Sallcock

Hello all

All - I am thinking of changing my RV 10 wing and fuse QB to a SB to save money with the new price hike from Van's Aircraft - I don't know if they will allow this but if they do it will save me approx. $26k - my question to any of you who may know - how much time (roughly) extra does it take to build the slow build versus the quick build - I know this is a variable answer request but I was curious before I ask Van's Aircraft

Cheers

:)

6-18 months I know that’s a big difference but it depends on you, my brother and I built the 2nd emp kit less then 3 months.

Hello all

All - I am thinking of changing my RV 10 wing and fuse QB to a SB to save money with the new price hike from Van's Aircraft - I don't know if they will allow this but if they do it will save me approx. $26k - my question to any of you who may know - how much time (roughly) extra does it take to build the slow build versus the quick build - I know this is a variable answer request but I was curious before I ask Van's Aircraft

Cheers

I've ordered RV14A QB wings and fuselage and am going through the same thought process. I did send an email to Vans asking if that would be possible, but haven't heard back yet.

Last edited:
Time

Three of us built a 10 slow build in 15 months. We worked 7 days a week and 8 hrs a day. All involved were repeat offenders so that helped.

I have done both QB and SB on a RV14A which is very similar to a 10. Based on my work habit and pace, it is roughly about 5 more weeks of work for each kit. This included priming every part with Akzo epoxy primer.

I hope this is of any help.

For me, I’d say about 6 months. Although I averaged 35 hrs/week I’d rate myself as a very slow builder.

Hello all

Cheers

Back in 2016, Allen Nelson at Synergy Air - Eugene and I (a new builder) built a slow build RV-10 fuselage to QB level in 3 1/2 weeks. That included a big do-over for the WD-1002 & 1003 firewall brackets. The kit had already been primed and skins deburred when we started. We did the wings SB to QB in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Back in 2016, Allen Nelson at Synergy Air - Eugene and I (a new builder) built a slow build RV-10 fuselage to QB level in 3 1/2 weeks. That included a big do-over for the WD-1002 & 1003 firewall brackets. The kit had already been primed and skins deburred when we started. We did the wings SB to QB in 3 weeks.

Very impressive - Thats amazing

So it sounds like doing it slowly is actually ok - ie buying the SB rather than the QB - lots of people seem to have preferred it that way over quick - good to know

Thanks all