gremaley

I'm New Here
I've been scratching my head for a couple days now on this step.
Step 1 says to mark the skin edges... plural... on the trailing edge and trim to the line. This would leave a portion of the lightening hole visible on the top, but not the bottom.
Figure 2 clearly shows no lightening hole on the end at the top after trimming.

Thinking I should trim at 90 degrees, 1/8" or so below the skin edge (past the mark) and remove the partial half moon lightening hole. Directions very unclear on this.

I am brand new and maybe overthinking it?

Attachments

• IMG_20240516_084531.jpg
    IMG_20240516_084531.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240516_084523.jpg
    20240516_084523.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
You are overthinking it. As long as you have the wedge clekoed into position you will mark it at the top and bottom so that you can trim it to size. When you cleko the skins to the wedge it keeps the wedge from extending beyond the skins.
Don’t worry, based on my experience, it isn’t the first time you will spend hours thinking about something that should take minutes 🤣 The mistakes happen when you take minutes for something that you needed hours for!

You are overthinking it. As long as you have the wedge clekoed into position you will mark it at the top and bottom so that you can trim it to size. When you cleko the skins to the wedge it keeps the wedge from extending beyond the skins.
Don’t worry, based on my experience, it isn’t the first time you will spend hours thinking about something that should take minutes 🤣 The mistakes happen when you take minutes for something that you needed hours for!
Thank you!
Hopefully the further I get into the build the more I will learn to trust my instincts.
Great advice too, I forcing myself to not rush and read each page completely before building.. just want minimize dumb mistakes.

Thank you!
Hopefully the further I get into the build the more I will learn to trust my instincts.
Great advice too, I forcing myself to not rush and read each page completely before building.. just want minimize dumb mistakes.
If you haven't seen it already, check out the RV14 Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7tso79j/AABHaMhiVWFGoal2bU0ck0pJa?e=1&dl=0

It's the instructions annotated with questions people have had about each step. I had the same question as you and I'm pretty sure I found the answer through the wiki.

If you haven't seen it already, check out the RV14 Wiki: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7tso79j/AABHaMhiVWFGoal2bU0ck0pJa?e=1&dl=0

It's the instructions annotated with questions people have had about each step. I had the same question as you and I'm pretty sure I found the answer through the wiki.
I literally just found the wiki last night, very helpful!

In reference to this trailing edge trimming issue, I ended up calling support this morning just to be sure. Couple things came out of that phone call.

1. The tech basically said it didn't matter if you trimmed the trailing edge flush with the top skin (leaving the half moon portion of the lightening hole) or trimmed it to just below the lightening hole. Trimming to just below the lightening hole (as shown in figure 2) leaves a scant 1/8" or so of skin exposed which is not significant since it will be covered with fiberglass in section 12.

2. The trailing edge had a typo in the part number (they left off the "-1") in step 2 I think it was. I assumed it was a typo, but I verified just to be sure. That will be fixed in a future revision.