m installing a new panel and doing the overhaul also. So having it closer would be much easier to do

Good time to check and make sure you have the break away slot mod in the front tank bracket. If not, it’s easy to do while wings are off. Same for the fuel pick up anti-rotation bracket.
Both are SB’s you can download from Vans.
I will double check those. I do believe they are ale accomplished

The tail wheel bracket is attached through the vertical stabilizer rear spar and this provides strength, therefore the VS should be installed if there is going to be any load on the tail wheel. Moreover, the VS fwd spar is attached to the horizontal stabilizer, so that needs to be installed too.

It’s a high risk operation in my opinion. Damage is likely unless you have a very experienced crew of volunteers to assist and one who has actually built an RV6.

True but I’m installing a new panel and doing the overhaul also. So having it closer would be much easier to do
Is it worth leaving the old panel in the airplane, reinstalling the engine, and flying it to your new location to install the new panel? I'm lazy and the idea of pulling the wings on my -6 is a nightmare.

Back