What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mazda 13B Progress in 9A

dlomheim

Well Known Member
I finally made some progress on my engine yesterday when a buddy came out and TIGed up my exhaust manifold. Will need to add some external bracing to help carry the load (w/the manifold) and turn it down with to 90 degree pieces and run it down the middle of the fuselage to a muffler (type TBD).

Doug Lomheim
OK City, OK
RV9A #116

Exhaust%20Welded.jpg

Slow but steady progress Doug - slow but steady! Maybe you need to sneak up to OSH this year to get fired up - we'd love to see you there.

Paul

Good to see you are still progressing Doug. It's a long grind to do something like this.

What material and wall thickness are you using for the exhaust here?

Looks good! You should be getting close to an engine start.

My friend Ed Anderson placed his exhaust ports straight down on his -6A to make installing the exhaust easier.

Exhaust Progress

What material and wall thickness are you using for the exhaust here?

Ross: I should have known that question would come up, and I should know the answer right off the bat; but I bought the pieces about five years ago and I've slept since then! I'll look tomorrow at my receipts, but it's definitely overkill on the wall thickness and therefore the weight. I think it was something like .115??? and 304 stainless as used by some guys from our Rotary Newsgroup who have been flying for a number of years without issues. I am sort of viewing this a way to get off the ground with a very robust system that I won't have to mess with for a while; but with the expectation of fabricating a better and lighter system in the future...
Doug

Ed Anderson Plugs Up

Looks good! You should be getting close to an engine start. My friend Ed Anderson placed his exhaust ports straight down on his -6A to make installing the exhaust easier.

Bill: I have seen Ed's RV-6 at numerous Alternative Engine get togethers and his method really does make the exhaust installation a lot easier!

Doug

Doug it's time to wrap it up and go flying. Do you see how many 9s are recently completed? Pick up the speed I love First Flight Parties.

Friend of mine ran a 13B in an RV6 for 350 Hrs. Best radiator setup was two air conditioning radiators installed in series one in each inlet, standard cowl.

Doug it's time to wrap it up and go flying. Do you see how many 9s are recently completed? Pick up the speed I love First Flight Parties.
Well, to be fair, he did get in .8 hours with me on Saturday before welding the exhaust mentioned above.

Well, to be fair, he did get in .8 hours with me on Saturday before welding the exhaust mentioned above.

Tssssss Steve. I am trying to lure him to a party we have something to talk about ;). We were at different side of the fence last century. Really close to each other :D

Back