What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mistral engines

That is impressive. The muffler is seriously big. Necessary with a powerful Wankel engine, I imagine.

RV-10 w/Mistral

Do you by chance have web site where we can go and see more pictures of your installation? It's always fun to see how others have fabbed their radiators, intake (not an issue for you :)), and exhaust system.

You must be seeking a super quiet operation with it since that turbo should really take much of the "bark" out of it before even hitting the muffler.

Have you weighed it yet and do you have a FWF weight as it hangs on the firewall?

Look forward to seeing and hearing more about it!

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A; 13B FWF

I am still in contact with people that used to work there, so I get a little support. I'm really greatful that they take the time to help out in their spare time.

I still hope somebody picks up mistral, it's a great engine.

Havn't weighed it yet, might be a bit heavier that standard RV10 but we'll se.

There are a few pic's at my homepage www.rv10.dk but not many of the engine installation, havn't gotten around to updating the homepage for quite some time.

We don't have the turboversion.

Palle

Very Nice...

Congrats. Your installation looks great. I am looking forward to starting my Mazda Renesis RV7 soon. I hope it goes as well as your first start. I like the nice smooth sound. Keep us posted.

So cool to see any RV in Denmark. My dad was from N?rre ?by, my mother from Svendborg. They paved the way for my building an RV-7 here in California.

Nice install

Palle,
Plane looks beautiful, and the engine seems to run VERY well. Obviously no starting issues. Did Mistral include a second order damper in their package? The 3 rotor can use a very small damper for second order tortional vibrations. The size is something that will fit into the crankshaft pulley. It will run fine without it,but will be even smoother with one. PowerSport (the original) planned to use one. I Love the Mistral engine package it is superbly engineered. I think you will have very good results with it. Did you go with a hydraulic or electric MT prop? It seems to be a hyd/cs from the video. I am saddened that Mistral didn't sell parts to homebuilders as they could have had some income rather than trying to do the certification. A lower cost non-certified version would have done great things for their bottom line. To add to the list of requests, please do show the install as much and often as you can!
Bill Jepson

Last edited:
Very Nice Mistral G300 Rotary engine

Whom can I call to get technical support and to buy one of these Mistral engines?

Does this company still exist? all of their phone numbers stopped working.

Are you using auto gas? or?

Your help is much appreciated.

I can be reached @ [email protected]

818-399-2249

demise of Mistral

Sadly the demise of Mistral is/was predictable when you saw their pricing.
Their work was first rate. I would love to see the principles release the very
well made PSRU to someone to produce. Mechanically the unit was excellent.
They spent too much and the current climate didn't need another 30k engine
no mater how good or bad it might be. Sad because everything pointed to it
being good.
Bill Jepson

Hi all

We just had first running test of our 300Hp mistral rotary in our RV10.

I have posted a video on youtube, go check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoAmmzP12WQ

Palle

Looks great. The secret to a quiet rotary engine with out adding a lot of drag
is use a longer modest diameter 4 or 5 inch custom SS316 muffler . Stock automotive
mufflers are not up the 1700 F exhaust temps and could melt and plug up
the muffler and cause a crash. Has happened already.

Paul Lamar rotaryeng.net

Hi all

We just had first running test of our 300Hp mistral rotary in our RV10.

I have posted a video on youtube, go check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoAmmzP12WQ

Palle

Whom can I call to get technical support and to buy one of these Mistral engines?

Does this company still exist? all of their phone numbers stopped working.

Are you using auto gas? or?

Your help is much appreciated.

I can be reached @ [email protected]

818-399-2249

As far as I know they are no longer selling engines or parts but they are back in
biz. The engine is more or less a stock Mazda 20B 3 rotor with a custom intake manifold
and custom muffler. The same engine is used in a Rolex GT racing Mazda RX8.

Paul Lamar rotaryeng.net

Back