Desert Rat

Well Known Member
I already have an A&P, so what is the pro/con calculus on getting the repairman certificate for my chariot as well? Other than adding to my plastic card collection, can anybody think of some benefit?

I already have an A&P, so what is the pro/con calculus on getting the repairman certificate for my chariot as well? Other than adding to my plastic card collection, can anybody think of some benefit?
No benefit at all. Some people think that if something goes wrong and you're doing the inspection under your repairman cert that it will protect your A&P cert.

IT WON'T!

My FSDO told me that once I had my A&P, that OKC wouldn’t issue me any additional Repairman Certificates…but I never went to look for that in the guidance docs…..

I would think your plane would have a higher resale if the repairmen cert was still available for it. There's no 51% rule tied to the RC, just to the amateur home built AWC. If you don't get the RC issued, the next buyer could conceivably get it instead, which would increase the value in my mind.

I would think your plane would have a higher resale if the repairmen cert was still available for it. There's no 51% rule tied to the RC, just to the amateur home built AWC. If you don't get the RC issued, the next buyer could conceivably get it instead, which would increase the value in my mind.
Only if you decide to not be truthful about who built the airplane.

You may obtain a repairman certificate for your own amateur-built aircraft if you built the major portion of the aircraft. The only privilege this certificate gives you is contained in 14 CFR section 65.104, "Repairman Certificate - experimental aircraft builder - Eligibility, privileges and limitations", i.e., to do the annual condition inspection.

The privileges and limitations for repairmen are in 14 CFR section 65.103, "Repairman certificate: Privileges and limitations". To obtain a certificate, apply through your local FAA Flight Standards District Office.

You may obtain a repairman certificate for your own amateur-built aircraft if you built the major portion of the aircraft. The only privilege this certificate gives you is contained in 14 CFR section 65.104, "Repairman Certificate - experimental aircraft builder - Eligibility, privileges and limitations", i.e., to do the annual condition inspection.

The privileges and limitations for repairmen are in 14 CFR section 65.103, "Repairman certificate: Privileges and limitations". To obtain a certificate, apply through your local FAA Flight Standards District Office
I stand corrected. It does say "be the primary builder". I forgot about that part.

Yes, I can think of a benefit and the reason I want one (in addition to my Mechanic’s Cert) for my homebuilt: It would be the only certificate I hold which doesn’t have a currency requirement. When you get a plastic card collection in becomes a PITA meeting all the currency requirements. My FSDO didn’t tell me I couldn’t get one, they just told me I don’t need one and ignore my requests.

The privileges and limitations for repairmen are in 14 CFR section 65.103, "Repairman certificate: Privileges and limitations". To obtain a certificate, apply through your local FAA Flight Standards District Office.
I don’t think you have to have built the major portion, but rather, you (singular), or you, working with other amateur builders, must have built the 51%…. E.g., you may have had unpaid partners. But only one repairman certificate per airplane.

I don’t think you have to have built the major portion, but rather, you (singular), or you, working with other amateur builders, must have built the 51%…. E.g., you may have had unpaid partners. But only one repairman certificate per airplane.
Straight quote from the FAA. Doesn't matter what "we think". 😜

May I obtain a repairman certificate for my own amateur-built aircraft?

I began my build with the intention of obtaining the Repairman Certificate to lower the cost of flying and maintenance. Along the way, I obtained an A&P but still applied for the Repairman Certificate. The FSDO informed me that I didn't "need" the Repairman Certificate but I explained that it was the culmination of the original goal of building the aircraft so I was approved for it with very little digging through my build log.

If you are an A&P but don’t have a RC for your EAB, can you sign off the condition inspection or does it require an IA?

If you are an A&P but don’t have a RC for your EAB, can you sign off the condition inspection or does it require an IA?
Yes. Condition Inspections for E-AB aircraft don't require an IA sign off, just vanilla A & P or the holder of the Repairman's Cert for that airframe.

Straight quote from the FAA. Doesn't matter what "we think". 😜

May I obtain a repairman certificate for my own amateur-built aircraft?

