acpilot

Well Known Member
Patron
I believe I followed the instructions correctly when trimming the 2 outboard wing ribs, however when I went to attach the aileron hinge brackets and match drilled the #30 holes the edge distance seems quite small. When I used the calipers, it showed about 2.5 mm. To me, this seems quite close and I'm not sure I am happy with that little material. I have decided to make a couple of reinforcement type doublers that will be on the inside of the wing rib to provide a bit more strength. Curious in any others have found this while attaching the outboard hinge brakets.

Thanks

Aileron hinge bracket 2.JPGAileron hinge bracket 1.JPG

I believe I followed the instructions correctly when trimming the 2 outboard wing ribs, however when I went to attach the aileron hinge brackets and match drilled the #30 holes the edge distance seems quite small. When I used the calipers, it showed about 2.5 mm. To me, this seems quite close and I'm not sure I am happy with that little material. I have decided to make a couple of reinforcement type doublers that will be on the inside of the wing rib to provide a bit more strength. Curious in any others have found this while attaching the outboard hinge brakets.

Thanks

View attachment 60825View attachment 60826
Hi Dennis, it appears from the photo (which can be deceiving) that perhaps you trimmed too much material. Did you leave the radius of the flange intact? Step 3 on page 14-03 says to "Remove the aft flange but not the flange radius from one W-1012-R Outboard Wing Rib as shown in Figure 2."

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 21.27.48.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dennis, it appears from the photo (which can be deceiving) that perhaps you trimmed too much material. Did you leave the radius of the flange intact? Step 3 on page 14-03 says to "Remove the aft flange but not the flange radius from one W-1012-R Outboard Wing Rib as shown in Figure 2."

View attachment 60842
In this photo you can see how the aft spar sits tight to the radius portion that remains.

IMG_2852.JPG

Greg
Thank you for adding the photo. That is exactly what I did, I guess I just looked at the picture and didn’t read the fine details. I may have some extra ribs from LCP replacements or will have to order. :unsure:

Just my luck, I have a couple of W-1011 L and R and W-1010 L and R but no W-1012. I see that they are on back order as well. I was just looking and not sure why I couldn’t just use a W-1011 L/R and match drill the aileron hinge holes. The lightening holes are slightly different but strength looks the same. I will call Vans tomorrow and seek their advice. If not, then will order and wait. First screw up where I need new parts, however, probably not my last. 🤷‍♂️