SBendl

Patron
Hello,
my first Sky Tec 149-12 XLT Starter broke after approximately 10 Starts. I opened it and saw this plastic ring broken.
Sky Tec told me they’re not selling exchange parts for this one. Does anyone have an idea where to get this part or for an other reapairable starter fits for the EXP-119 engine?

IMG_0419.jpeg

Wondering why it broke after only a few uses? Was it kicking back and do you have your starter switch configured correctly if you are only powering the spark plugs with magnetos?
This company looks like they rebuild these.

I had a different part broken on mine (the drive gear) but a local repair shop was able to replace that assembly, and put on a new solenoid, all for under $100.

He said it's the same starter you'd find in a 90s Taurus just packaged up differently, so I suggest calling around and finding a shop which repairs starters.

I had a different part broken on mine (the drive gear) but a local repair shop was able to replace that assembly, and put on a new solenoid, all for under $100.

He said it's the same starter you'd find in a 90s Taurus just packaged up differently, so I suggest calling around and finding a shop which repairs starters.
Thanks I’ll do so!

Wondering why it broke after only a few uses? Was it kicking back and do you have your starter switch configured correctly if you are only powering the spark plugs with magnetos?
This company looks like they rebuild these.
I think it was caused by the kickback of my MTV 12 prop who has not enough torque.

Do you have high compression pistons in your RV-14 engine. I know the LS series says it can crank over those engines. I would get the HIgh torque model so you never have any issues. They also have internal anti-kick back features.
1716234203217.png