I stand corrected. It does say "be the primary builder". I forgot about that part.
Just a nit. Primary builder is essentially a self-designated appellation. When submitting the FAA Form 8130-12, Eligibility Statement Amateur-Built Aircraft, the builder or builders are listed attesting they followed the major portion rule in part 21. A sole builder is by default the primary builder. In a group build all of the builders listed on the 8130-12 are considered primary builders regardless of how much they contributed to the actual build. All that matters is they are listed as a builder and collectively the group completed at least the major portion (aka 51%) of the fabrication and assembly of the project. At that point anyone, but just one, in the group can apply for and obtain the Repairman's Cert for that aircraft.

Just a nit. Primary builder is essentially a self-designated appellation. When submitting the FAA Form 8130-12, Eligibility Statement Amateur-Built Aircraft, the builder or builders are listed attesting they followed the major portion rule in part 21. A sole builder is by default the primary builder. In a group build all of the builders listed on the 8130-12 are considered primary builders regardless of how much they contributed to the actual build. All that matters is they are listed as a builder and collectively the group completed at least the major portion (aka 51%) of the fabrication and assembly of the project. At that point anyone, but just one, in the group can apply for and obtain the Repairman's Cert for that aircraft.
Very good, and accurate explanation.

My RV-6 made first flight in September 1997. I never applied for the Repairman Certificate.

This thread is maybe the 3rd time that I have even thought about me having a Repairman Certificate. My A&P Certificate has more worth to me.

I began my build with the intention of obtaining the Repairman Certificate to lower the cost of flying and maintenance. Along the way, I obtained an A&P but still applied for the Repairman Certificate. The FSDO informed me that I didn't "need" the Repairman Certificate but I explained that it was the culmination of the original goal of building the aircraft so I was approved for it with very little digging through my build log.
Same for me. The FSDO inspector saw the form and noted I had an A&P so didn't need it. I just said I'd like it anyway. No problem he said as he signed it. Just a psychological thing after 19 years of building I guess.

I just read this at EAA webiste, here's the link, for refence.

I have an A&P, should I bother applying for the Repairman Certificate on the plane I'm building?
Yes! That way if you allow your A&P license to lapse, you will still be able to inspect and sign off the condition inspection of your homebuilt.

Ah, I'm dead certain this has come up before, but why not...? Does the A&P have to be *current*? The Ops Lims say

26. An experimental aircraft builder certificated as a repairman for this aircraft under FAR 65.104 or an appropriately rated FAA-certificated mechanic may perform the condition inspection required by these operating limitations.

Assuming that an A&P is an appropriate rating (let's stipulate to that, to use lawyer-talk). All it says is he has to hold the certificate. Not that it has to be current.

If you built an EAB you get the repairman free. Just apply. Take the 5 min. If you keep plane and don't renew A&P... (if you exercise A&P privileges it has to be valid. Yes. Same w/ Pilot cert for life. Usless w/o medical and flight review w/i 2 yrs.)

If E-LSA i) requires a 2 day $450 class. Makes no sense for A&P. You can always get it later. No need to have built the E-LSA, only only own it, not tied to one plane like EAB.

I was thinking that if I hold the repairman's certificate for my airplane and I sold the aircraft to another, then I could sign off on the airplanes annual inspection, if they were not too far away or if they wanted me too. I am not sure if I could charge for the inspection or trade or free?

I was thinking that if I hold the repairman's certificate for my airplane and I sold the aircraft to another, then I could sign off on the airplanes annual inspection, if they were not too far away or if they wanted me too. I am not sure if I could charge for the inspection or trade or free?
The charging is interesting question. Don't know. Find out let us know.

I will say you build an RV (except RV-12iS) and not an A&P of course get repairman. The idea of doing 12mo condition inspections for new owner if you sell your RV, that you built and hold repairman for is a stretch in a normal or typical senerio. As you say distance. Second new owner can work on plane and any A&P can sign off condition inspections.

RV-12iS E-LSA any owner builder or not can take the 2 day course for LSA inspection and sign off 12 mo condition inspection for any E- LSA they OWN. They can not hold out their services. To do that there is a 15 day LSA course (about $5K). Then you could charge doing E-LSA and S-LSA aircraft.

In France, national regulation ( not the EASA one) applies to homebuilders, and our inspections and Return to Fly certificates are made under our full responsibility.
If you are the original builder or if your aircraft is maintained by a certificated workshop, or if you can certifiy that you have maintained it for 5 years without any non conformity noticied by Authorities, your Airworthiness certificate is valid for 3 years. My Part 66 certificate is not usefull for that.